Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2443 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2012 12:08 PM by ez2pls RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Feb 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 6, 2012 10:03 AM

Dirty rental

This rental is filthy, in a state of disrepair, and chaos. Renters beware, they falsely advertise their rates for the Christmas holiday, and backdoor the additional cost in the contract. From the filthy hot tub, to the backed up kitchen sink, bath tubs and toilets, dirty ovens, filthy furniture in major disrepair, floors, kitchen cupboards, and on and on. Even their house cleaners disclosed to us that they had been requested "not to spend too much time" cleaning. Apparently not! Should I mention that the owners threatened that if we were to post negatively, their association with owners who rent in the area could discourage our ability to rent in the Santa Cruz area again. The location IS stunning, I will grant you that, only that. In the end, I do expect these owners to diligently post a response here. If you are a consumer beware of wolves in sheep's clothing. A picture is worth a thousand words.

• kristen Active Contributor 53 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Feb 6, 2012 10:07 AM (in response to bestgma6)
    Re: Dirty rental

Hi bestgma6,

If the rental was misrepresented in photos and you are in any way being threatened, you can file a complaint. I'm not sure which site you used, but you can contact HomeAway support here, VRBO support here, and VacationRentals support here.

Also, I'd like to remind you that, as per our Community Guidelines, we ask that you respect the privacy of yourself and others:

Protect the privacy of yourself and others. — Keep personal information about anyone else private; including names of other people, home addresses, phone numbers, property ID numbers and email addresses.  We recommend you keep your own information private as well.

Community is not the forum to leave a property review (and as such, I removed the identifying information in this post).

Thanks,

Kristen

• Currently Being Moderated
      Feb 18, 2012 11:43 AM (in response to kristen)

Hi, Kristen, I, too, am a victim of a dirty rental. I had to leave 1 week into a 3 week rental due to health issues directly related.  I left a review on VRBO, with the expected response from the owner.  I tried to post a review- rewritten with different wording- not copy and pasted-for the ad on the HomeAway site but the review was rejected, "duplicate ad."  Am I right in assuming owners can have multiple ads on the HA & partner sites, but travelers can only review on 1 site?  Is there a way to post photos with a review?

I believe bestma6 is frustrated, as am I.  After my 20% refund,and being told they had no obligation at all to give me that much, I was out another US$2000 for hotel costs, and had to cut short my trip, necessitating cancellation of another rental, forfeiting the deposit, and incurring further airline ticket charges to change my ticket.

It is my understanding that filing a complaint won't accomplish too much- pretty much just a rebuttal letter from the owner saying it's all untrue, and a note on their file, so are people in bestma6's and my position resigned to eating the losses without even the very smallest satisfaction of posting a review so other traveler's can have someone else's point of view and at least be forewarned?

I did contact Support, but didn't get any...yet.

• sophie Senior Contributor 964 posts since
        Mar 4, 2011
        Feb 18, 2012 12:06 PM (in response to ez2pls)

ez, so sorry to hear your trouble but I just wanted to point out that when you leave a review on vrbo or homeway and the owner advertises on both, the review automatically shows up on BOTH websites.They are linked together.  That is why they told you it was a duplicate review because it was going to show on both websites ANYWAY. I would hope that the first review did posted. There is no way to post photos on the review itself.

• sophie Senior Contributor 964 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    Feb 6, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to bestgma6)

The best thing you can do is document the rental with photos and leave a review.  Other renters need to know that they are falsly advertising.  Not that it will help, but file a complaint with vrbo/ha.

As a last resort, take them to court to recoup your costs/rental fee for something so mis-reprensented.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)