Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
54522 Views 94 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2014 11:19 AM by twobitrentals RSS
New Member 4 posts since
Dec 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 30, 2010 1:40 PM

White or dark towels?

We have a place in Hawaii, which we try to furnish like a high end hotel.   All our dishes coordinate and are white.  All our sheets and towels are white.  However, now I am wondering if dark darker towels might wear better.  Or maybe for housekeeping's sake, it is better to keep everything white.  What do you think?

• mary New Member 4 posts since
    Dec 15, 2010
    Dec 30, 2010 5:53 PM (in response to lasherry)
    Re: White or dark towels?

Hi,

I have used color towels and I end up going back to white towels. 

The color towels fade so fast.  My guests seem to be more

concerned over the softness of the towels than the color. 

I buy the best white towels that I can and make sure

the housekeepers wash and dry them properly to keep

them nice and soft.

• New Member 4 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    Dec 30, 2010 5:42 PM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

When we set up our condo in 2006, we purchased good quality white towels from Sam's Club.  They are still in very good condition. I recently replaced the wash cloths after 4 years of rental use.  I highly recommend that you stick with white towels - they can be bleached if stained and most cleaning companies require the white towels.  Dark colors, although pretty at first, fade after several washings.

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Dec 30, 2010 10:37 PM (in response to lasherry)

Another vote for pure white   White towels can be maintained easily with bleach and they have that fresh spa look.  Even if you buy very good quality colored towels, they color will fade eventually and they'll look old before they're worn out. 

• sfvacationhut Community All-Star 643 posts since
      Dec 31, 2010
      Dec 31, 2010 2:55 PM (in response to amyg)

I've never liked the aesthetics of pure white towels ... on top of that, they are usually bleached white with toxic chemicals. I use a combination of light-colored organic cotton towels and 100% bamboo towels ... in subtle colors like ivory, light beige, light taupe, and butterscotch yellow.  

As a guest, I know I would appreciate having a variety of colors ... if there are a few people staying in the apartment, it helps you to keep straight, whose towel is whose, or which towels you've used already. However, I don't like DARK colored towels ,,, simply because they cannot be easily thrown in the wash with light colors.  For that reason, all of our towels are light colors that can easily be washed.  It works great for us.

Side note: I have found that the organic cotton towels are holding up GREAT, while the 100% bamboo ones are wearing out much faster.  In the future I think I'll stick with organic cotton.  I get them for a very good price at overstock.com.  Just search for organic towels, and ... depending on what they have in stock, you'll generally find a good selection.

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
        Mar 4, 2011
        Apr 6, 2011 12:10 PM (in response to sfvacationhut)
        White or dark towels?

I give a vote to bamboo towels.  The Vera Wang at Kohls are amazing.  I've never felt a softer towel and they hold up quite well.  Also a vote for pure white.  It gives it a luxurious spa feel.  I do provide darker tan/brown for makeup removal

• thefacilitator New Member 16 posts since
        Sep 25, 2013
        Sep 28, 2013 6:00 PM (in response to sfvacationhut)

Towels can be bleached with sodium bicarbonate (Baking soda) It leaves a fresh smell and works great as a cleaner and stain remover that is safe for the material and the guests.

• mimseyme New Member 5 posts since
      Apr 20, 2013
      Apr 20, 2013 8:11 AM (in response to amyg)

Colored towels always seem to get bleach stains from cleaning products used in bathroom area.  Got tired of little bleach stains that totally ruin a perfectly good towel and finally stick with white now for best bet.

• Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 1, 2011 9:16 PM (in response to lasherry)

Hi,

I also use a variety of calming colors - greens, tans, greys, browns, blues.  I never liked white towels because I always found them to be scratchy and smell of chemicals.  And since we have a septic system we can't use bleach products - we use natural stain removers and detergents.  I purchase quality towels at very reduced prices at a great store here in Maine, so if the towels fade in a couple of years or get stained, I just replace them.  I feel the colors give a more homey, less barren feeling to the bath.

• tyann Contributor 222 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    Jan 3, 2011 3:53 PM (in response to lasherry)

We do a color called latte - not dark, but kind of a light brown color. I agree that color gives more of a homey feel. Mine are the 100% pima cotton from Kohl's, and I have been very happy with them - soft, big, and don't unravel or bunch up.

The only downfall with the colored towels is when ladies wash off acne medication with them - this bleaches out spots and looks horrible. I ask my housekeeper to pull those towels when it happens.

• Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2011 4:14 PM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

I call it "The Shroud of Turin Effect" - what happens to my lovely ivory-colored, high-end fluffy towels when tired tourists rub off their make-up at the end of the day!  This, after ignoring the thoughtfully provided make-up remover pads...Since I am the one who tends the laundry, I now "split the difference" and provide guests with the same towels as before, but I also offer a selection of colored washcloths for this specific use.  It doesn't always work -

I am still treating stained towels, but there has been a little progress...The White Sales are coming soon, and I will stock up on more of my beloved towels - just chalk it up to experience!

And don't forget to write it off your taxes.  

• ventnorhappyourscottage Contributor 59 posts since
      Mar 20, 2013
      Oct 30, 2013 6:39 AM (in response to manouche)

I do the same, white towels for the bath, but dark colored face and hand cloths, hoping they'll use these for makeup removal, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  I hate using bleach all of the time, so try to see if it is necessary or not, but will try the baking soda...and also looking for a more natural alternative to bleach when it is necessary???  Any ideas?

