Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
23624 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2012 11:13 PM by bend2011 RSS
Active Contributor 343 posts since
Nov 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 21, 2011 3:23 PM

Stand-Out Amenities

One of the best ways to distinugish your vacation rental property from the rest of the pack is by highlighting a unique amenity or two. Beyond the basic essentials, it is nice to be able to tout one or more of these top searched amenities in your listing. Whether it's a fun game for a rainy day, or something more unusual like a soft-serve ice cream machine, a thoughtful amenity can be just the detail that captivates your next guest.

Tell us about your favorite amenities, and please post a photo if you have one!

• New Member 6 posts since
    Dec 20, 2010
    Mar 21, 2011 2:46 PM (in response to laura)
    Stand-Out Amenities

Events-2428.JPG

I consider the pool our home's most popular amenity. Just steps from the beach (and our front door!), our guests always say how much they enjoy it. I offer loads of other amenities - outdoor shower, rooftop deck, a soaking tub, and a margarita maker, but we've found that the pool is the most loved perk of all.

• timber.framerentals New Member 1 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mar 30, 2011 11:20 AM (in response to laura)
    Stand-Out Amenities

We're located in Western North Carolina.  Our most popular amenity is the outdoor fireplace.  Spring, Fall & Winter guests snuggle in our faux fur blankets and enjoy a blazing fire, Summer guests enjoy an evening fire for good old fashioned 'smores.

Porch 3.JPG

• New Member 12 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    Mar 30, 2011 12:03 PM (in response to laura)
    Stand-Out Amenities

Our Guests agree that the Roof Top Jacuzzi is perfect after a day of zip-lining through the jungle, visiting the nearby national park or many of the other activities or tours in the area.  With sweeping 270-degree views of the Pacific Ocean, Manuel Antonio National Park and the islands in the bay, our guests really enjoy this amenity.

The villa offers other great amenities that guests love:  HD Projector and 10' screen. (Under the stars movie nights on the rooftop deck, great for the family and friends!)

jacuzzi 2.jpg5th-Floor-movie.jpg

• New Member 2 posts since
    Mar 31, 2011

The most-commented on amenity at The Gatlinburg Lodge at SmokyMountainViews.com in Gatlinburg, Tennessee?  That's easy -- the views from the back deck of The Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP). A close-second on the favorite amenity list is the large hot tub -- maybe because it comes with views of The Smokies also .  For example:

Foliage-Oct19 002.JPG

Other favorite amenities?  Our Game Room, which includes a big-screen HD TV, a pool table, fireplace, several video arcade games, air hockey, foosball, Wi-Fi, a poker table, piano, etc:

gatlinburg game room in cabin rental.png

The jacuzzi is another popular amenity, especially since it's part of a the large bathroom suite, with dual sinks, a shower, walk-in closet, fireplace/heater, etc:

master bathroom in gatlinburg cabin rental with jacuzzi.png

Mac

The Gatlinburg Lodge at

SmokyMountainViews.com

• New Member 5 posts since
    Mar 29, 2011
    Apr 26, 2011 11:34 AM (in response to laura)
    Stand-Out Amenities

Views, sunsets, sunrises, hammocks....relaxing.jssm_dscn2043.jpg

• violet.bassett-mathy New Member 2 posts since
    Apr 26, 2011
    Apr 26, 2011 11:43 AM (in response to laura)
    Stand-Out Amenities

When I'm looking for a property to rent, the most important amenities are: free WiFi, nice view, king sized bed, TV with cable or satellite. 

• skiandglee Active Contributor 509 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    Apr 27, 2011 10:04 AM (in response to laura)
    Stand-Out Amenities

My standout amenity thrills kids and adults alike.  One small boy asked if this was Chuck E Cheese's house?  I try to give the guests more entertainment options so that they can have a great time no matter what the weather or time of day is.  Ski & Glee is located at Deep Creek Lake in western MD at the WISP ski resort and is in a ski in/ski out community with panoramic views of the lake.  It has a 23x13 indoor heated pool, outdoor Finnish sauna, outdoor hot tub, stacked stone firepit, 73" HDTV, 55" HDTV, 2 xbox 360's, xbox kinect 3d motion module, pool table and a full free arcade that has 2 pinball machines and 10 full size video games. 

Lit  up pool.jpg

SAM_0616.JPG

SAM_0542.JPG

SAM_0543.JPGGame Room.jpg

• New Member 4 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    Apr 27, 2011 1:31 PM (in response to laura)
    Stand-Out Amenities

We needed an amentiy that would separate us from others on the island so we took out the front yard, and built a custom swimming pool and added lush landscaping. Laguna Vista is now the only rental on the entire island with this feature. We built the pool as a social gathering area and have a standard depth throughout, benches built into the walls have added jacuzzi jets, enterance is via a large circular stair case, and fountains flank one end while the other has a waterfall.  An 8 person stand alone jacuzzi spills into the pool, as well. 

Scaled Down.jpg

To give our guests a respite from the sun we had a champa constructed at the pool's edge that is complete with ceiling fans, direct and indirect lighting, a bar and a stainless sink.

DSCN2366.JPG

Many of our guest utilize the champa for al fresco dining of an evening

In pool to Champa.jpg

The champa at Laguna Vista also serves as a work station for many of our guests

A quiet moment.jpg

Another fairly rare amenity here is full WiFi, which we have throughout the property.  Additionally, we provide pre-programmed celluar phone to our guests (with a refundable deposit equal to the cost of the cell phone)  The programmed numbers allow our guests to order a delivered meal, check the movies at the local cinema, or make dive reservations.  We also keep a mini-laptop available for our guests should they have need of it for any reason. Prior to their arrival our guests receive a Provision List where they can check off what they would like to have stocked in the rental upon their arrival. We charge nothing for this other than the real costs of the stocked items, which is due upon check in.

