Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
7072 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2012 9:58 AM by formanllc RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 11, 2012 12:37 AM

Why should I advertise in Homeaway?

I have a rental property and have advertised on another site, getting some results but I still have a lot of unbooked time. I have seen a lot of comments on this community about how people do not like Homeaway, I am surprised they allow it. But honestly, is it worth paying for their high fees?

Also I am uncertain about VRBO or Homeaway, which site is better.

Honest answers please!

• Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2012 9:43 AM (in response to petegm)
    Re: Why should I advertise in Homeaway?

Hi Pete:

As an owner you must do your due diligence to determine the right marketing methods for your vacation home. As you mentioned, you are advertising elsewhere (you didn't mention where but it doesn't matter), and this is not providing you a full calendar.

I am satisfied with VRBO and Homeaway, and after doing my research I found that these sites are top ranking in visits, especially from US travellers.

There are other sites but their volume of hits is much lower.

Feb 11, 2012 10:11 AM (in response to petegm)

Pete:

These are the real numbers on the popularity of the travel sites:

SiteGlobal RankUS Rank
        Country 1Country 2Country 3
        VRBO2,980632USA: 77.6%Canada 4.2%Mexico 3.4%
        Homeaway3,8801,048USA: 62.6%Canada 3.8%Italy: 3.8%
        Flipkey11,7695,542USA: 36.7%Italy: 8.6%Spain: 5.9%
        Vacationrentals15,7593,393USA: 72.4%India: 6.2%Canada: 5.3%

Global ranking is the popularity of the site against all others (including google, facebook, etc). US Rank is the popularity in the USA. Country is the origin of the visits (100% is the total visits), Country 1 is the country where it gets most of its visitors, and so on.

• kristin.r Contributor 116 posts since
    Jun 1, 2011
    Feb 11, 2012 10:44 AM (in response to petegm)

I can only speak for myself.  I keep a log each month where my inquiries come from.  I also make notes on the inquiries where I wasn't available and my calendar showed that I was booked. I tally them up and see what I was able to convert into a reservation.  I get little to no traffic at all from HA.  I get a few from flipkey which happens to be a tad better than HA.  I had one inquiry from HA in November I believe and it was the scam from Ukraine.  So to me that was not a valid inquiry.  VRBO clearly is my front runner hands down. Kristin

• sophie Senior Contributor 964 posts since
      Mar 4, 2011
      Feb 11, 2012 2:42 PM (in response to petegm)

Take a look at this thread that's been going on for some time.  It has a lot of statistics and information:

http://community.homeaway.com/thread/1507?tstart=0

Feb 11, 2012 4:12 PM (in response to sophie)

Pete:

When you read the thread recommended by Sophie you will see many different opinions, and in my experience, it has a lot to do of your area. Some areas are more american internal tourist zones, some are more adventurous americans zones, some attract international tourists.

My personal property gets more rentals from Homeaway and more inquiries from VRBO, which is different from Kristin.

Feb 11, 2012 4:25 PM (in response to petegm)

Pete:

That is an owner's opinion, and as I stated before, real estate is local. The title of the post was from one owner to make a point and generate discussion, it may be true for that owner, but not for the rest. The fact is that VRBO is the most popular vacation rental followed by Homeaway, the fact that there is competition is positive for all of us, as VRBO recently changed its policy and started publishing pictures on the cover, something that was previously reserved only to the highest paying members. Thank you competition!!!

I find that the thread about other sites or criticism of VRBO is being used to put pressure on the company to make some changes. But most owners are staying with their current listings.

What is best for you? Try several and depending on your results, pick the ones that give you the most sales, not the most inquiries.

• stjvilla Active Contributor 624 posts since
      May 27, 2011
      Feb 11, 2012 4:21 PM (in response to petegm)

We list on both HomeAway and VRBO.  It seems that in the past 2 years we have gotten about an equal number of inquiries and bookings from them and are happy with spending the money to be on both.  Can't comment on FlipKey ourselves, but others can.

• New Member 5 posts since
    Jan 12, 2012
    Feb 13, 2012 12:27 PM (in response to petegm)

My Property is in Florida.  For our winter season we mainly get inquiries from VRBO. Going into our Off-Season for the US, we are getting mainly Homeaway.

• nightskyveiw Contributor 29 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    Feb 15, 2012 6:26 PM (in response to petegm)

I have only used HA thus far and could not imagine anyone serious about renting their vacation property not having HA in their advertising arsenal.

