Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
353964 Views 1,450 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2014 6:49 PM by grace300 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 97 Previous Next
  • Contributor 61 posts since
    Jan 6, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    300. Feb 26, 2012 8:26 PM (in response to sodamo)
    Re: Hawaii Trying to Kill VRBO

I'll be happy to write a few Big Island articles for your website to make it a bit more appealing if you like. I can include photos of the Big Island if you haven't got any.

Just an offering, peace offering that is

• Contributor 93 posts since
    Feb 20, 2012
    301. Feb 26, 2012 8:42 PM (in response to hnlhulagirl)

Great! I am licensed. Sure analyze my website! I am open for criticism of it, but not on this forum. That's not what it is for. But I also have nothing to hide. I feel so sorry that you are soooooo missing the point of all of this. We agree - get the unlicensed rentals. Find those that aren't paying taxes. We agree on that much! But what I don't think you understand is that having a realtor take over my properties will not help the state of Hawaii.

Jan 6, 2012
    302. Feb 26, 2012 8:55 PM (in response to pualanikapoho)

I totally get the realtor thing. in fact it's the worst part of the bill. But it's alls we got for now. I'm sure they will ammend that our or lossen up the language after they get a grip on hose who don't pay.

They are famous for starting someplae and ending another so, if this is the starting point, the ending can only be better. -Draconian Confucious

I'll send email via your site and make suggestions on some awesome content.

Jan 6, 2012
    303. Feb 26, 2012 8:57 PM (in response to rjwnn)

That's not unique to Hawaii and it's not unique in this economy.

But if they are regulated to cover transient rentals they would be subject to more extensive penalties , I suppose.

• rjwnn Contributor 46 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    304. Feb 26, 2012 9:38 PM (in response to hnlhulagirl)

Thank you!  You have just made our point.  There are plenty of other states in the US and elsewhere with vacation rental accommodations, so why is it that Hawaii is the only jurisdiction that finds it necessary to take unconstitutional and anti-competitive measures to line the pockets of realtors and property managers?

What extensive penalties are you talking about?

• Contributor 40 posts since
    Feb 25, 2012
    305. Feb 27, 2012 1:05 AM (in response to rjwnn)

Alright, hulagirl.  You said to do some research, so I did.  First, the Hawaii State governments own audit just a few years ago found there was a high rate of compliance--no big problem.  But then, I thought I would do a little investingating of my own.  I opened VRBO, and following your lead, I looked at every single ad for Kapoho where you said there is a great deal of non-compliance.  There are 78 ads.  Of those, 73 specifically mention Hawaii taxes as part of the cost.  5 do not.  Of those 5, 2 are from one owner who has a third ad that does mention the taxes, so I think it's safe to say that he does collect them on all properties.  That leaves 3 out of 78 that do not mention taxes.  It doesn't mean they don't collect them.  It only means they haven't mentioned it specifically in their ad.  A phone call would settle the question quickly.  But interestingly, 2 out of the 3 have Hawaii contact numbers, and the third has a California number.  So where is the huge non-resident owner non-compliance that requires such draconian measures?  You said in an earlier post that those who follow the law will be fine.  Ok--here's the situation.  Last year I collected $40,000 in rent plus $5400 for taxes.  My cost to operate the condo was $45,000 plus $5400 in taxes.  If I have to pay a manager 40% of my rent, my cost increases to $61,000.  Please tell me, how will I be fine?????!!!!!!!   Let's just say for the sake of argument that 10% of all owners are noncompliant (a figure I believe is far too high), and that they are costing the state $50,000,000 as someone has alleged (without any eveidence, of course).  That would mean 90% are compliant, but if you do the math, and if my condo is typical, it means those 90% of law abiding owners are paying $450,000,000 in GET/TAT taxes, but would have to pay managers $1,440,000,000.  Now you tell me, where is the fairness in that??????!!!!!!!!!!!!   If there is a problem, and nobody has shown any evidence whatsoever that there is other than anecdotes.  And if what you are saying about Kapoho compared to the Kapoho VRBO listing is reflective of the rest of anecdotal evidence, it is far from accurate.  I repeat what I have posted earlier.  This is not about TAT/GET.  This is a money grab on the part of a few large property managers who are in search of justification for forcing the vast majority to shell out huge sums of money into their fur lined pockets and they are simply using this as an excuse thinking they could get away with it.  The state needs to enforce existing laws.  Law breakers should be punished, not law abiders.  And the state can just as easily check things out as I did and then compare it to tax records.  To pass a law that has such devastating consequences for innocent owners without even doing a thorough study is utterly immoral.

Message was edited by: mauicondoowner

• sodamo Contributor 260 posts since
    Nov 5, 2011
    306. Feb 27, 2012 1:06 AM (in response to cruisin9)

I submitted the following as testimony

Aloha David:

OK, here's my read on these bills. The best legal analysis is found in the

Damon Key Leong Kupchak Hastert opinion on the constitutionality of HB 1707,

in a letter to the committee written and submitted by attorney Greg Kugle,

on 2/21/12. This letter is in the list of submitted testimony to HB 1707.

