Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
5615 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2012 9:45 PM by hazen RSS
New Member 1 posts since
May 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 25, 2011 1:31 PM

Can't Take Credit Card Payments

I just signed up with Homeaway, am currently in Active Status.  I was told by Homeaway there was a glitch so I can't register to accept payments online.  Anyone having the same problem?

• New Member 6 posts since
    Mar 31, 2011
    Nov 13, 2011 11:14 AM (in response to mahachakri)
    Re: Can't Take Credit Card Payments

Use PayPal!  Everyone does.  There is an approximate 2% fee for a Visa or MasterCard purchase, which is probably lower than the cost through the site.

• New Member 8 posts since
      Nov 1, 2011
      Nov 16, 2011 10:50 AM (in response to diane.herman)

Hi, Newbie here.  I use paypal also but have not figured out a way to use the payment software provided on homeaway/vrboto help manage deposits and future payments  if I don't take credit cards through them.  Alternatively, is there a way to better manage payments (ie deposits, and when final payments are due) using paypal or do I need to bite the bullet and buy my own software? Thanks!

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,362 posts since
        May 25, 2011
        Nov 16, 2011 11:35 AM (in response to martio)

There are many alternatives when deciding on a company to process credit card payments- some online, some via smart phones, etc.  Contact your bank, ask your local small merchants, check on line. Most charge anywhere from 1.5 -2.5% of the transaction fee, and less for Echecks..

I personally prefer to use an independent processing company that allows me to have more control over payments, deposit reunds, etc.  Mine allows me to use my smart phone, if I choose to., and I've been extremely pleased for several years. Make sure you understand how long it takes them to process a payment/refund ( how long they hold funds before your bank account is credited/debited), and that you  can verify the security of their process. 

Jan 16, 2012
          Jan 16, 2012 1:38 PM (in response to msdebj)

Can I ask who you use ?  The fact that you have abeen pleased for several years means alot.. I'm just beginning and haven't quite figured this out yet.  I need to register somewhere.  I did register on vrbo.com, for what they offered at 2.5% but it's no even showin on my website.  How do guests find that option to pay ???

• New Member 14 posts since
      Jul 29, 2011
      Jan 24, 2012 1:45 PM (in response to diane.herman)

why is it that when i look on paypal they tell me 2.9% ??  where am i going wrong with them?

Jan 16, 2012
    Jan 16, 2012 1:37 PM (in response to mahachakri)

Yes, I can't figure this out either.  I registered and it's not showing on my website.  Someone said to use Paypal, that may be an option I investigate.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points