Jan 24, 2011
    Jan 24, 2011 9:37 AM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

When I stay somewhere, if the towels aren't white I always wonder if they are really clean.  If the towels are white, you can tell immediately if they are clean or dirty.  We chose white for our two properties and use Frette Hospitality as our supplier.  They are more expensive but they're worth it and they are what our guests require in a high-end luxury unit.  That said, there's nothing worse than a white towel with stains.  Ugh!  We put our lightly stained handtowels in the laundry room and tell guests that these are for shoes, messy clean-ups, etc.  But like Manouche said above, it doesn't always work. 

Dec 10, 2010
      Jan 25, 2011 10:21 AM (in response to cookquad@airmail.net)
      White or dark towels?

Cookquad, we do that too...recycle lightly stained washcloths.  I take a black Sharpie and color a 1 inch or so mark on the hem and then place in a zippered bag in our cleaning caddy for guests to use.  I like to recycle those zippered clear bags you get with window panels--they're the perfect size to hold 6-8 cloths.  Then I flip over the cardstock insert and write "Cleaning rags for dirtier jobs.  Help Yourself!" Guests have mentioned that they really appreciate the rags for spills and wiping down outdoor furniture. 

• Contributor 27 posts since
    Jan 26, 2011
    Jan 26, 2011 9:21 AM (in response to lasherry)

Hi,

We have 2 mountain rental cabins. In the onewe've had 10 years we use white, and dark green in the one we've had 4 years and they have held up well. None of the sheets are white.

Sue

• New Member 1 posts since
    Jan 26, 2011
    Jan 26, 2011 10:34 AM (in response to lasherry)

The first year I started renting I filled the bathrooms with high-end pale aqua towels.  At the end of that summer season, the towels had bleached out spots caused by certain cosmetic and tanning products.  Ever since, I use only white towels.  I buy the best quality I can find for $10 or under (bath towel), and count on replacement being every other year.  This has worked perfectly.

Cindy

Dec 10, 2010
      Jan 26, 2011 11:25 AM (in response to cindypuchner)

I wanted to add that our housekeeping service only uses bleach when necessary in an attempt to save a stained towel. Most recently they've found real success with Tide Stain Release--basically a booster to your detergent. They say the liquid works better than the powder and it's been the best product they've found aside from bleaching to remove stains.

• pamela.flow New Member 2 posts since
    Jan 26, 2011
    Jan 26, 2011 12:43 PM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

I much prefer colored towels. I have seafoam green ,blue/gray and bright blue and have done well . They don't show minor stains and have a more homey look. I have colored sheets as well . It's easier to know which are king , queen and twin. I also have patterened dishes and feel it makes my property more distinctive and not sterile or generic. But then again, I don't wear black:)

• New Member 1 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    Feb 1, 2011 9:53 PM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

Pamela,

I have been in the vacation rental business for almost ten years now and I have tried every color of towel as well as every brand and have found a high quality white towel to be the best option of you are going strictly for quality.  Here is why I think:

1)  If you look one of our bathroom photos at

http://www.waikoloavacationrentals.com/kolea-rentals/8c.html#photos you can see how the white towels do not really stick out and give the bathroom a much more cleaner look.

2) As mentioned previously, a guest throws in bleach with colored towels and you pretty much have to replace them to keep your standards up.

3) White linens are just a sign of cleanliness.  Colored linens can hide stains, which is great if you are into that, but if you pick up a white towel as a guest you know it is clean.

4)  The downfall of white goes back to #3, if you get stains on the towels the color does not hide them.

Overall I think it matters what your level of standards are.  If you have high standards then go for something like a white Ralph Lauren towel.  If you are more cost concious go with a colored towel from Costco or Wal Mart.

• pamela.flow New Member 2 posts since
    Jan 26, 2011
    Feb 1, 2011 10:23 PM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

I just think it is a matter of taste. I have been in the rental business 18 years and have 3 upscale properties and for my guests quality colored towels have looked best.I have never had a guest bleach them. I have bought Ralph Lauren and the super plush thick towels at Bed Bath and Beyond and Westpoint Stevens. I definitely believe in high quality towels , sheets , kitchen supplies and toilet paper. I also believe in putting out lots of linen.

• New Member 8 posts since
    Dec 19, 2010
    Feb 2, 2011 12:21 AM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

I agree with waikoloavrm - high quality towels for the bath and pool are important for that luxury experience.

We get white towels for the bathroom and tan towels for the pool. The tan towels wear well under outdoor use/suntan lotion etc while the white ones get less heavy usage. We put the tan towels in a basket by the door to the pool - so it's pretty obvious which towels to use.

• New Member 3 posts since
    Feb 2, 2011
    Feb 2, 2011 3:29 PM (in response to lasherry)

We started off using high end white towels for guests to use.  After the first year I changed the towels in all 3 bathrooms to different colors.  We used green, tan and brown.  Within just a few short months our housecleaner noticed they were all spotting. We have gone back to all white bath sheets as they can be bleached when needed.  I do find it necessary to replace them at least once a year so they never look too old and used. I want our guests to enjoy the same comforts as we do.

• New Member 14 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    Feb 3, 2011 11:44 PM (in response to lasherry)

I also believe in buying high end thick, soft white towels. A couple times a year I go through all of them and soak the ones I need to and usually get out the spots.  I buy inexpensive white and light colored wash clothes.  The colored clothes are rolled up and placed in a dish next to the sink with a sign stating they are for items that stain like removing makeup, mud, etc.  The acne meds either pull the color or leave some orange spots but they are clean.  This seems to make my guests aware to be a little nicer on my other linens. The white wash clothes are put with the white bath and hand towels on the towel bars and in the cabinet.  I still go through a lot of white wash clothes as they seem impossible to clean, even with bleach.  But they are inexpensive.  My bath and hand towels seem to be treated fairly well.

