Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
3805 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 11:53 AM by dodgertown1 RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 10, 2012 11:49 AM

Excel template for accounting for rentals

I have two condo's I just started renting and I'm using Excel for the accounting.  It would sure help if I could find a template someone smarter than me has developed rather than try to create one from scratch. Any suggestions? Don

• carol Senior Contributor 2,152 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2014 11:10 AM (in response to drmmca@msn.com)
    Re: Excel template for accounting for rentals

I developed a spreadsheet to track and categorize all my rental property expenses, but I can't upload it here -- excel files are not permitted file-types by the Homeaway community.  If you'd like a copy, send me a private message with your email. 

I have only one property, but I've expanded the spreadsheet to allow you to track multiple properties if you need to.  (I've blanked out my item descriptions and payee info except for a few samples, and changed the actual payment amounts around for privacy reasons, but you should be able to get the general idea.  )

There are two tabs, one where I record every payment along with the property, the date and quarter, the class of expense ( a list is at the top to remind me what they are), the actual description of what I bought/paid for, the payee, and the amount.  I do this every day so it takes only minutes.  After you've entered the various classes of payments once, Excel auto-fills so you don't need to type the whole thing over. 

The summary tab allows you to summarize the data for any fiscal quarters and years you select using an excel pivot table.  For capital expenses, we have to track the actual quarter, while for other expenses, we just use the annual summary. If you update the expense tab, you will need to "refresh" the summary table. 

Hope this is helpful!

Message was edited by: carol

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points