Customize your experience by selecting your role:
Owner, Property Manager, or Traveler
I'm about to buy a property that has a clear smoke smell. It has a wood-burning fireplace but I suspect that the smell is from people smoking.
There are no fabric materials in the house at the moment. The floors are hard wood. The walls have (supposedly) recently been painted. The property has been vacant and sealed for about six months.
Here's the solutions that I've heard:
- paint again
- use a vinegar and baking soda solution in lots of shallow containers throughout the house
- cover the walls with Odoban (anyone have any experience with that product?)
- use an ozone generator
Many people have already commented in other posts about how they were successful with fabrics. Again, there's no fabrics in this house at the moment.
If you have tried all of the above, you should have your air conditioning ducts professionally cleaned, and clean the ceiling as smoke dust is attached to the ceiling.
I do not believe in fragrance sprays since I am allergic and I then have double problems, I smell the smoke and the chemical fragrance.
I have a stiff $500 penalty for anyone smoking in my property, I prefer not to collect it because it is a pain to take the smell away and I would be one to walk out on a property with smoke smell.
You will probably spend less, check out Sears that has a $79 special on the internet, and consider leaving baking soda boxes inside your airducts and in other areas of the home, at $2 each, they go a long way.
If you painted the walls, don't forget to clean the ceiling, dry mopping it will remove residue. Also wood absorbs the smell.
Wish you the best,
I thought I'd close out this thread with what turned out to be my solution. The house didn't have any material in it and the walls had recently been painted. My wife noticed that it only smelled in the areas of the house that had hardwood floors (not the tiled bathroom). I concentrated on cleaning the hardwood floors. I mopped the floors repeatedly with pure vinegar for three days and left pools of vinegar our in shallow pans (along with leaving the windows open and the AC on at night). It seems to have done the trick. The place is still a bit stuffy when first opened but it doesn't have a strong cigarette smell anymore.
Good to know what worked!!!
My coastal home can get a bit stuffy after being closed up for a few weeks. One thing I've found that helps: At Bed Bath and Beyond they have these jars that are odor removers. They're pretty large ( think the size of a large Yankee candle). 4 of them work well in our 1800 sq. ft. home. They're not cheap ( $10 for 2) but work much better than the cheaper versions.
Something else my housekeeper turned me on to: She leaves a unsued dryer sheet in each closet and under each trash can liner each time she cleans. It works! I now tuck them in various places in my own linen closets and drawers.