Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
7264 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2012 4:16 PM by twobitrentals RSS
New Member 6 posts since
Feb 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 21, 2012 4:37 PM

Anticipating a bad review.

We recently had three guests in our vacation rental and are anticipating a lousy review.  First let me say we have been very fortunate with the caliber of guests we have had to date. All, save one 4 star rating, of our 32 reviews have been 5 out of 5 stars.  With that said, here is our story.

Upon being told that the gentleman joining the two women here was 87 years old my husband made sure to relay that the rental has a spiral staircase which leads to the entrance.  We were assured it would be no problem.  More on this later.

They arrived here with no food due to having no time to shop. We offer bottles of wine for sale and they agreed to the $14.00 price as well as asking for a carton of our milk they could have for coffee in the morning. Later they requested we drive them to the nearest restaurant which is only a 5 minute walk.  The only transportation we include is pickup and drop off at the pier upon arrival on our small island.  We said we would do it this time.  They then asked if I could pick them up when finished.  I hesitated but then said yes if they could call around 8:30 as we retire around 9pm.  They called at 9:45 and I waited for another 10 minutes as they merrily made their way down the steps.  The following morning they wanted to go into the city for food shopping and requested we drive the 87 year old to breakfast and back as he did not wish to walk.  We figured this would be it so, again, acquiesced.  Neither time did they offer a small payment or tip. 

The next request was to allow them admittance into our home for all of their comings and goings as he did not like going down the spiral stairs. Our home is located next door separated by locked and bolted double doors. I said I was sorry but this is our private home and we do not allow guests access.  She did not look pleased.

The day prior to their departure I totaled up the bill ($19.00) which included a slice of homemade key lime pie and gave it to them. I was paid the price with a slight 5% tip included.  Upon their leaving there was no thank you so much for all of your help, only an over the shoulder as she was leaving “thanks” from the woman who requested access to our home. 

She just sent an email which is inquiring as to the return of the “refundable” dog deposit, which we are returning, as well as the return of the 5% tip.  I am in shock.  My main concern is the probable poor review.  Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Feb 21, 2012 5:07 PM (in response to jmarie)
    Re: Anticipating a bad review.

jmarie,

I don't necessarily think this shows they are going to write a bad review.  I know I have tons of renters who I was sure were going to write a bad review but none either came through or a good one came through.  It is not uncommon for guests to act this way.  Just read the forum and you will see that many guests don't say thank you for many many things that us owners do for them.

I seriously wouldn't worry about it...especially with the amount of 5 stars you have. Even if they do leave a review, you have an opportunity to tell your side of your story...which is my opinion would make the guests looks like idiots for posting a bad review.

32 positive reviews....that's amazing!

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    Feb 21, 2012 5:16 PM (in response to jmarie)

What's the damage that a bad review will bring?  $10?  $50? $500? 

I'd post it under "marketing" and include the extra 5% in their refunded deposit.  Grit your teeth while typing in the payment - at least they won't have to see that you're not smiling while you do it.

Funny this should come up this afternoon.  This week's renter at our Lodge house believes he saw W/D in the amenities listing.  He'll here all week with 2 small kids.  It doesn't matter that I know that I didn't tick the W/D box in HomeAway - he believes he saw it, and perception is reality.  The renter made it very clear that he had expected there to be a W/D in the house, and hoped we could help him out with a solution.

Additionally, earlier this week he called me at 1:30 because a circuit breaker blew.  1:30 AM.  Thankfully, we're only 1/4 mile from the Lodge house, so after slipping something on over my jammies I went over and reset it (it's in the basement which is off-limits to guests).

Back to the W/D - While there IS a laundromat within about 10 minutes, I made him the offer of using our personal washer dryer - and he took me up on it.  I picked up a couple pillowcases of jeans and t-shirts this afternoon, and brought them back home.  And so here I sit typing this post, listening to the dryer finish the second load.  I'll finish folding them and return them later this evening.  Does that suck or what?

