Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
354336 Views 1,450 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2014 6:49 PM by grace300 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 97 Previous Next
  • jwe Contributor 284 posts since
    Feb 18, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    555. Mar 5, 2012 1:21 PM (in response to worried)
    Re: Hawaii Trying to Kill VRBO

Excellent point on voluntary compliance

• Contributor 175 posts since
    Feb 22, 2012
    556. Mar 5, 2012 2:05 PM (in response to anja)

anja wrote:

[Is someone fighting?]

Good point.  It is all fair discourse, even amongst ourselves.

And, in retrospect, daring them to "throw their constituents under the bus too" may not be the best way to argue the point.

Note: I don't know who wrote the passage in question, nor if they sent it anywhere.

• New Member 14 posts since
    Mar 2, 2012
    557. Mar 5, 2012 1:38 PM (in response to sodamo)

I agree with David.  Our opposition to this bill should be unanimous, non-residents and residents alike.  It is simply bad legislation.  You cannot legislate good corporate citizenship.  Those who are not complying with present laws are no more likely to comply with new ones.  What needs to happen is for the taxation department to hire some talented people to ferret out the non-compliant owners and force them into compliance and impose penalties to deter others from behaving similarly.  We are unitied in our opposition to this piece of poorly conceived legislation.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    558. Mar 5, 2012 1:58 PM (in response to worried)

I appreciate your reasoning, 'worried'.

• sodamo Contributor 260 posts since
    Nov 5, 2011
    559. Mar 5, 2012 2:20 PM (in response to anja)

Anja

This may provide a clue:

Haven't seen ajh post today.

created by ajh in Listings - View the full discussion

We are working on a response to this fragmented and flawed bill.  It does not happen in 24 hours.

I understand the knee **** reaction is to act now, but that may not be in our best interest.  Remember that this bill must pass the House before it goes to the Governor. We all must unite and that is why we created Rental By Owner Awareness Association.

Please sign up to info@rboaa.org

We will email all a strategy that we think will benefit us all after it has been properly vetted.

Keep Fighting!

I have a problem with how the last line was acted upon.

David

Sent with Aloha from my MacBook Pro

Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

Nov 5, 2011
    560. Mar 5, 2012 2:25 PM (in response to blackburied)

blackburied

I mistakenly assumed the letter would have been posted here.

I'm attaching what I received last night.

David

Subject:      SB2089 Final Push - Please Act Today

Date:      March 4, 2012 8:50:03 PM HST

To:      info@rboaa.org

We are going to try a final push on the Senators to kill this bill before it goes to the house.  They have a final reading and a floor vote before it crosses over to the House.

We do not feel that the Senators are reading our emails or faxes.  Therefore we request that each of you cut, paste and send the following via email and text ASAP (the email and fax numbers are provided below)

• kazoom Contributor 40 posts since
    Feb 20, 2012
    561. Mar 5, 2012 2:31 PM (in response to sodamo)

When I received it, I replied and said I didn't think the letter was a good idea.  I'll admit that I hadn't even read the entire letter when I said that, but I said that if 100 of us sent the same letter to all of the Senators, I thought the result would be that they would stop reading anything we send.  A part of my real job is lobbying and I am not a big fan of form letters being sent to legislators.  Even something short in your own words is vastly better than sending yet another form letter.  I sent my own comments and did not send this form letter.

Aug 9, 2011
    562. Mar 5, 2012 3:59 PM (in response to sodamo)

To: "kazoon"....let's hope more people thought the same.

To: sodamo/David:   I, too, have a problem with how the last line was acted upon.  I do not appreciate the strategy....that person who wrote that text should not have mentioned "resident" owners...should not have "suggested" to the senators {and  PMs} that ALL owners be subject to the same legislation, if they will not drop the Bill.  Yes...the lawyer's comments sited discrimination as one of the issues....but the law firm was not suggesting a remedy, e.g. ...ALL owners should be included  to remedy the discrimination aspect.  But the "owner association" did, indeed, suggest that -- and asked everyone to use that strategy, collectively in a form letter.   I do not believe that senators here fear the rath of angry consititents faced with "local" strife against them. I do not believe that there are enough "voting" resident owners that could affect a local election against any one of those senators.

I do appreciate the reasoning stated by 'worried' {above}.  Now, I can only hope that not many people adopted that form letter word for word....IMO it's bad enough that one person sent it in -- the author. I  hope that most found it "troubling" and edited it for themselves.

