Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
7518 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2012 3:56 PM by 2barefeet RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Jan 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 6, 2011 3:19 PM

Funny guest complaints!

Our rental property is in Texas and we had a large family from the NJ area come down and spend the holidays here. They were pleased with the property through out their stay but seemed almost annoyed in a follow up email. They said,

"It was all perfect except for NO WHITE CHRISTMAS! The kids were really disappointed."

We're in Texas! Anyway, I've decided to just laugh it off because there's nothing I can do to make it snow here on Christmas... it hasn't in at least 100 years (or ever?) so why would it just because THEY were here? And they said everything about the property was perfect so I realize that there are some people that will just find SOMETHING to complain about.

You can't sweat the small stuff!!!

• Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2011 9:35 AM (in response to rentingintexas)
    Funny guest complaints!

Hi rentingintexas and welcome to the Community!

Dah!    You would think that they would have researched your area to make sure there was at least the possibility of snow if snow during the holidays is that important to them!

I guess the only way to look at it is to make sure your next winter holiday renters realize that your area doesn't get snow!  Assume nothing!

I look forward to future discussions with you and other members of the Community!

• New Member 5 posts since
      Feb 1, 2011
      Feb 11, 2011 6:42 PM (in response to lbcottage)
      Funny guest complaints!

Our rental is in Branson Mo and I had a potential renter ask me if there would snow on Christmas.  Well, Branson does get snow but I could not guarentee there would snow on Christmas. They do sometimes ask the silliest questions.

• New Member 14 posts since
        Feb 11, 2011
        Feb 11, 2011 7:41 PM (in response to cartram56)
        Funny guest complaints!

I had a renter who was deathly afraid of being killed and eaten by a bear!  The guy was from Egypt and not exactly an outdoorsman.  The cabin is in the Smokies and we do have bears occasionally, but they've never been known to kill anyone so far as I know...

• Contributor 30 posts since
      Feb 24, 2011
      Feb 21, 2012 5:44 PM (in response to lbcottage)
      Re: Funny guest complaints!

How many stars did they give you.  Perhaps they we trying to be funny (because their comment intentional or not is a scream).

• New Member 6 posts since
    Feb 19, 2011
    Feb 19, 2011 1:03 AM (in response to rentingintexas)
    Funny guest complaints!

I love this thread!

Mine is:  I really want to stay someplace out of the way, in the jungle, experience the real " enter name of place", dont want to hear any road noise, get away from all the touristy stuff.... when they get here:  WOW that was a one lane road! that was scary,someone should do something, the grocery store is 2 miles away!!  OMG how do you survive!  WOW the rooster crowed and woke me up! HUH?

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
      Nov 9, 2011
      Feb 18, 2012 1:55 PM (in response to somewhereinparadise)

One of our guests was distraught that the outdoor mat at the rear of the house had some dirt and leaves on. This was four hours after our cleaning service had left. Guest demanded I come over and remove the leaves which I did. When she complained that the tv in the living room was not working I asked her to Che k if it was plugged in. She said yes, so off I went to check it out. Seems her young son had switched from tv to games on the tv remove. When she called a third time that the phone was not working, I asked if it was plugged in, she said yes along with a bunch of other choice words. I arrived at my home to find the phone plugged in at one end a d not the other.

I could only laugh uncontrollably when I left the house.

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
        Dec 10, 2010
        Feb 21, 2012 12:06 PM (in response to marilyn)

One of our guests--an elderly gentleman from Kentucky--could not figure out how to turn on the shower so he called our maintenance provider.  They came out and showed him that it was just a matter of pulling the center knob out and turning it to the left for hot or right for warm.  The guest showed him that he was tugging on the shower head itself but no water would come out.  The maintenance guy said he felt kind of bad for the old guy because he seemed genuinely confused by our very basic shower controls.  The guest thanked him for the instruction and then our maintenance man left.

Half an hour later, the guest called asking for help with the shower again.  He had gone back to pulling on the shower head and it wasn't producing water.  <Sigh> The maintenance man turned around and went back up to show him again.  The guest said he felt bad about calling him out again but he just couldn't get it to work.  Poor guy.

The guests left a $10 tip and I asked the housekeeper to share it with the maintenance man for his time and gas.  She was happy to share the tip and said he definitely earned it

• stjvilla Active Contributor 626 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    Feb 21, 2012 1:02 PM (in response to rentingintexas)

Maybe this tale should go under "Ridiculous Ways Guests Try To Get A Discount" but it was also very funny.  After staying the full week they had booked, a guest called our manager to demand a partial refund.  He said, "I had no idea there could be lizards in the house!"  The manager pointed out that this is the tropics, the lizards are very small (3-4") and in the close up photos of our house, there was one of a tiny lizard on the wall which he must have seen.  Maybe we should advertise them as Mosquito Eradication Staff?  (BTW - no refund.)