• sophie Senior Contributor 964 posts since
      Mar 4, 2011
      Feb 15, 2012 10:12 PM (in response to nightskyveiw)

nightskyview

I own 4 vacation rentals and I can assure you I am quite serious about my business.....HA is my lowest reservation producer compare to other sites that I advertise on.

To insinuate that owners aren't serious about their rental business because they don't advertise on HA is a pretty harsh statement.

Different advertising works for different people in different parts of the country.  Isn't is great we have more than 1 advertising site to choose from?

• Active Contributor 343 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Feb 20, 2012 5:00 PM (in response to petegm)

Hi all,

There is some great info in this thread. Thanks to everyone for chiming in!

I also recently posted the below information in a similar thread, inquiring about the difference between HomeAway and VRBO. I hope this adds clarification:

The most important distinction between HomeAway.com and VRBO.com is each site’s unique traffic.  By listing your property on VRBO.com, you are reaching a different audience that you would not necessarily reach on HomeAway.com alone. In 2011, we found that only 20-30% of travelers visited both sites.  That means roughly 70-80% of the travelers on HomeAway.com are not visiting VRBO.com, and vice-versa. 

This difference in traffic is largely related to the sites varying performance in the search engines, depending on the keywords used.  It can also be related to the search experience.  Travelers who prefer VRBO.com tend to favor the journey and enjoy the process of searching, discovering and planning their vacation rental experience.  Travelers who prefer using HomeAway appreciate the ease and convenience of the search options and information displayed in the results.

We appreciate your feedback as we are always working on ways to improve our products and processes, so please keep it coming.

Sincerely,

Laura

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    Feb 20, 2012 10:18 PM (in response to petegm)

As many have said in other comments, it comes down to search results.  And each of the sites seems to do differently depending on location and amenitites.

Put on your customer hat and bring up Google.  If you were looking for a place to stay, what would you type in? 

Boca Raton vacation house?

bungalow on St. Johns with air conditioning?

ski lodge house at camelback mountain?

Once you try one phrase, look through the results at the terms that come up in the titles of some of the results -

beachfront, wooded, game room, etc.

Incorporate some of those additional keywords as they relate to YOUR rental, doing different searches with different combinations of words, even changing around the order of the same words in each search.

Notice a pattern about what hosting sites come up for your searches?

I certainly did for my search for vacation rental homes in the Poconos, especially when I included our town name.  4 or 5 of the first listings for each search were homeaway.com listings.  Next were a couple VRBO's plus an AirBnB, a TripAdvisor or two, and a few single-site web pages. 

If you do the search for places on the California shores I understand VRBO comes up first in many searches.  In Europe, the HomeAway sites are starting to make headway, but most of the results are for more localized listing companies.

80% of my bookings come from my HomeAway listing.  The rest are mostly VRBO and VacationHomeRentals.  There have been a few AirBnB inquiries, and I just had my first actual sale through them.  But overall, I've found that the inquiries from HomeAway are the highest quality since they display the calendar on our listing page instead of requiring the guest to click a link to see the calendar - like VRBO.  Nearly 4 out of 5 VRBO inquiries are duds since they are asking for dates that are already booked.  And the AirBnB listings usually go nowhere because they don't let you include any links to show the guest more about the property before committing to a reservation.

Do the Google research at the top of this response.  It will become very clear, very quickly, where you should be spending your money for the best results.

• Contributor 26 posts since
    Jan 19, 2012
    May 2, 2012 9:52 PM (in response to petegm)

I prefer VRBO - but I think it depends on your market.  I really agree with this list: Top Vacation Rental Listing Sites

• New Member 5 posts since
    Mar 23, 2012
    May 5, 2012 8:43 AM (in response to petegm)

Diversification is key to getting the word out, within reason. Know your audience, first and foremost...

• New Member 1 posts since
    Aug 14, 2012
    Aug 14, 2012 3:56 PM (in response to petegm)

Have tried listing in http://www.zaranga.com. Its free listing and nominal charge for per transaction

Read the success story http://blogs.zaranga.com/2012/07/25/kudos-from-our-host-greg/

• New Member 2 posts since
    Aug 20, 2012
    Aug 20, 2012 9:58 AM (in response to petegm)

If you're tired of dealing with the fools on craigslist you will be happy to pay for the higher fees.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points