Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
7221 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2012 7:57 AM by emily25 RSS
poodle New Member 12 posts since
Jul 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 27, 2011 11:53 AM

How to get a deep clean that is deep enough?

We have 2 rental properties and typically visit each of them once a year for 3+ weeks each. But vacations are starting to become a drag for me because I spend a solid work week (40 hours) cleaning each time I come. This is in addition to replace and repair time which is another work week. So my "vacation home" rarely offers me a vacation.

I contract several deep cleans per year with the maid services. This visit I did one just before we came. But there is still grime buildup, finger prints, accumulations behind and under furniture, mildew in grout, major dust around blinds and louvers etc.Our rental on the beach in Hawaii is the worst. I end up hand washing entire walls:scuffs at the bottom, food in the midle and cobwebs and dust at the top. I feel if its that bad after a year then in 2 years I will start getting complaints. I get the feeling that people in the industry just expect you to repaint every 3 or 4 years?

This time I had a deep clean done while I was here. This was after I had already asked for a deep clean before I came. Two cleaning people spent most of the day. But when I tried to explain to them that I wanted only specific items done they just did not get it. So they cleaned the place like a normal top to bottom departure clean and tried to also do the extra items I requested. I said I wanted every kitchen cabinet door inspected and washed on the inside and out and every drawer emptied washed and refilled. But their effort was haphazard.

I don't feel like I am a clean freak. But I don't want to do repainting every 4 years and a remodel every 10 years just to compensate for lack of cleaning. People pay a lot of money to stay at our place. They expect a lot in return.

Suggestions?

• meredith HomeAway Employee 384 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Jul 29, 2011 11:09 AM (in response to poodle)
    Re: How to get a deep clean that is deep enough?

Hi poodle,

Sounds like you are a very concientious owner! Thanks for your question. I am sure some Community members will have suggestions for you but in the meantime I wanted to point out this article on hiring a housekeeper as well as this list of items to ask for when you schedule a deep clean. There is also a discussion on cleaning fees that my be helpful when figuring how to off-set your costs.

Best,

Meredith

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aug 3, 2011 11:09 AM (in response to poodle)

I think the deeper issue is that the home is not being adequately between check outs.  Food should be cleaned off the walls and never left on past the next check in.  The kitchen cabinets should be wiped down every time.  Blinds should be wiped down everytime and furniture should be vacuumed under, behind and beneath the cushions between each check out.  You probably need to get new cleaners for the checkin/checkout days. My housekeeper does all of the these things.  Good luck!  Finding a good housekeeper is a real challenge.  I've gone though 3 in the past 9 months!

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
      Nov 9, 2011
      Feb 19, 2012 9:35 AM (in response to sophie)

Hi Sophie

How much time do you typically allocate for clening between tenants?how many bedroom and bathrooms does your home have. Just trying to get a sense of timing.

• New Member 18 posts since
        Aug 6, 2011
        Feb 22, 2012 7:28 PM (in response to marilyn)

Hi Marilyn

My name is Tina and I own a housekeeping business that specializes in rental cleaning.  I would be more than happy to help you figure out what rates you should be paying and just what you should get for your money.  I am not trying to solicit my services as I do not know where you are located but I do see alot of homeowners being taken by housekeepers and I would like to offer to help you with any questions you may have..Tina

Nov 9, 2011

Hi Tina

Thanks for your generous offer. My homes are located in the Hamptons, Long Island, New York.

After several trials with various cleaning services, I think I have found the proper set of cleaners.

With 7 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms in each home, times 7 homes AND with turn overs typically on Fridays or Sundays, I am able to use 2 or 3 different cleaning services. Based on my instructions, we are able to turn over a home in 3 hours with two people. Needless to say, they do not have the time to do the outdoors. Hence we have a separate person who goes from home to home and does the outdoors and the BBQ.

I have tried a variety of different people and I think I have finally landed the right sets for me. BUT, every season is different and I am sure I will have my challenges this coming summer as well.

Thank you for your kind offer

Mar5ilyn

www.hamptonhouseproperties.info

Nov 9, 2011
      Feb 19, 2012 12:23 PM (in response to poodle)

Fabulous idea

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
      Dec 10, 2010
      Feb 20, 2012 11:31 PM (in response to poodle)

Good way to solve the problem, poodle.  I like how you switched up your rentals to monthly and then when you visit you come out a little early to be there when the deep clean is being done.  That way you get exactly what you want.  I learned that I need to be more specific with my deep cleaning instructions.  I paid $150 in advance for our housekeeper to do what was essentially a glorified regular cleaning.  When I got there and saw dust on the wooden window blinds, fuzzy lampshades, dust behind the refrigerator...I flipped and felt really taken.  Now I don't pay anyone in advance and I have a specific list of what is to be done for the deep clean. 

• New Member 18 posts since
      Aug 6, 2011
      Feb 22, 2012 7:31 PM (in response to poodle)

It seems like you may be wasting alot of money and many of the steps can be eliminated with the proper cleaning checklist and housekeeper.  I own an executive housekeeping business and would be more than happy to help you should you have any housekeeping question.  I have been doing this many years and employ 45 girls on the coast.  Please feel free to ask me anything you might need help on..Thanks

Subject: Re: How to get a deep clean that is deep enough? - Re: How to get a deep clean that is deep enough?

To: "tina.chabotcarlson" <tinachabot@ymail.com>

Date: Sunday, February 19, 2012, 5:11 PM

Seek Advice. Get Answers. Optimize your Vacation Rental Business.

Re: How to get a deep clean that is deep enough? created by poodle in Housekeeping - View the full discussion

Well its 6 months since I first posted this topic and this is my new way of handling this:

I do just month rentals now at my 3 bedroom 1500 square foot beach front townhouse. I allow 1 or 2 days in between for cleaning and maintenance. Between rentals a contract cleaner comes out first and cleans. Then my care taker comes and inspects and cleans anything that needs more cleaning and fixes stuff.

Then before we visit the place ourselves a normal departure clean happens. But I also schedule a cleaning service to be there on the first full day I am there. I fly earlier than the rest of my family and I have the cleaners clean stuff strictly from my list while I am there doing other stuff. Thus I can inspect each item.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

Start a new discussion in Housekeeping by email or at Community

© 2010 HomeAway.com Inc. 1011 W. Fifth Street, Suite 300, Austin, TX 78703

Please add us to your address book to ensure you continue receiving HomeAway emails.

View our Privacy Statement | Contact Us | Terms & Conditions

• New Member 4 posts since
    Feb 20, 2012
    Feb 20, 2012 6:17 PM (in response to poodle)

Would you like to give someone else a try, I have great references and will do an excellant job.  I actually have a Tennessee Real Estate license (Ret.) and know what deep clean is....

Claudine  941-258-8184  feel free to give me a call look foward to discussing how we can help eachother

• New Member 2 posts since
    Apr 14, 2012
    Apr 14, 2012 7:57 AM (in response to poodle)

Nice but i am using only one service : http://www.mtoclean.com/

For Home cleaning , carpet cleaning , office cleaning all for this one its too good.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points