Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
6262 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2012 11:42 PM by info@stayattremblant.com RSS
Active Contributor 295 posts since
Jun 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 25, 2012 2:16 PM

musing on ways how VRBO/HomeAway can secure (foolproof) Email Inquiries

I’ve been musing on ways how VRBO/HomeAway can secure (foolproof) Email Inquiries, and this is what I’ve come up with. Perhaps VRBO/HomeAway might consider this.

With this system, Owners will be able to view Traveller’s Inquiry using one of two methods depending which criteria they meet. There is no other way to view Inquiry outside of these two methods.

1st Method:

Owners with two forwarding email addresses for Inquiry Notification may continue to receive inquiries via email (after an initial and one time certifying that they are using different passwords for each).

2nd Method:

Owners with only one email address will receive an email notification advising them they have an Inquiry and to view it they have to login to their website via their normal method. Once they login, a pop-up window will come up letting them know they have an inquiry and to answer a security Question to view the inquiry. After successfully answering the security question, it takes them to the Inquiry Page. They can then choose to reply from the website, or click on a link to force open their preferred email client or email web browser.

Of course the 2nd method is tiresome, but Owners can easily create a secondary email address to be able to use the 1st method.

• kiawahcottage Community All-Star 375 posts since
    Jan 1, 2011

Hey Tfv,

They already have something like this, its just a little obscure and its kind of hard to find.

On VRBO you can set up a secondary e-mail address to receive inquiries.  Go to edit on your VRBO and then go to the contacts tab.  I think it would be pretty hard for scammers to get both emails.  For me I use my wife's e-mail for the secondary.  She checks with me if she sees an inquiry.

On HA they have a text message alert.  Under listing editor, contacts, you can add text alerts to your cell phone.  My cell gets an alert when an inquiry comes in.

This would protect you from a e-mail hijacker but probably not from a keylogger attack. We do need more information...

Paul

• sodamo Contributor 260 posts since
    Nov 5, 2011

Perhaps a simple way...

Potential renter sends inquiry through VRBO

That triggers email alert from VRBO owner using email or text to owners choice of address on file.

Owner logs in to VRBO to retrieve inquiry using either account password or perhaps an inquiry only password.

Owner chooses to respond directly or through reservation manager.

Set up property the time difference should be in just minutes at most.

Owner still has total control and chooses what level of info goes through VRBO after completing initial contact.

David

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)