No, at least not for me.  While I certainly wouldn't THINK of doing this on a regular basis, there are times to bend the rules. I hope I've turned what was probably going to be a bad review based on the circuit breaker and the W/D issue into a good review.  And if my time is worth $50 an hour, then I just "bought" a good review for under $100.  Not a bad way to spend my marketing dollars.

Jul 6, 2011
        Feb 21, 2012 5:38 PM (in response to jmarie)

'Perhaps no fabric softener...?"

Nah - I could never do that.  His two little kids are real cuties.

Besides, after meeting him, I believe the renter's "brashness" is truly driven simply by the desire to make his wife and children happy.  Sometimes it's hard to keep in mind that we all screw up from time to time, whether it's not recognizing that this particular house doesn't have W/D checked, or not realizing util it's too late that "Holy moley - I just realized it's 1AM and I called the owner!" 

I look back on all the stupid things I've done and regretted 5 minutes later, and realize I've received amazing amounts of grace in my life. I need to dole it out in equal measure.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
          Aug 9, 2011
          Feb 21, 2012 10:06 PM (in response to swiss-house)

I really like your reply, swiss-house.  I, too, feel that I've received "...amazing amounts of grace in my life"....and I too remember to pay it forward...so I love that you wrote that.  My own "amazing grace paid to me" helps me to stay balanced and grounded....gives me confidence...and gives me the strength and the will to "be the professional with the rare and odd graceless guest.....to turn the situation into a positive."   I've been in situations, as other Owners, with totally "graceless" people in my home...people I've done so much for to help make their holidays here not only work...but help to make them great holidays...and in at least one situation I know I saved someone's holiday! Did I get any appreciation from them?  No.  A thank you?  No.  A nice or even a neutral review?  No.   Their gracelessness {is that a real word?} during the stay if we interacted...and at the check out....and after they've returned home... always leaves me feeling "insecure" and sometimes even a bit anxious over whether there would be a stupid review, in the end that I'd have to deal with.   I have never been confronted face to face with an unhappy guest...but the "graceless" types leave me "wondering" how they feel. A non response is unnerving, for me, sometimes.  I'd rather people tell me if something  isn't as I promised it would be...give me a chance to "help you"...rather than stew in silence...go home to hit the Internet to moan about something nit picky.

Back to JMarie: Unless you have reason to believe that those folks were unhappy with the quality of the accommodations...the services you went above and beyond to provide...they most likely will not be leaving a bad review....they just seem the "graceless" type...and won't give you any consideration...they probably will not take the path of "gracious" to leave you with any sense of positive review at all....or even bother writing a neutral or bad review. I think that the "graceless" are too self absorbed to care even that much.  And, that's the best, under the circumstances.  You deserve a Platimum Medal for being the "gracious" host!

Mar 4, 2011
      Feb 21, 2012 5:34 PM (in response to swiss-house)

Isn't is amazing the things we do to make renters happy. And even more amazing the attitude that many guests give us after going above and beyond!  I wonder if your laundry guy will even thank you for staying up half the night doing his laundry!

• New Member 11 posts since
    Aug 31, 2011
    Feb 21, 2012 6:41 PM (in response to jmarie)

jmarie, I know the difficulty of waiting around for a bad review to appear, if it's going to.  Fortunately the dread didn't end in a bad review, so far.  Our bad customer was with us over Christmas, and reading through discussions here, she matched some sort of profile I saw mentioned a few times:  very upper middle class couple, seemed ideal, no warning signs whatsoever until after check-in.  Then odd complaints started, then outright fabrications.  The threat of a bad review if we didn't return part of the amount paid.  We refused and offered to refer the matter to our attorney, and never heard from her again.  The game with the particular type of bad customer we got saddled with appears to be threats with a goal of getting some money back. 

Since your customer didn't threaten a bad review, I'd just chalk it up as terrible customer and move on.  Obviously to avoid trouble as swiss-house says I'd pay the tip back and be glad they're gone.  (I would also - and this is me - be fawningly gracious about how you enjoyed their stay and hope they'd come see you again.  It's a bit of social engineering that takes the wind out of any sails of desire to pen a bad review.) 

