Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4976 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 8:10 PM by jeffbailey RSS
New Member 16 posts since
Jun 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 30, 2011 10:12 AM

New E-mail Templates

I was excited when I noticed VRBO/Homeaway started offering e-mail Templates. They are cusomizable and "I thought" they were triggered responses that went out automatically. These are located in your dashboard under settings.

We set them up with a response sending them to our website so they could see the property and book online etc. We started test inquiries and we never were able to get the "auto response". After a week or more of contacting support I was strucken with the reality that one has to manually send these responses by loging into their account and clicking a send button......now really? What good is that. I can type a customized response in as little time as it takes to log into my account.

I was very frustrated to learn that what I hoped would be a real business help, was nothing more than an illusion. To add insult to injury we actually received a 10:30 p.m. inquiry 2 nights ago, by the time we got to it the next morning they had found another home. Why won't Homeaway do this simple fix to help us all maintain every advantage in a competitive market?

I wrote again asking them to, maybe others are interested or the moderators will see the importance this has to our businesses.

• meredith HomeAway Employee 384 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Aug 2, 2011 3:37 PM (in response to lakelover)
    Re: New E-mail Templates

Hi lakelover,

Thanks for your comment. I am sorry that you have not found this feature useful. I will pass along your feedback about the email templates to the appropriate team here at HomeAway.

Best,

Meredith

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,353 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      Aug 2, 2011 2:15 PM (in response to meredith)
      New E-mail Templates

Meridith, I appeciate your work with these comments. I know it is your job. However, it would be nice if you could send an email to the person who is experiencing the problem - and give them a link to  the correct customer support person that can actually help them. A direct phone numer and name would be a good start.

Plese remember, we are the real paying customers . The marketing info HA & VRBO are selling is nothing compared to what they make off of those who have been paying the bills.

We are real people, with our butts on the line in this economy- not just some comment in cyber space.

With all due respect, I think we deserve better customer service.

Deb

• meredith HomeAway Employee 384 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Aug 2, 2011 3:33 PM (in response to lakelover)
    New E-mail Templates

Hi lakelover,

Got a response from the team in charge of this feature:

Thanks for your comments and insight. Our plan is to provide this “auto-send” functionality in the future (we don’t have a date at this time). The current ReservationManager email templates allow you to pre-populate standard templates that facilitate and simplify your standard responses. By sending them through ReservationManager’s functionality your potential guest gets a copy, you get a copy and the system also populates the inquiry details page with a history of these communications, which remain visible once the inquiry becomes a reservation. We continue to work diligently to make ReservationManager a business asset to better help manage your property.

Hope this helps.

Meredith

• skiandglee Active Contributor 509 posts since
      Apr 27, 2011
      Feb 27, 2012 8:23 AM (in response to lakelover)

Until they provide the auto sending of email response, might I suggest you implement your own through a gmail account?  Take about 6 seconds to make a free gmail account and once made, you can set up filters to look for the VRBO/HA email and auto respond with a canned response that you create.  Here are instructions on how to enable the canned responses in the settings by adding the canned response in Gmail Labs and then how to create a filter that triggers the auto sending of the canned response.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8259850_make-gmail-autoresponder.html

If you don't want to change your email to gmail, that's not a problem, you can have vrbo send all inquiries to your gmail account and then gmail can forward all your emails to your existing email account thereby making it a transparent auto responder.

Hope this helps.

Rick

• Contributor 26 posts since
    Feb 25, 2012
    Feb 26, 2012 11:41 PM (in response to lakelover)

Mailchimp has some pretty decent email templates as well if you're looking to send out a realtor email list

• jeffbailey Contributor 102 posts since
    Jun 3, 2011
    May 30, 2012 8:10 PM (in response to lakelover)

I think an auto-responder can be a useful feature at times and Rick's gmail suggestion is a great one until ReservationManager provides this capability.  However, I think many guests would be turned off by a canned auto-response and would much prefer a custom quote and a response to any questions in the inquiry email.  ReservationManager is a good start in being able to quickly create customized quotes, but needs to go farther in many areas, including better template capabilities and automatic quote generation based on configured rates.  I think it will get there over time. 

Jeff Bailey

Creator of Vacation Props, an innovative iPhone/iPad app to manage vacation properties and quickly respond to inquiries

http://www.fourthframe.com/FourthFrame_Technologies/VacationProps.html

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vacation-props/id452612798?mt=8

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)