• Contributor 62 posts since
    Nov 2, 2011
    Feb 23, 2012 12:45 PM (in response to rentingintexas)

Very funny thread!

I had a complaint/suggestion that amused me...

"We loved the cabin and had a great time, however sleeping arrangements were not great. You said the sofa was a queen sized sleeping sofa, but it was only large enough for 1 child. The sheets and bedding were also too large. If you don't want to get a bigger sofa, you should at least advertise it as a twin size instead of a queen."

It stumped me for a minute...and then I realized she hadn't opened the sofa up to become a queen bed. Instead the poor child slept on top of the sofa wrapped in queen sized sheets and bedding.

What's truly funny, is that when I spoke with her prior to her stay, I asked if she knew how the sleeper sofa worked. She was indignant and insulted and told me 'It's a sofa that sleeps people...I'm pretty sure I can figure that out!"

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
      Nov 9, 2011
      Feb 23, 2012 1:37 PM (in response to trace!)

it's the ones who say they can figure it out in a not so nice tne that really can't!

Marilyn

www.hamptonhousepropertiedinfo

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
        Dec 10, 2010
        Feb 24, 2012 6:33 PM (in response to marilyn)

I have another one.  Years ago our guest who had just check-in, called me and asked for the key to open "the locked door" so they could get to the lower level of the house.  I told her that was the owner's closet and we didn't have a lower level.  She was adamant that there were 3 levels advertised in our VRBO listing and she was certain because she saw a light coming from the foundation of the house.  Turns out someone had left the light on under the crawl space area where we keep ladders and other junk.  It took about a minute or two for her to cool down and realize I wasn't withholding anything from her.  

• New Member 5 posts since
    Sep 3, 2011
    Sep 4, 2012 4:31 PM (in response to rentingintexas)

We have had 2 guests complain that the air conditioning was not working. "The fan is blowing but the air is not cooling." Both of these complaints came from Texans who also happen to be my family members.  My response: You are in the mountains of Colorado. Open the windows! (They had the heat running.)

Pam 147530

• iopbeachhouse Community All-Star 455 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    Sep 4, 2012 6:38 PM (in response to rentingintexas)

Had a guest last summer who complained that we had spiders....outside...on the porch! Really?

• mauioceanview Contributor 251 posts since
      Jul 22, 2011
      Sep 4, 2012 8:20 PM (in response to iopbeachhouse)

I had a guest call on his second day in our condo to say he loved the condo. 'Oh, and my two daughters caught three little lizards... and... put them outside... was that okay?' hahaha. I told him they are geckos, eat bugs and that no, he wasn't in violation of 'our pet policy'. lol.

• densheff New Member 11 posts since
    Sep 20, 2012
    Sep 20, 2012 3:47 PM (in response to rentingintexas)

I don't think that is a negative at all as long as you got five stars.  Your reply should have been like what you wrote for us.  It hasn't snowed here in 100 years which is why northerns love to come to Texas for the Holidays. Remember, Ervin Berlin wrote White Christams in sunny California... so come on down song writers and write a bigger hit, Texas Style.

• Currently Being Moderated
      Sep 30, 2012 3:28 PM (in response to densheff)

I had a guest complain that the rain would get the terrace wet at the beach house, What do you expect on a beach front property with great ocean view? A big wall to prevent the rain and miss the scenery?

Go back to your apartment in the city and watch the travel channel, you may be happier and dryer.

• 2barefeet Contributor 89 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    Sep 30, 2012 3:56 PM (in response to rentingintexas)

I had a guest call on his way - he had gotten lost..even though I provide a mapquest link on my check-in information (we are out of the city limits so I figure it can't hurt).  After getting him to the condo (whew!! he was going the wrong way in MS and we are in AL!), he called the next day.  He had forgotten the door code.  Not sure this time if alcohol could have attributed to the memory loss, but we got the code and got him in.  A few days go by so I figure all is well.......a phone call.  'do you know your washer is broken? We are having to use a knife to pull the knob out to start it?'...huh???? you don't pull - just turn the knob.  It actually said that on the machine!  Turns out he left a great review and even recommend a us to a friend who booked this year!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)