Now, your listing should mention the spiral staircase.  It should also make at least a minor mention of not being handicap accessible, at least in the list of amenities.  I'd spin the spiral staircase positively; something like "elegant spiral staircase takes you to and from your front door;" whatever is appropriate for your property. 

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 865 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Feb 24, 2012 7:39 AM (in response to jmarie)

I have been adding this to our quote and contract but I quite honestly do not know if it is legal or not to do so.  They certainly have the right to opt out.

NOTE:      Because owner appreciates tenant renting this condo the following offer is made.  If the tenant writes a totally positive "Renters Response" on VRBO # _ _ _ _ _ _ _ then the owner will send a appreciation gift of $100 back to the tenant once the response is posted on VRBO.  Naturally, you are only asked to do this if you are in total agreement and totally satisfied with the renting experience of VRBO # _ _ _ _ _ _.  The amount of $100 and the resulting Refundable Security Deposit will be sent immediately after the "Renters Response" is posted on VRBO as well as the cleaners assessment of the unit after you have left.  If you agree to this please initial here:  __________.  If you opt out of this marketing offer please initial here: __________.

Out of 15 responses I have had only one that signed this and then they got their money back.

Mar 4, 2011
      Feb 24, 2012 9:22 AM (in response to crescentbeach4u)

I too wonder about the legality of this but more than that.....you are paying $100 for a review! I'm quite surprised and as a renter would probably be a bit offended at this offer.  That is probably why you only have 1 person that has taken you up on it. I would re-think this as it may come back to earn you a negative review from someone.

• loscuatrotulipanes Community All-Star 232 posts since
    Oct 7, 2011
    Feb 24, 2012 8:35 AM (in response to jmarie)

I would like to share a little story about bad reviews, good ways of handling them, and positive outcomes that don't cost anything in the end. We had a guest who was unhappy for a number of reasons and he wrote our first negative review (out of 180 excellent reviews!!!). In turn, I responded to the review hyper-objectively assuring both the guest (and anyone who might read the review) that all the problems had been remedied. In the end, the guest retracted the review and is excited to come back for 2 night stay.

Here is the full correspondence between me and unhappy guest...

• skiandglee Active Contributor 509 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    Feb 24, 2012 3:22 PM (in response to jmarie)

Definitely one of the great feelings is the feeling of being appreciated for all your efforts.  In this business, you will find many that feel entitled to more and take advantage of your good intentions.  You are right when you say take the high road, kill them with kindness!  One thing I will point out that you did that certainly would not help your cause was giving back the 5% tip.  That surely will only irk the renter and cause mediocre feelings to turn worse. 

I once did that when I was a waiter in college.  Table of 4 guys and I gave them superb services, was always there waiting to get them the next beer or whatever.  They left me $1.  One of the guys stayed at the bar and I gave the $1 to him sayng I didn't need it that bad.  It was just me acting out at my frustration that they took advantage of my hard work without appreciating me.  It backfired, he told the manager what I did and the manager was furious with me.  Gained me nothing and I was out the $1! 

So, stick to the high road and stay up there!

Rick

Jul 6, 2011
      Feb 24, 2012 6:30 PM (in response to skiandglee)

Rick -

From the way I read the OP's entry, the guest was actually asking for their 5% tip back - the owner wasn't simply returning it out of spite.  If the renter did ask for their tip back, to not do so or to ignore the question would not be in the owner's best interests.

TC

Aug 9, 2011
        Feb 24, 2012 7:16 PM (in response to swiss-house)

Yes, that's the way I also understood it....the "guest" asked for their "tip" to be returned.  Stunning.