FYI, Kohls has really nice white wash clothes for the price. 

Sandy

www.meadowbrook-resort.com

www.vacationingbranson.com 

• eric.mueller New Member 9 posts since
    Apr 6, 2011
    Apr 6, 2011 10:31 AM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

FWIW I went through this too and ended up with white towels throughout (easy to bleach, easy to replace and match the color exactly), except for colorful beach towels.

I also found very affordable and high-thread-count white towels at Costco, FYI.

best

Eric

• New Member 16 posts since
    Apr 1, 2011
    Apr 28, 2011 10:06 PM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

This is a great threat, thanks to everybody for all the great tips!

I used light green towels because 1) the white ones seemed so messed up with make-up and other things that they ended up looking worn very quickly and 2) I really don't like the look of the white towels against our white walls... it looks too plain.

I've also learend from our cleaning lady that using Pinosol to clean the towels and linens is more effective than bleach and it doesn't wear the fabrics as much as bleach does.

~Eva

Dec 31, 2010
      May 7, 2011 2:12 AM (in response to epv)

2011-04-20-Bathroom-Sink-Towels-Robes-Small-Size.jpg

Epv,

I have the same thing .... an all white bathroom ... white cabinets, white walls.   I included a picture.  Yes, if I wanted white towels, I could paint the walls a different color.   But it's much easier to get towels with a little color in them.  Also, we have an organic eco-friendly focus at our vacation rental.  We have organic cotton towels and/or bamboo towels.  We get them for a very reasonable price from overstock.com. Unfortunately white towels are often bleached with toxic chemicals.    Maybe this is not true for the high quality, very luxurious ones.

And I must say, I really don't like white towels.  I probably got that feeling from those cheap thin ones from budget hotels. I know you guys are getting luxurious ones, but for me, I'd rather not have pure white towels.  I wouldn't buy them for myself, so why should I buy them for our guests?  (By the way, some of our towels you see in the picture may look white, but they are ivory.  )

Some people are saying that guests might be afraid that the towels are not really clean if the towels are not solid white.  But ... if the apartment is very clean, why would anyone assume the towels are dirty?  At least I hope none of our guests are thinking that way.  Because we do not have even one solid white towel in the whole house.

• dodgertown1 Contributor 52 posts since
        Mar 31, 2011
        May 23, 2011 10:21 PM (in response to sfvacationhut)

We are with you.  We like putting towels with colors or patterns.  We have received many comments about our linens and towels not being run of the mill.  Guests totally understand what is going on when they get the scratchy white towels.  Our guests know that the owners are managing and cleaning our own units.  We bring our own tastes into our condos.  You can buy great towels at stores like Kohl's for the same price as the cheaper looking towels.  We also don't let the towels become threadbare.  Lord knows we have a lot of towels at home now that have been retired.  We give many of these away to places like the Home of Grace for women or other similar places that have a desperate need for these kind of items.  Even though we are not on the high end of rental rates we try to show that people can feel first class even without paying pent house rates. 

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 827 posts since
          Mar 5, 2011
          May 24, 2011 7:14 PM (in response to dodgertown1)

If you have towels with color or patterns, doesn't that make it harder to replace a single unit that has been ruined? Finding solid white is easy, matching something else may not be.

Mar 31, 2011
            May 24, 2011 8:34 PM (in response to mike-dfv)

My wife loves going to the stores looking for towels and linens.  We supply 8 bath towels in each of our condos.  When she finds a pattern or color she will buy 12 towels as well as extra hand towels.  From time to time we have to replace a lost or bleached towel but by the time you go through the extra 4 towels it is time to retire them anyway.  We don't have anything against white and have used really fluffy ones that feel expensive but have usually found white with a simple colored stripe or two at the bottom for accent.  I'm a guy and this is fun believe it or not.  I want our places to stand out from the run of the mill. 

May 25, 2011
    May 25, 2011 10:05 AM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

White- white- white- White towels, wash cloths, and linens only white. Wash clothes are very important because if guests have a nasty cleanup they will hopefully use them (cheap and easy to replace) or paper towels. These items give your place a professional look and feel. Starch and iron the pillow cases and flat sheet upper edges. Use high thread count sheets and pillow cases good towels it goes a long way..

• mercedes.hughesbrennan New Member 13 posts since
      Jul 9, 2013
      Sep 27, 2013 6:14 PM (in response to buzz)

WHAT KIND OF SHEETS DO YOU BUY? HAVE YOU FOUND SOME THAT GUESTS COMMENT ON? AND ARENT' TOO EXPENSIVE?

• twobitrentals Community All-Star 1,339 posts since
        Aug 5, 2011
        Sep 27, 2013 6:19 PM (in response to mercedes.hughesbrennan)

Believe it or not, I have purchased some very comfortable sheets at Walmart, 300 thread count. The last sets I purchased were about $60.00 for the entire set/for a queen size bed. I actually do get comments about my comfy beds, but I also have feather bed toppers on the queens and a memory foam topper on the King. So, I can't say whether they love the sheets, or the comfortable beds. Hope that helps....and yes, I always buy white, makes the washing much easier on the cleaning folks to have all the same colors to wash

• joan.l Active Contributor 424 posts since
          Sep 30, 2012
          Sep 28, 2013 4:04 PM (in response to twobitrentals)

I have purchased those 300 count sheets from Walmart and they're holding up.