The same logic and legal analysis applies equally to SB 2089. I completely

agree with his solid legal reasoning.    

In summary, 1) all three bills (SB 2089, HB 1706 and HB 1707) are

fundamentally unconstitutional, as they discriminate against out of

state/off-island owners, under the Equal Protection and Commerce Clauses of

the US Constitution.  The State currently allows resident owners to own,

operate, lease, manage, etc. their own rentals. The state cannot

discriminate on the basis of residency in doing business or otherwise,

unless there is a compelling state interest.  There is none demonstrated

here  2) Statutes and rules (HRS and HAR) already exist to require anyone,

including both residents and non-residents, doing business in this state to

properly register that business and acquire business licenses and other

State/County/City required approvals for rentals.  Once a business is

properly registered, the Dept of Taxation will send the owner GET forms

which require Semi-annual or monthly payment of computed GET.  And County

property taxes are assessed annually.

The problem here is that the state has been ineffective in enforcing its

business registration rules.  Now these sponsoring legislators are trying to

fix the problem by masking it and covering it up with new legislation that

is unconstitutional.  This is legislating without a valid need or purpose.

All this will do is incite a number of well funded lawsuits against the

state and any agency attempting to enforce any one of these legislative

proposals.

All these bills need to be deferred indefinitely! This is legislating at its

worst!

Hope this helps you with an effective focus and argument against these

proposed unconstitutional rental bills.  Please feel free to use my comments

above in any written testimony you may desire to submit on SB 2089.  Note

you will have to have your written testimony submitted directly to the

Commerce and Consumer Protection Committee (CPN) no later than 10:00 am

tomorrow morning, 2/27/12.  Sen Ros Baker is the Chair.  Your submittal

should be specifically addressed to her as chair and the members generally

Let me know if I can help you any further.  Thanks for the opportunity to

provide my "realtor" opinion.

Dave Bateman

• jwe Contributor 284 posts since
    Feb 18, 2012
    307. Feb 27, 2012 2:01 AM (in response to hnlhulagirl)

Then stop ripping them off and blowing hot air

from my iPad

Feb 18, 2012
    308. Feb 27, 2012 2:03 AM (in response to kazoom)

Don't waste time on her.  She is not worth it.

from my iPad

• kazoom Contributor 40 posts since
    Feb 20, 2012
    309. Feb 27, 2012 2:09 AM (in response to jwe)

I know, jwe ... I had a momentary lapse and felt I had to say something.  I won't be doing that again since it truly is a waste of my time. 

Feb 18, 2012
    310. Feb 27, 2012 2:15 AM (in response to hnlhulagirl)

Lease do not spend time and energy responding to her.  She is trying to distract us from put top priority of stopping I'll conceived legislation

from my iPad

Feb 18, 2012
    311. Feb 27, 2012 2:48 AM (in response to hnlhulagirl)

Great idea but we also need to include all rentals whether resident  or non resident, all used car sales must go through a car dealer and all Internet sales mustvgo through a government approved organization

from my iPad

Feb 18, 2012
    312. Feb 27, 2012 2:58 AM (in response to rjwnn)

In truth, when I stayed in Prague I the 1970's when it was behind the iron curtain we were required to obtain our accommodations for a government sponsored  organization.  This is no different.  Only Prague has shifted toward liberty and HI may be going on the other direction.

from my iPad

Feb 18, 2012
    313. Feb 27, 2012 2:58 AM (in response to pualanikapoho)

Don't waste your time on her.  She is tRying to distract us from our goal

from my iPad

• New Member 13 posts since
    Feb 15, 2012
    314. Feb 27, 2012 3:56 AM (in response to jwe)

http://www.hawaiifreepress.com/ArticlesMain/tabid/56/ArticleType/ArticleView/ArticleID/6184/Default.aspx

Please do not forget the letters to the editors.  I think sometimes the legislature is more afraid of the public actually figuring out what they are doing than our actual testimoney.  These bills will cause huge economic downturn in Hawaii.   Everyone who you write checks to, or who your tourists give money to will also lose that income.  They in turn will fire employees that they don't need.  Plumbers, contractors, painters, furniture stores, housekeepers, and so on and so forth.  As you prepare your taxes you will see all of the many checks you have sent out.  If we don't profit, we sell our condos and buy in southern California or Florida or elsewhere that we can invest our dollars. 

As far as Roz Baker, she is happier having people beg her and then purposely go against them.  I wouldn't bother with her but rather mention name her in the letters to the editors = that is way more effective with her.  She's a control freak in bed with the hotel unions and every other union.  She doesn't like to see her name in print though telling the truth.... 

letters@mauinews.com, letters@starbulletin.com, letters@honoluluadvertiser.com, letters@hawaiitribune-herald.com, hfpeditor@email.com, lahnews@maui.net, letters@kauaipubco.com, malia@hawaiiReporter.com, office@mauiweekly.com, news@hawaii247.com, releases@haw

Message was edited by: mauijan releases@hawaiistar.com, webmaster@staradvertiser.com, editorial@honoluluweekly.com, rkozerski@thegardenisle.com, editor@mauitime.com, editor@themolokaidispatch.com, Nshorenews@aol.com

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 97 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)