Aug 9, 2011
      Feb 24, 2012 9:10 PM (in response to skiandglee)

"skiandgle" {Rick}....you said it well...I agree ...and I think we'd all agree with you:  "... one of the great feelings is the feeling of being appreciated for all your efforts." Personally, I also agree it's best to always take the "high road"....I always have done so...and I always benefited.  I get as frustrated {and cheesed off} like the best of us....but I always take a "breath"  before I have to send a response that I am not happy to write...and I always weigh every word I speak over the phone and face to face  with all guests on site...but I've never had to deal  {yet...touch wood} with what "jmarie" has had to.   I feel for "jmarie" because, in her words:

"It is just so "unsettling" I suppose to have such negative types    radiating this energy nearby."  But...we have to "divorce" ourselves from their negative energy...and "kill them with kindness" as already stated.  I think "jmarie" handled it as best she knew how under those uncomfortable circumstances with those "ungrateful" people.  The "negative types" are very emotionally draining...prior, during, and after the stay.  Some people are inherently negative...they just are.  I had a guest a year ago who was just not able to say "anything" positive...about "anything"....it began in the initial emails...{no review...I was thankful ! Her "negative energy" was a "negative presense" on our property. I was "relieved" when "no review" resulted. She's the type that could manage to include some odd  "off" remark in any comment....and I have no idea if she liked my place because she wasn't able to utter a syllable of "niceness" during the entire stay  - void-   but  I could only assume that she did like it because she did not complain or bother to write a review.}    She was quite daunting.  Some people will never be satisified...and if they were...they'd never tell you!  They'd just say, nothing...because they lack etiquette. Some people do not have a personal vocabulary that includes: "please" and  "thank you". ...they are "takers".  We, Owners, as you've nicely stated, would like to feel "appreciated".  For the second time in a couple of months, I'm dealing with a couple right now who sends email after email with questions to help them...and I am always fine with being helpful... but neither the wife nor the husband ever corresponds by using  a "greeting"...or ...a "saluation"...they never include  "please" ...or...close with a "thank you"...and they type everything in lower case with no punctuation!  They simply have no time for "nice".   In their written tone...they are seriously void of any  "graciousness"....and I'm trying my best "NOT" to feel regret that I booked this couple...a nice booking in April for 18 nights.   I'm working on myself to "let my feelings go" about these two...I will welcome them with the "aloha" I do everyone...and they will have the "lifestyle" that I offer to everyone, equally. {I"m hoping we both have a good rental experience.}  I will deal with them as the "pro" that I am. So, this is the experience of dealing with the "ungracious" guest.  And, mine haven't arrived yet...so I really feel for "jmarie"....she jumped through all the hoops to "help" her guests...and now she feels the "unsettled" emptiness of having hosted the "ungracious" people.  It's part of this "trade".  Thankfully, the majority of my guests are "wonderful"....they cancel out "ungracioius" ones.

• bobbie32 Senior Contributor 1,084 posts since
        May 21, 2011
        Feb 26, 2012 6:15 PM (in response to jmarie)

Even though we take a security deposit and have a cancellation policy stating that the amount paid will only be refunded if we are able to rebook - we no longer hold any amount of the security deposit for damage and always refund money regardless of the cancellation policy.  In other words, I am saying that we give them anything they want.  Given the nature and frequency of bad reviews and the games people play, I am simply not willing to take the chance.  There are some not-so-nice people in this world.  If we do refund money, they will never be allowed back - this is punishment enough.  I want to sleep at night and feel that I can try to discourage bad behavior with our policies, but I can no longer enforce those polices.  It is simply not worth the chance of a bad review which we have never received.  We think we are being pro-active, but it allows us to sleep at night.

But I do have a question for jmarie - do you have a chauffeur's license?  Here in California, there is no way that we could shuttle people around without a permit and/or license to do so.  Just curious...

• twobitrentals Community All-Star 1,355 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    Mar 28, 2012 8:13 PM (in response to jmarie)

Well, as many of you already know, I had the vacationers from hell back in January, where the police were called not once, but twice. After the first call, I got many calls from neighbors. I then called the vacationer and told her that if there were another incident that she would have to leave immediately as I could not have my neigborhood disturbed in this manner.

You guessed it...next day....their auto rolled down the driveway ejecting everything in the automobile over about a block of the neighbor. Not one, but two police cars showed up.