That said, EVERY time I go to Costco and Sams Club I walk thru their sheet section scoping for a markdown on their higher end sheets.  Every once in awhile I score some awesome sheets for a low price.  The color may not be a fav, but if they'll "go" with the color scheme of the room, I'll bite.  I figure people would rather sleep on luxury sheets then fret that sage green (or whatever) wouldn't be their color of choice for their own home's sheets.

those nice 600 thread count sheets at Sams Club are very comfy.  I was able to get a sage green queen set marked down to about $30 (and that was with 4 cases).  Those feel like luxury!  Too bad only the green ones were clearanced!

Dec 10, 2010
        Sep 27, 2013 9:08 PM (in response to mercedes.hughesbrennan)

Here's a link to ABC's The Lookout episode in which they talk to Consumer Reports on how to find the best sheet value.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/06/everything-you-need-to-know-before-you-buy-sheets/

I found it interesting that they said the manufacturers can't physically put more than 400 threads in a square inch, so when you buy sheets with higher thread counts, they are "jamming in extra thinner pieces of yarn". 

I've purchased several different brands of sheets over the years and the most durable and long-lasting IMHO have been Kohls' house brand The Big One.  The 275 TC sheets wash up crisp (like percale) and smooth.  Never any pilling.  Best time of year to buy them is the Black Friday sale.  Last time I purchased them the day after Thanksgiving (2 years ago) they were $19.99 for a king set--a huge savings. 

• lliliany.gomez New Member 2 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    May 25, 2011 10:21 AM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

One of the properties I manage in the Dominican Republic everything is white but the pool/beach towel. I would recommend you consider a light brown for the pool or beach, considering those are the towels that gets dirtier.

I hope this helps you.

Lliliany Gomez

www.northcoastmanagement.com

• stjvilla Active Contributor 624 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    Apr 4, 2013 8:41 AM (in response to lasherry)

We feel this is mostly a matter of personal taste as there are pros and cons to each.  Either pure white or a bathroom- coordinating color can look beautiful and upscale.  We use light colors which complement the decor; pale aqua for one bath and pale apricot for the other.  Our preference is to wait for sales and then buy the highest possible quality.

It's true that white can look very bad if not treated well.  It can get stained easily and needs careful cleaning and possibly bleaching.  However, colors can be damaged by bleach.  For the first time in 14 years of renting we had this happen to a few of them -- right after we had replaced all the towels!  Painful.

We would not use really dark towels in our tropical rental home, but they might be appropriate in the mountains.  Your choice.

BTW we do not leave bleach out for the renters -- it's locked up in the housekeeper's closet.

• Contributor 166 posts since
      Mar 30, 2011
      Jun 1, 2011 5:38 PM (in response to stjvilla)
      White or dark towels?

We usually go towards beige or darker colors. White is very hard to clean even if you use bleach. I had white towels but some of the stains could not come out. Sometimes they came out white but you can still see a faded stain.

I buy most of my towels from Kohls where they have great sales on Towels. I bought some Vera Wang towels for $4 a piece a few weeks ago. When certain towels go on sale. I basically clean them out.

I saw some fellow vacation owners have tons of wash towels so they will be less likely to use towels for removing makeup or other items.

• Contributor 76 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    Jul 21, 2011 1:45 PM (in response to lasherry)

I use colored towels.  Our unit is in Hawaii and we live on the mainland.  I use the colors to determine how old the towels are so I know which to change out first.  My new cleaner wanted everything all one color and at first I accommodated but after two years I realized I didn't know which were old and which were new since they were all the same.  I went back to my old method and it's much better.  We only go to the unit yearly.  When I do the inventory I can look at the towels, look at the date purchased and determine if a replacement is in order.  Because the complex has a septic system the use of liquid bleach is not allowed.  I did, however, have one guest who ruined a new set of wash cloths & hand towels by bleaching them because he wanted "clean ones" every day.  Needless to say he was charged accordingly and was told he was not welcome to return.

I want to add a little note here that I didn't before:  I'm sure most of you know that to set the color in the towels before they're used, wash them in warm water and add 1 cup of white vinegar to the wash water.  The colors do not run and they do not fade as quickly.  I have towels that are 8 years old here at home that originated in the unit.  The colors are still wonderful but I felt they were too old to stay in the unit so I brought them home.  My friends have often commented on how bright my towels are compared to theirs.

Aug 5, 2011
    Aug 6, 2011 10:58 AM (in response to lasherry)
    White or dark towels?

I have white towels, white sheets, etc. This makes it much easier on the cleaning folks when they are washing and changing sheets on the beds and hanging clean towels. As someone else said.....easy to replace, you don't have to try and match and if washcloths get destroyed they are inexpensive to replace.

I use Sams club for all of it and they are very very nice!

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 779 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Mar 9, 2012 12:28 PM (in response to lasherry)

We use white or light colored towels.  If I use a light color I stock only that color; I think it appears more professional than a combination of different colors and styles.  .

I find white to appear freshhe , clean, and cool.  We are a summer season rental (May - Oct is our entire season) and I believe people prefer white or light colors in the heat of summer.  Dark colors, in my opinon are for winter.

White also allows you to determine the linens are clean.  Dark colors may suggest to a guest that the towels (or sheets) have stains or other issues hidden by the deeper tone.  But, that might be my own bias speaking . . . .