Form letters:  I did read all of the testimonies, almost 600 pages, sent last week for the first SB and there were not many "form" letters...the overwhelming majority were individual comments {luckily}....but there were a few.   But, this time, a concerted action by someone motivated to speak for ALL owners provided a full text...and I fear that with the passing of the SB last week + those amendments....MORE people will be motivated to send the new letter this week.

Kudos:  I do appreciate that there is an association fighting this...owner's stand alone otherwise.

In general, I am  with 'kazoom' about form letters.  And, I'd l like to hope no one used that letter as it was written... but I am feeling that people probably did  -- to cut/paste is easier than writing one's own testimony -- and most people use form letters in a "good spirit" of solidarity -- I'm all for solidarity but we ALL need to be on the same page. Suggesting including all owners instead of only non-residents... was not a good idea, in my opinion.  Why not  hand them a loaded gun with instructions how to aim and shoot.

• New Member 20 posts since
    Mar 5, 2012
    563. Mar 5, 2012 4:07 PM (in response to cruisin9)

That is the beauty of America and what this board has been saying  -- we are allowed to disagree with each other and express our own opinion (hopefully in a polite and respectful way)  I think what info@rboaa.org is attempting to do is Alert us, it is your choice whether you choose to use the letter as provided or one of your own wording.  It is not likely that every individual who reads one letter will agree to the wording, intent or anything else.  I appreciate info@rboaa.org alerting me and providing all the email and fax numbers in one place.  I did choose to use my own words for my letter but  info@rboaa.org  made it quick work for me to cut and paste my own letter.  It is also helpful of them to alert us in a timely way as they seem to know how these Bills make their way through the system and when is the best time to communicate to the Legislature.  As the past few weeks have evolved and word has spread of these Bills it has been difficult for me to find locations to get information and I appreciate all the sources I can find.     

Feb 18, 2012
    564. Mar 5, 2012 4:22 PM (in response to anja)

anja and all,

We need to give RBOAA a chance to get off the ground and acknowledge that

everything that is done may not be perfect.  RBOAA should potentially enable

us to raise money, hire an attorney, obtain a lobbyist, issue press

releases, etc. These are incredible goals, and should overshadow any

anything related to how they may have worded something. 

I also encourage RBOAA to become more transparent and communicate what they

are doing or expect to be doing.

Lets focus on the big stuff and not how a single communication was worded.

Aug 9, 2011
    565. Mar 5, 2012 4:24 PM (in response to worried)

I completly agree with you, 'worried'.  I appreciate that there is an "owner association" that put in so many hours of gathering infor.... the email/fax numbers and links provided were a tremedous help!  We would have all been scrambling without that help. I offer many Kudos to them for that...the effort is appreciated.

• New Member 17 posts since
    Feb 21, 2012
    566. Mar 5, 2012 4:47 PM (in response to cruisin9)

I too went through all the testimony and I believe its important NEVER to copy a form letter word for word (very, very few were)- unless you completely dont understand the written word (which there are some that dont - that english is their second language).   Its great to have suggestions though.  I mostly just wrote that the bill was plain confusing and I dont have a clue what this 990 form is.  I've been writing to the senator all morning asking for copy and I still dont have anything.  If i cant understand the legislation - how can they expect people to comply with it. (i do comply with the tax stuff already, but all this other stuff in there i truly find just plain confusing and without an understanding of their goal)

Nov 5, 2011
    567. Mar 5, 2012 5:15 PM (in response to jwe)

I agree.

I was probably one of the first to sign up at RBOAA and have great hopes they can become a great voice for ALL of us.

I just wish they had followed their own plan and vetted the letter. Another 1 or 2 hours wouldn't have hurt. Hopefully, this will not become a quoted position that haunts us.

Know one of the most dangerous statements here in Hawaii?  "this is how we do it in (fill the blank with whatever locale you hail from)

David

Sent with Aloha from my MacBook Pro

Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

• New Member 20 posts since
    Mar 5, 2012
    568. Mar 5, 2012 5:30 PM (in response to cruisin9)

This is from another Board I have been following.  What do you all think of this question:

We've noticed that HB1706 and an amended version of HB2078 (HD2) also appear to be scheduled for a 3rd reading tomorrow.  Is anything being done regarding these 2 bills?  Should we be doing anything?  

Feb 18, 2012
    569. Mar 5, 2012 8:33 PM (in response to worried)

I do not understand HB 1706

It requires non-resident owners to provide the managing agent or resident

manager with the name, address and phone for the rental agent located

in the State who is responsible for the management of the unit. But it does

not seem to require a rental agent.

HB 2078 seems relatively harmless - it requires us to display a registration

number in ads.

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 97 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)