I called and told them to leave immediately. The police officer did a walk through the house to make sure that they had not done any damage.

Not only did I NOT refund their deposit, I didn't not refund the balance of their visit. I was expecting a bad review......Nothing! PHEW!

However, after reading the posts here about all the extras that you Owners do....for the first time...I am grateful that I live in Wyoming and my vacation home is in Missouri. HA!!

• sliver2907 Contributor 69 posts since
    Sep 2, 2011
    Mar 30, 2012 1:22 PM (in response to jmarie)

My lawyer reviews my contract and we have it all spelled out, including the spiral staircase, non-handicapped access, how to park to avoid tickets from the city, the steps to the sunken living room.   As I think of it, it goes in the contract for the next renters. Yes a lot to read but better foretold.  You can always go back and point it out in the cotract.  I wouldn't be afraid of a bad review from someone you had to kick out.  I usually really read into the bad reviews when I go to a hotel.  One or two against 100 doesn't sway me.

May 21, 2011
      Mar 30, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to sliver2907)

To each their own.  When selecting a vacation home, I hate reviews and don't read reviews since I truly believe most of them are bogus - just my take.  I go totally on the photos.  I am a visually oriented person, don't really read or like loooong descriptions. I do look at the amenities (like WIFI), but that is usually it. 

As for my own vacation home, even though I take a security deposit and have a well thought out rental agreement, I refund 100% even when there is damage or the renter has not abided by the rental agreement.  I don't sleep at night when there is a possibility of a bad review, so I will not take the chance.  The bad renter just goes on my DO NOT RENT TO list and that is punishment enough.  I do not solicit reviews even when I know the renter has thoroughly enjoyed his/her stay.  So I don't have good reviews to counter bad reviews.  Most of our guests won't do reviews as they want to keep our place a secret and refuse to tell others about so they will be able to get reservation again and again. 

Like I said...to each their own... 

• skiandglee Active Contributor 509 posts since
        Apr 27, 2011
        Mar 30, 2012 1:48 PM (in response to bobbie32)

Bobbie,

I respect your opinion and as you stated, to each their own, but I must caution readers that relying on photos is probably the worst thing you can do when choosing a property.  It's sort of like online dating, the truth can be very different than the pictures.  Pictures can be 5-10 years old and with the house in it's best shape ever.  i.e no stains on the carpets, paint not peeling, couches not ripped etc.  Reviews on the other hand are dated and offer relevancy.  If there is a good review, than you can trust that they really had a good time because people will not waste their time to write a fake review.

Rick

www.vacationrentalhelper.com

May 21, 2011
          Mar 30, 2012 2:32 PM (in response to skiandglee)

I guess it has to do with one's own personal experiences.  I relied on reviews several years ago and was shocked that the house(s) did not live up to the rave reviews. Were they bogus? -  I will never know for sure.  But what is great for some is not so good for others.  And I guess I have higher expectations than most - probably because of being in the architecture profession.  If photos are really good and even professionally taken with no cars in the driveway and care is taken to make the house look as good as possible, then I feel that the owners care.  If the photos are snapshots and wires show, beds are not is a "display" mode, then I move on to another listing.  It is the care that someone shows through their photos that matters to me.  I rarely will book through a management company as I like speaking to the owner and that also tells me a lot. You can tell when someone really cares about renting their place and if they take pride in their place.  They also need to respond quickly and act interested in booking to me.  If not, I move on to the next rental. That said, I will not even consider 90% of what is on the market because of the photos. 

To each their own...

Aug 5, 2011
            Mar 30, 2012 2:35 PM (in response to bobbie32)

I look at the photos first to see if the property fits me and my family. Then I go to the reviews to see what has been said about the property. I think personally that the reviews are the key to making me feel confident that I am renting from a reputable person, and that the photos are probably accurate. I don't need them to be fancy.....just accurate.