• swiss-house Contributor 260 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    Mar 12, 2012 1:27 PM (in response to lasherry)

Hot tub + colored towels = big orange blotches on towels.  We've tried all different brands, compositions (bamboo, cotton, cotton/poly mix) and colors (tan, brown, sea foam) it doesn't matter.  Contact with hot-tub water ruins anything but white towels.

We started putting out dedicated white towels for the hot tub and asking that guests not mix them with bath towels, but inevitably, they end up together and you get to take a couple more colored towels out of rotation. 

And as many have noted, there are many cosmetics that can cause the same effect - plus many cleaning supplies do so as well.

So we're fazing out all our colored towels and replacing them with Kohl's lowest cost white towels.  They are relatively light weight so they are easy to wash, but with fabric softener they are incredibly fluffy - we get great comments about them in the guest book all the time.

And in our own bathroom at home, we now have the most interesting collection of orange "tie-died" towels you might ever imagine!

• New Member 17 posts since
    Jun 13, 2011
    Apr 17, 2012 11:17 AM (in response to lasherry)

I had to laugh at your reply  Marilyn.  I have tie dyed towels at our home as well.  I was amazed how many beauty products must bleach the hand towels.

I have gone to all white towels as well.  Bleach works wonders.  Also Penny's now will take any returns if you have any problems.  I buy their quick Dry towels as they dry fast for renters also take less time in the dryer and are bleachable.  If have had a few where the threads have come apart but with thier return policy I just exchanged them with no problem.  They are pretty inexpensive as well but look nice, fluff up well and do dry quickly-a must when you have many.

Suzy

http://www.arbuckleparadise.com/

Aug 5, 2011
    Apr 17, 2012 6:58 PM (in response to lasherry)

Just a side note......Sam's Club (no I don't own stock...haha) has a section for hotel/motel type things such as towels, sheets, etc. Probably most of you know that, but for those that say they are new......just check it out. I got the nicest, softest towels there and get lots of comments on them. My last guest commented on how wonderful all the linens were. All purchased at Sam's!

Dec 31, 2010
    Aug 11, 2012 11:22 AM (in response to lasherry)

For those looking for organic towel with some color in them, they have some at overstock.com right now that I thought looked interesting.

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Organic-Cotton-Pebble-3-piece-Towel-Set/6811666/product.html

So far we've always had organic cotton or bamboo towels in light colors like ivory, taupe, beige.  These are darker colors like periwinkle blue, sage green, and burgandy.  

I'm not sure how those colors will work out ... I once had a personal bathroom that was done up in black and ivory colors, so I had the towels to match.  The black towels were a nightmare with regards to attracting lint.  So I'm "afraid" of buying darker colors.

However, I think I'll try these in the periwinkle blue and sage green.

They are $21.99 for a three-piece set, which is pretty good for organic cotton.

Also they have the all-over popcorn texture weave, which I really like.  With these types of towels, it feels so much more effective, like you can really rub the dampness off your body, compared to traditional terry-cloth towels.  But they are not scratchy at all ... they just have texture.   And it seems like they are more durable.  Also you don't have to worry about making them "fluffy" because they are not the type of towel that gets fluffy. 

I'm still feeling a little concerned about the blue and green towels changing my color scheme ... because this is how things have looked up until now.  But I think I will dive in and go for it! 

2011-04-20-Bathroom-Sink-Towels-Robes-Small-Size.jpg

Change is good, right!?  I just hope it doesn't turn into a lint fiasco ...

Dec 10, 2010
      Aug 12, 2012 12:22 AM (in response to sfvacationhut)

I love the popcorn texture of your towels.  It's a really nice touch and I'm sure guest will enjoy using them.  You'll have to let us know how the blue/green scheme works out. 

With four modest cabins to outfit, I have to keep my towel purchases more budget-minded so I use the Cannon towels from Costco (6 bath towels for $24; 12 hand towels for $15; can't remember the washcloth cost but they run about .40 each in a multi-pack).  They only come in white but are easy to maintain and stay pretty fluffy after many washings.  We've had a number of guests say they like the quality so I'm happy.

Amy

• carol Senior Contributor 2,150 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010
    Aug 11, 2012 10:39 PM (in response to lasherry)

I'm partial towards all white towels. However, I think it helps guests keep their towels separate if there are colors, so I do have a few pale colors.   I tried some dark blue towels and they lost color so fast they look too old to use now.  

Thanks, twobitrentals, for the Sam's club recommendation.  I purchased some @home towels from Target in February, put them into service in May, and some of them are starting to fray seriously already -- I won't buy them again.   Now, would any of you attempt to return a towel that did not last 6 months? 

Dec 31, 2010
    Aug 12, 2012 10:46 PM (in response to lasherry)

I came across this link with tips on how to display towels.

http://www.overstock.com/guides/how-to-display-bathroom-towels

Happy decorating ! 

• New Member 5 posts since
    Sep 19, 2012
    Sep 19, 2012 3:38 PM (in response to lasherry)

I know this is a little late, but I have to chime in about the lighter towels.  I have four vacation rentals and the darker ones do fade.  But another thing keeps happening with the darker towels...they get bleach spots on them even though we weren't bleaching.  After this started happening on my personal towels I discovered that it must be the bleaching action in the new "whitening" toothpastes!  Go for the lighter towels!

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,353 posts since
      May 25, 2011
      Sep 19, 2012 3:50 PM (in response to adobegirl)

On my recent post Labor Day trip to inventory our VR I discovered 8 white towels and 4 sets of white sheets my housekeeper had put into the "damaged" bin due to stains.

I pulled out the hydrogen peroxide and Oxy Clean, and with a bit of patience, got every  item back into perfect shape.