• bill.gilmore New Member 1 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    Apr 27, 2011 4:04 PM (in response to laura)
    Stand-Out Amenities

We get lots of comments about the hanging beds on the sleeping porch.  Renters who stay one week or more also enjoy BVLGARI soaps, shampoo, conditioner and lotion.

VRBO/257773

Beds Made.jpg

• New Member 1 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    Apr 28, 2011 1:54 AM (in response to laura)
    Re: Stand-Out Amenities

121_detail[1].jpg

The Pacific Ocean is naturally the #1 amenity at Whale House.  Special touches include live blooming orchid plants in the entry, dining room, and living room, monogrammed robes, and large dispensers of quality bath gels, shampoo and conditioner in both bathrooms (it saves luggage weight for guests traveling by air). Guests are greeted with an unexpected Welcome Shell filled with specialty cookies, popcorn, peanut butter pretzels, fruit, nuts, chocolate, and a personalized welcome card. Many guests arrive after long flights from the east or abroad. Typically included in their Welcome Shell may be capellini, Italian sauce, olive bread, etc.  Guests seem so grateful not to have to shop when they arrive exhausted with tired kids. Included in that welcome is often a stuffed whale, dolphin, or turtle for young children, or a Whale House logo cap or beach bag.  During the booking guests are asked if they will be celebrating any special occasions during their stay...Many have been surprised with appropriately decorated ice cream cakes for birthdays aging from 5 - 93, 25th & 50th anniversaries, graduations, and more...They always seemed genuinely pleased and surprised to see their names on a cake in the Whale House freezer!!!  The hope is for them feel important and at home away from home.

Message was edited by: Cheri Gittins

Sep 12, 2011
    Sep 12, 2011 3:33 PM (in response to laura)

We took 10 years before selecting our Vacation Rental Condo in toronto, Canada because they simply do not make them spacious, luxurious and brteathtaking views from every inch of the Suite. We found this GEM built last year with 1500 SQFT in downtown Toronto surrounded by 270 degrees of clear views of Harbour, lake, Niagara Falls to northern mountains on extra spacious 2, 100 SQFT balconies facing south and west respectively on the 30th floor of this dream home. We have never recieved less than 5 star reviews and people are always torn between the Views and TOP of the line furnishings designed by the best in business. I think trick to keep it nice and exclusive is to not rent more than couple of times a month and take extraordinary care of renters and make them feel like Superstars.

We are very content with few quality bookings a year . our listing is  392747

rockysteve1.jpg

rockysteve2.JPG

rockysteve3.jpg

rockysteve5.jpg

• lrbaldwin Active Contributor 755 posts since
    Feb 16, 2011
    Sep 13, 2011 1:32 PM (in response to laura)

YIKES yall!  We have indoor plumbing, sharp knives, and a porch swing. #315522

• Contributor 34 posts since
    Jul 2, 2011
    Sep 19, 2011 4:16 PM (in response to laura)
    Stand-Out Amenities

For every rental I bake my homemade pound cake, leave fresh cut flowers. I have 3 decanters, one with port, one with brandy and one with cognac. I supply all paper good, from toilet tissue, feminine products, paper towel, plates, cups, and napkins. The bathrooms are fully stocked with shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, mouthwash, toothpaste, razors, toothbrush, shaving cream, lotion, liquid soap and bar soaps, as well as a scented soap. My pantry is completely stocked with condiments, spices, oils and vinegars, flour and sugar, peanut butter, popcorn and a few boxes of mac and cheese for the children. I also leave a dozen fresh eggs, butter, pancake mix, and pure maple syrup, orange juice, milk and half and half, also a large variety of teas and coffees. Cheese and crackers are out when the quests arrive. All are new, unopened packages for each set of renters. I find that renters do use some of the products some of the time. I have calculated the cost per weekly rental and it averages out to about $50.00, (not including the filling of the decanters). I have gotten more compliments on having all the staples and renters not having to run out to the store for them. You can do as much or as little as you want. The sky is the limit!!! Hope this helps my fellow renters. Minime

• New Member 6 posts since
      Dec 28, 2011
      Dec 29, 2011 3:52 PM (in response to minime)

love what you are doing. I have quite a few of these amenities but you've got some that just enhance the whole experience, in my opinion! I'm going to borrow some of these ideas during the new year for my guests!

Nov 7, 2011
    Nov 7, 2011 1:12 PM (in response to laura)

I always make sure to highlight the lake view from the Gazebo.  It is nice to have a vinyl cover for the winter. In the summer I put up my mosquito netting on the same track.  I got mine at mosquitocurtains.com. Lake View.jpg

• bend2011 Contributor 163 posts since
    Apr 28, 2011
    Feb 8, 2012 11:13 PM (in response to laura)

One of my units boasts Cascade Mt. Views, Jacuzzi Tub and Walking Distance to Downtown Bend.

Ever heard of Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Black Butte Porter or Jubelale?  The brewery is a spitting distance from both my units.

I have also decorated both unit with really cool vintage sporting good.  Mostly old wood skis, sleds, snowshoes etc.

Like a post above, I also stock my units with dry goods, coffee, tea, hot cocoa, popcorn and breakfast snacks.

I am also working on partnering up with the local business here in town to offer coupons just for my guests.

Lara

www.alluringbend.com

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)