Are you looking for a vacation get-away 

Check out this wonderful home in Springfield/Branson

http://www.vrbo.com/281054  or

http://www.flipkey.com/springfield-vacation-rentals/p354303/ 

May 21, 2011
              Mar 30, 2012 2:48 PM (in response to twobitrentals)

I might also say that I have never been 100% satisfied with a rental.  There is always something wrong for which I should write a not-so glowing review.  But I will not do it - I will not write a review - good or bad.  For instance a claim that there is WIFI and there is not.  Or that the fireplace works and it does not.  Or that there are 2 bathrooms, but none located near the master bedroom.  Or there are rips in the sofa.  Or that there is a dead rodent smell. Yet, for all of these homes there was nothing but 5-star rave reviews.  Thus, I figure reviews are for the most part bogus and I simply will not play the review game. 

Enough said...

Aug 5, 2011
                Mar 30, 2012 3:09 PM (in response to bobbie32)

Oh my, I think that you must have staying in some fairly bad places. I have never had that problem when staying in other homes and I don't believe that anyone has had even a remote issue like that in my home in Missouri.

May 21, 2011
                  Mar 30, 2012 3:51 PM (in response to twobitrentals)

Yes, and all those rentals had 5-star rave reviews.  I think you get my point - it is all based on experience.  The worst was a place where the fireplace caused so much smoke smell left by the previous guest, that we had to go out and buy gallons of vinegar to place in bowls to minimize the smell.  Not only that but we had to climb over the entrance and wall to get in.  Again...5-star rave reviews and lots of them.  And this place was $350/night!  Go figure...

OOPS...I just checked and the rental noted above now goes for $999/night and has MANY 5-star reviews - and not even a 4-star review. 

Aug 5, 2011
                    Mar 30, 2012 3:49 PM (in response to bobbie32)

Well, I think even if you don't do a "bad" or "questionable" review, you should at least complain to the owner. I would certainly want to know if my guests got treated as badly as you.

My cleaning lady told me that my arbor was tipped over after the last folks checked out, BUT...she said that there were some tornado strength winds. So she and her hubby put it back up....no harm, no foul. I just wondered if the folks that stayed there had issue with that being down. They never said and this is their 3rd year there and have asked to stay again next year for two weeks for the same time period.

I think that we should "tell" of any issues so that the owner is at least aware. I am thankful that I have not had any bad surprises at any VRBO that I have stayed at thus far.

Hoping your next travels will take you to a wonderful, peaceful surprise.

Wendy

Are you looking for a vacation get-away 

Check out this wonderful home in Springfield/Branson

http://www.vrbo.com/281054  or

http://www.flipkey.com/springfield-vacation-rentals/p354303/ 

May 21, 2011
                      Mar 30, 2012 3:59 PM (in response to twobitrentals)

I just edited the last post to say that the one place with the smoke smell is now renting for $999/night - yikes! 

In any case, we have been renting vacation homes for years and not a single one has lived up to the rave reviews, at least when I used to read reviews.  Now I only go by the photos and they have to be top-notch - no snapshots - no cars or people in the photos - more like photos you would expect to find in magazines.  And the owner must be friendly and needs to respond quickly.  Maybe I have different expectations, but some things are just unacceptable.  

Aug 5, 2011
          Mar 30, 2012 3:08 PM (in response to skiandglee)

I agree with you, and as I stated already....when there are good reviews that specifically state that the pictures are accurate....makes me feel better.

I certainly rely on my guests to give a review to make others feel more welcome and confident when renting.

May 21, 2011
            Mar 30, 2012 4:10 PM (in response to twobitrentals)

Interesting what you say that about photos being accurate.  We always get comments when guests arrive atop our mountain that the photos do not do our place justice.  Our place is so much better than the photos and we have photos way better than our competition.  I am a photographer and have been published before, yet I still am unable to capture the essence of our vacation home.  I also used to stage photo shoots for our architectural work, so I know how to stage photos.  And yet, the photos are not good enough.  The inside is right on, but the 100-mile views are hard to capture.  Next we will hire an aerial photographer and see if he/she can capture the essence of the place.  

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points