It may have only saved me a few hundred dollars, but those dollars go a long way when dealing with linen costs.

I can't do that with colored items.Tis why I stick with white.

Debj

Mar 31, 2011
    Sep 19, 2012 4:22 PM (in response to lasherry)

This issue is the perfect catch-22.  Pick white towels and every stain shows up.  Pick color towels that hide some of the stains but then are subject to the bleach issues.  We used to have people put the linens and towels in the bathtubs when they leave because that is what we did when we went on vacation.  But, when we started having the bleach issue it was when the guest would clean out the tub with cleaner that has bleach in it.  Then the dirty towels and linens would be thrown into the tub that is not rinsed out.  We now have everything put on the bathroom floor.  Another mystery stain on towels and linens are from face creams.  My wife has spent many an evening patiently removing stains from white towels and linens.  We have 6 places and have a mixture of white in some and color in others.  There is no simple solution.  I keep telling my wife that we do this work because it has been the most enjoyable work we have ever done.  We work other full time jobs but the vacation business is just more fun.  Except for stained towels and linens! 

Aug 5, 2011
      Sep 19, 2012 5:10 PM (in response to dodgertown1)

Face Creams? or make-up? Usually face creams are put on after washing and drying, so maybe you are saying on the sheets? Hmmmmm,

I haven't had any problems with my all white sheets/towels. I use white for everything so that the cleaning people can wash everything together and add the cup of bleach as needed. However, even with the "special" make-up remover towelettes that I leave in my VR home, our washcloths still get stained from time to time from folks using them to remove make-up......and then they need replacing. But I only have to do that about every 18 months and thankfully, it has only be the washcloths.

• New Member 12 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011
    Sep 19, 2012 10:31 PM (in response to lasherry)

I bought forest green towels from Sears.  I've had an awful time with finding yellow spots on hand and bath towels.  So I bought towels this time from Costco.  They have some sort of color guard in them and so far I have not had any problems.  I have used Costco towels at home for years and they hold up for years and I think are a better value.

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
      Aug 9, 2011
      Sep 23, 2012 7:28 PM (in response to tylerma7)

I like to use mostly off white towels but I do have a few sets of cream colored, yellow and sea green sets of towels. I've tried different makers through the years and nailed down what I like best and stock up on those brands (ditto for the sheets).  My favorites are those that wash well, don't wrinkle, keep their shape, stay fluffy, don't pull or fray and keep their colors.   I go for Charter Club (Macy's),  Costco's Charisma (the ones with the color guard) ....Ralph Lauren (I have a few sets of R. Lauren towels that last and last ...I bought them a long time ago...LOVE them)....and I have one set from Tommy Hillfiger that are holding up nicely.  The Costco ones are really washing well and keeping their shape and softness. 

I just had a middle-aged mother and adult daughter stay for 12 nights. They ruined 2 pillow cases ....they are very pale colored (sea green) pillow cases and now they have  big bleached out areas in the shape of a face's cheek to forehead, where their faces were on the pillows....the shapes were definitely from "faces".  It's actually bleached out. These two had slept with the same sheets for 12 nights (they didn't use the spares --- I am thankful, although the spares were all whites).   And, they both used the same product on their skin at night, whatever it was.  It was the first time, ever for me, that women bleached out pillow cases....I had read about this. 

Three towels had tan-ish / orange-ish marks here and there...I suspect from a self-tanning product  (??).  I bleached the tanning orange-ish stains out the white towels with no problem.  But, the very, very pale sea green pillow cases retain their "face marks" in bleached out white areas. 

[I don't understand why anyone would bring self-tanning lotions to a tropical location.]

• crescentbeach4u Community All-Star 862 posts since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Sep 23, 2012 6:38 PM (in response to lasherry)

Speaking of white towels etc, BIGLOTS has Tommy Hillfiger white towels on sale for $6 per towel.  They are of highest quality.  We also picked up 600 thread count sheets for a king at $39 a set.  Cant beat those prices.

Doug

• New Member 3 posts since
    Nov 7, 2012
    Nov 7, 2012 6:08 PM (in response to lasherry)

HI-

I have a summer beach property, charged my renters $100.00 per week for beach towels, bath and kitchen towels. Bought 12 of each at Target...all white towels except for the beach towels. I always left laundry detergent for them to wash during the week or two week rentals...11 years later, I have replaced only 5 towels...the white ones always looked so classy and spa-ish! Each towel cost between $5.00 and $6.00, lasted along time.

I specifically listed how many towels I would leave in the contract, and over the years, I ended up with many stray towels and rarely lost a washcloth...Never had a problem.

• New Member 12 posts since
    Mar 30, 2011
    Feb 19, 2013 12:05 PM (in response to lasherry)

White Towels are the best way to go, I agree with the majority here in the thread that the Dark Color Towels unless with the most extreme caution will become faded and lose the "Luxuriousness" of the color.

White towels can be softened and taken care of but will last only a certain amount of time depending on your occupancy.

In our experience We have found that Microfiber/Bamboo  towels (We use ours from Home Source) are great alternatives to standard towel. Not only if taken care of can get softer with time, but take less time drying (Helpingthe bottom line), are resistant to stains and seem to be much softer than the majority of your Costco or mid ranged Towels!

These towels require different type of washing but over all truly give the feeling of Luxuriousness and can withstand the wear and tear of a vacation rental!

The towel will cost twice of what a regular towell could be but the additional investment will make your clients really appreciating the luxurious touches of soft white Towels in their rooms.

