Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
5566 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2012 8:14 PM by sodamo RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 15, 2012 5:11 PM

No more surprises, please!

Imagine my surprise when I was updating my listing today...only to discover that my property (my home, and mine alone!) is now listed as "Contact Manager" instead of "Owner".  I did not request this change, and have asked that it be corrected immediately.  We should not be required to police our listings on a daily basis.  Wonder how many other surprises are lurking around out there - I, for one, am getting tired of them...

• shannon.martin Contributor 221 posts since
    Feb 23, 2011
    Feb 15, 2012 5:32 PM (in response to manouche)
    Re: No more surprises, please!

HI Manouche,

I'm not sure where that is showing up - I'm looking at your listing on the live site and it still has the "Managed by Owner" icon on the index page and "Call Owner" and "View Owner's Profile" on the listing itself.  I checked your dashboard, and that appears to be fine, too. Please send me a screenshot and I'll see what I can figure out!

Shannon

Feb 23, 2011
        Feb 16, 2012 6:38 AM (in response to manouche)

Ok, that helps me track it down! I'll check with development and see what they've done...

Shannon

Sent from my iPad

Feb 23, 2011
        Feb 16, 2012 1:44 PM (in response to manouche)

Hi Manouche,

Dev is investigating the issue - thanks for noticing that and letting us know....they should get back to me with a timeframe for fixing it (usually fixed  within 2 weeks).

Shannon

• sodamo Contributor 260 posts since
          Nov 5, 2011
          Feb 16, 2012 5:12 PM (in response to shannon.martin)

So I attempted to replace a photo in my 385181 listing and no matter what I do the orientation is upside down. Try to send a support email and get a HA system generated error message and lose my message - frustrating.

Why doesn't the system automatically understand orientation? I thought that was coded into the photo.

Wonder if you guys need better programmers? ones that don't make changes/tweaks until thoroughly tested.

David

Feb 23, 2011
            Feb 16, 2012 5:34 PM (in response to sodamo)

Hi Sodamo,

Is the photo rotated correctly on your system and gets upside down once in the photo tool?  This is a new photo tool, so I'd like to make sure we understand exactly what you are experiencing so we can forward to the dev team. Can you go ahead and add the photo so we can see it on our end?

Also, what browser and version are you using?

Thanks,

Shannon

Nov 5, 2011
              Feb 16, 2012 8:00 PM (in response to shannon.martin)

Aloha Shannon

Yes, it is correctly oriented on my system until loaded into VRBO using the Replace Photo option.  Here is the live link:  http://www.vrbo.com/385181  see 2nd photo, Twin Beds.

I did attempt reloading by flipping on my end, but same result - upsidedown on VRBO

Using Mac OS 10.7.3 Safari Version 5.1.3 (7534.53.10)

IMG_4142.JPG

Feb 23, 2011
                Feb 17, 2012 6:15 PM (in response to sodamo)

Hi David,

Here is the info I got from our development team:

The info is encoded in the image in a lot of newer cameras and phones and MAY be correct.  The biggest problem is on a mac the preview and quick view will automatically rotate the image (dunno about more recent windows, likely it does something similar).  So the user never realizes that it’s not in the ‘correct’ orientation.  If the user opens in iPhoto (which also auto orients) and reorients it then the encoding MIGHT get updated correctly depending on how the user saves the photo. Drag and drop to the filesystem, or export.

So we can’t really automatically ‘fix’ the orientation in a reliable way.

We can allow the user to rotate things using our tool, but this leads to downstream caching issues that we have little to no control over.   For performance reasons we serve up images to be cached for 1 year. In between a browser and our file on disk there’s at least akamai, possibly varnish and probably other layers of caching. If the user changes an image rotation or cropping there is only a limited number of things we can do to get the downstream caches cleared out.  This sort of thing will result in the user seeing the ‘fixed’ image in their dash, but downstream sites still having the ‘old’ version.

Best solution for now is to ask the user to open the image in a photo tool, rotate , crop, whatever and export.  Then upload that image.

I hope that helps explain what has been happening to your photo.

Thanks,

Shannon

Sent from my iPhone

Nov 5, 2011
    Feb 16, 2012 8:03 PM (in response to manouche)

Sorry Manouche, didn't mean to highjack your thread. Support email wasn't working and at least VRBO was responsive here.

David

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)