Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
3095 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2012 6:48 PM by marilyn RSS
New Member 8 posts since
Nov 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 19, 2012 10:59 PM

Renter gave me credit card without 3 digit code

I had a last minute renter that faxed me her contract with the Credit Card info written on the contract.  Well, at the time I did not have time to charge her card, so in good faith, I went ahead and gave her directions, instructions etc.  Well, about 2 weeks later I received an email from her asking about the status her deposit.  When I looked into it, I found that I had never charged her card because she did not write down her 3 digit security code.

So, I returned her email and told her what had happened and requested that she provide the code.  She never returned that email.  I have emailed her several times since them, even using an email tracking program that ensured me that she did indeed open my email.  Now, two months later, I have not been able to charge her.  Any suggestions?  Is there anyway to charge a credit card without the 3 digit security code?

• sodamo Contributor 260 posts since
    Nov 5, 2011
    Feb 20, 2012 1:07 AM (in response to dwbc153)
    Re: Renter gave me credit card without 3 digit code

Guess I'm confused, as I didn't read about any attempt to remedy via a phonecall, that would have been my early attempt as I can understand not wanting to provide the info via email. Silly me, one time I got the number, code, etc, but forgot to get the zip code, had to call back. The only way I know to process without the code is if you have like a PayPal account and send an invoice for them to pay. If the renter is nonresponsive are you canceling the "contract"? Likely, there really is no contract as without charging the card, there is no consideration.

David

• bend2011 Contributor 163 posts since
    Apr 28, 2011
    Feb 20, 2012 11:04 AM (in response to dwbc153)

You cannot charge the card without the security code.   The easiest way to avoid forgetting in the future is to charge the card immediately after you receive the information then tuck it away in the file folder for paid or deposit.

Now, if she did not stay, you simply cancle the reservation and don't worry about it.

If she did stay, there is a possibility for recourse.

But until we know...

Lara

www.alluringbend.com

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    Feb 20, 2012 11:58 PM (in response to dwbc153)

I use Authorize.net for credit card processing.  They don't use the 3-digit code for verification - they validate against the address / name / card combination. 

• marilyn Active Contributor 459 posts since
      Nov 9, 2011
      Aug 28, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to swiss-house)

Even at this late date you can charge a card if services or product was provided. Many card processing companies do not require a security code.

Since renter asked for her security deposit back, I assume, she stayed at your home. If you have proof of that stay, you can charge away even a couple of months later. Here's hoping her card is still active or good.

Marilyn

Www.hamptonhouseproperties.info

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)