• ramonolivencia New Member 1 posts since
    Oct 13, 2012
    Feb 22, 2013 12:30 PM (in response to lasherry)

I think hotels use white towels since they have powerful washing machines that can clean them in ultra-hot water. However, I like to alternate with colored ones since they give a homey feeling to the vacation rental.

Ramon

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p209910

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Feb 22, 2013 4:12 PM (in response to lasherry)

I'm going to white - for the life of me, I can't figure out what my guests do, but the colored towels always have what I thought were bleach spots on them.  And then my cleaning lady told me it's ladies' makeup!  Apparently there's something in it that acts like bleach.....?  Learn something new everyday!

Aug 9, 2011
      Feb 22, 2013 5:00 PM (in response to marym)

marym wrote:

[...]   I can't figure out what my guests do, but the colored towels always have what I thought were bleach spots on them. ...]  Apparently there's something in it that acts like bleach.....? 

I'm not sure if there is makeup that would do this...[???].....but, there are products that women and men  use that contain peroxide and other bleaching agents for cosmetic reasons. They can be skin lighteners and acne creams. I believe that some anti-age skin products can also stain / bleach.  I haven't had "bleached" out spots on towels, although the pillow slips were ruined once.

I only know that two of my guests were using an anti acne product (they left behind an empty and an almost squeezed out tube of anti age cream) ....and of the four bed pillows that I have on the bed...the pillow cases on both sides of the bed were bleached out where their faces rested on them. One,or both of those products combined, did the damage.  Perhaps it does the same damage on colored towels!  Although I have no experience with these, another Owner once told me that she thought the strong whitening toothpastes can bleach out towels.

I use both cream and white towels which both wash very well  (the oxygen products work for me when there is a stain).

• sophie Senior Contributor 969 posts since
        Mar 4, 2011
        Feb 22, 2013 6:54 PM (in response to anja)

Something else that I think happens a lot is that people due their hair when they're on vacation. I put some light tan towels into my houses and I was noticing bleaching in just the exact spot on the towels as if a woman were to put her hair up in it.

It's frustrating either way. The white towels get stains on them and the dark ones get bleached!

Aug 9, 2011
          Feb 22, 2013 9:17 PM (in response to sophie)

YES...you're right... some do dye their hair on vacation [I don't  know  why but I never imagined this happening]..  There are at least four incidences at my place that I know  of.  One dropped the bottle, checked out ...but first covered the stained travetine floor tiles with a bath mat. Another woman left me with a shower curtain splashed with dark colored dye.  Two young women traveling together left behind a "head stain" where one of them leaned back in a recliner (we found the henna box in the trash).  And, then there was the strange orange haired lady (orange like clown colored)....walking up my driveway .... I wondered if it could be one of those people making rounds to do door-to-door religious conversion on me... ..then I realized it was MY GUEST ....she checked in with dark blond hair the day before!  At least, all of her dye ended up on  her head and not a spot elsewhere.

• carol Senior Contributor 2,150 posts since
            Dec 10, 2010
            Feb 22, 2013 9:56 PM (in response to anja)

Anja: that's horrible about the tiles -- were you able to get them clean? 

I recently learned that those white doilies that people used to put on the backs of chair were called "antimacassars" because in the Victorian age, men would sleek back their hair with a dark oil called "macassar".  The doilies were needed to keep the oil stain off the furniture.   Maybe we all should return to using antimacassars!

Aug 9, 2011
              Feb 23, 2013 12:50 AM (in response to carol)

carol wrote:

[...]   that's horrible about the tiles -- were you able to get them clean? 

Yes... When we found it, the stain was still fresh ...the floor still damp... so she had to have done the dye job the morning she was checking out. I entered the cottage and started attacking it immediately after so I did get the red/brown color out. The tiles are 18" x 18" square and 4 of them were smear stained...and there was splatter on one wall, rather high up the wall.  It looked as if she smeared it around when trying to clean the floor, herself. I understand that accidents happen, but then she put our thick, plush bathroom area "rug" right over the stain to conceal it before she came over to say "Bye" to us...and said nothing about the accident.  We were able to clean the floor stain thoroughly by scrubbing it repeatedly a few times with a soap we use to clean the stone. It came out fine we think because we recently (luckily) had re-applied fresh travetine stone sealer on the floor and that must have prevented the dye from deep absorbtion.  There was one wall area that also had splashes on it...and luckily it was the accent wall and I still had the can of that color!   I had to repaint that wall of the bathroom that same day...we had new  guests arriving the following day.   I used my "trusty" carpet shampooer's hand-held attachment for upholstery on the chair with an oxi clean solution and the "head stain" was gone....it vacuumed it out with the shampoo! No trace of these accidents are visible.

• lorraine.mcgill Contributor 30 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Feb 22, 2013 9:47 PM (in response to lasherry)

I have created a Facebook group for vacation rental owners to offer a place where we can discuss these sorts of issues as well as any other questions, concerns, suggestions. This group is not affiliated with any listing services and just serves as a place for us to communicate. It is a closed group so you need to request to "Join Group" (by clicking the button in the top right) then an admin with approve. This helps keep spammers from posting in the group. You can join by going to this page:https://www.facebook.com/groups/vacationrentalowners/

• New Member 16 posts since
      Feb 19, 2013
      Feb 24, 2013 9:03 PM (in response to lorraine.mcgill)

Honestly I find the colored towels work great for us. We do have white towels in the mix, but most of them eventually get yanked because I cannot get them clean. I've had guests wipe the outdoor decs with new white towels so I''m not a fan.

