Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2682 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2012 12:48 PM by msdebj RSS
sandybeach Contributor 56 posts since
Jan 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 13, 2012 9:45 AM

Best practices for removing smoke smell?

Hi,

I'm about to buy a property that has a clear smoke smell. It has a wood-burning fireplace but I suspect that the smell is from people smoking. 

There are no fabric materials in the house at the moment.  The floors are hard wood.  The walls have (supposedly) recently been painted.  The property has been vacant and sealed for about six months.

Here's the solutions that I've heard:

- paint again

- use a vinegar and baking soda solution in lots of shallow containers throughout the house

- cover the walls with Odoban (anyone have any experience with that product?)

- use an ozone generator

Many people have already commented in other posts about how they were successful with fabrics.  Again, there's no fabrics in this house at the moment.

Regards,

-Rich

• Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2012 1:12 PM (in response to sandybeach)
    Re: Best practices for removing smoke smell?

If you have tried all of the above, you should have your air conditioning ducts professionally cleaned, and clean the ceiling as smoke dust is attached to the ceiling.

I do not believe in fragrance sprays since I am allergic and I then have double problems, I smell the smoke and the chemical fragrance.

I have a stiff $500 penalty for anyone smoking in my property, I prefer not to collect it because it is a pain to take the smell away and I would be one to walk out on a property with smoke smell.

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,350 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      Currently Being Moderated
      Mar 13, 2012 12:48 PM (in response to sandybeach)
      Re: Best practices for removing smoke smell?

Larry,

Good to know what worked!!!

My coastal home can get a bit stuffy after being closed up for a few weeks. One thing I've found that helps: At Bed Bath and Beyond they have these jars that are odor removers. They're pretty large ( think the size of a large Yankee candle).  4 of them work well in our 1800 sq. ft. home. They're not cheap ( $10 for 2) but work much better than the cheaper versions.

Something else my housekeeper turned me on to: She leaves a unsued dryer sheet in each closet and under each trash can liner each time she cleans. It works!  I now tuck them in various places in my own linen closets and drawers.

debj

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)