I purchase about 300 plus towels a year to replenish those towels that get worn out - so for me price is everything. I go for the best quality I can get within the pricepoint and I do well with them.

• tara51 New Member 3 posts since
    Oct 2, 2012
    Mar 17, 2013 8:15 AM (in response to lasherry)

I had my new towels ruined from bleach, I know the lady bleached her hair, I had stains on my shower curtain. Why can't they use the old pink and purple ones I left for that reason! One of my previous guest used the nice towel under the cat litter box. What is wrong with these people?

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
      Feb 10, 2011
      Mar 17, 2013 8:36 AM (in response to tara51)

I think it's the age-old battle of some guests figuring "It's not my house/stuff, so I don't care", or "Hey, I've paid for this so I can do what I want." There will always be those kinds of guests....

• debbie.stolle Contributor 71 posts since
    Mar 17, 2013
    Apr 3, 2013 9:52 PM (in response to lasherry)

From the number of posts and the different responses...it looks like the whites may have it.

I agree that it is a decision based on personal taste. While some mention that think a colored dark towel may be dirty...I can tell if mine are stained most definitely. I can also tell if they are clean and fluffy.

I am still using towels that are between three and five years old, never fade at all. Also there are new treatments in the color evidently that are making dark colored towels bleachable! (I noted this recently on some I bought at Target...but theirs are not thick and thirsty, I bought some designer patterns for my own home) This will keep those who use acne medicine from ruining towels...I hope they start using it for sheets soon because we have lost a few pillow cases.

While we keep absolutely NO BLEACH in the home for our guests use at all, they have access to stainlifting like shout. I purchase at Walmart....they have a line of towels that are thick and thirsty and I always get compliments on them...they are not inexpensive, I could get a better buy at Homegoods. But they carry them all of the time so if I need replacements they are available.

I have a rustic lodge and browns, greens, and tans blend with our decor while white would definitely look out of place...as a decorator the look matters very much to me. I know my towels are luxurious and clean and I think from the standards of my home, my guests believe that as well.

• stjvilla Active Contributor 624 posts since
      May 27, 2011
      Apr 4, 2013 8:43 AM (in response to debbie.stolle)

Good points, debbie.  We have only just now purchased a full set of white towels in addition to our pale apricot and aqua.  Recently we have had several incidents of bleaching by skin product (?) and, although white towels can eventually be stained so much they can't be cleaned and used, only one bleaching ruins our colored towels.  There is no perfect answer to this problem, but certainly white towels are easier and cheaper to replace.  (We still love our colors however!)

• mimseyme New Member 5 posts since
    Apr 20, 2013
    Apr 20, 2013 8:09 AM (in response to lasherry)

White towels are the only way to go.  They always look clean, they can be bleached and treated for stains.  If you buy darker towels and mix them with white...guess what:  the bits of colored cloth end up all over the white towels and vice versa.  Stick with white for a clean sanitary look.  I get white towels at Walmart Super Center (or Walmart) and they have a colored piping on both ends along the edge and the colored piping comes in many pretty colors.  These are nice big bath towels for $4.00 each and they last forever.  I find them on sale occasionally too.  They have matching hand towels and washclothes too, but they are a little over priced.  So I go to Kohls or Bed Bath & Beyond for just plain white bundled bargain priced hand towels and washclothes that hold up very well.

• evavrmanager New Member 3 posts since
    Jul 24, 2013
    Jul 24, 2013 4:06 PM (in response to lasherry)

The home that I manage is stocked with both white for bath use and dark if the guests have used suntan lotion or colored their hair or for taking off makeup.  After departure of guests I go over to the house and gather the sheets for the laundry facility, take out trash and start some of the towel laundry.  I did at one time think we had lost all of our white towels to make-up stains.  I sprayed them with OxyClean, soaked them in hot water and OxyClean detergent. And I did them all by hand.    They were restored back to new, bright white and fluffy. I love OxyClean and I also love the idea of hydrogen peroxide.  I will need to research that one and try it on white towels at my own home first

• annie196 New Member 17 posts since
    Apr 14, 2012
    Aug 22, 2013 1:46 PM (in response to lasherry)

I'm a white towel and sheet user.  Bleach works great. Buy them in bulk to save money.

• thefacilitator New Member 16 posts since
    Sep 25, 2013
    Sep 28, 2013 5:58 PM (in response to lasherry)

White is always better. Dark colors tend to fade and not look as sanitary. Also it makes it easier for housekeeping to launder. Facial cleansers such as Pro Active include peroxide which bleaches colors

• dawn91 New Member 1 posts since
    Oct 24, 2013
    Oct 24, 2013 10:37 AM (in response to lasherry)

Well, the problem isn't usually bleach per se, it is the facial washes that contain Benzoyl Peroxide (Proactive, etc) I have had this problem in my own home.  Most of my colored towels are splotchy from drying our faces after using this product.  I have had the best luck with Ivory or very light beige towels. They are now marketing towels that wont fade from Benzoyl Peroxide.  They are a bit more pricey, though.

• jacobwilson8 New Member 8 posts since
    Oct 29, 2013
    Oct 29, 2013 6:28 AM (in response to lasherry)

As you said that everything in your room is white so it’s better that you have white towels so that it matches your color texture of your room.

• vhassistant New Member 19 posts since
    Jun 5, 2013
    Jan 16, 2014 12:35 PM (in response to lasherry)

White for bath, Black for face size towels, colored for kitchen.

Have all white towels but leave a few face towels that are black and specify these are for make up.  Your guests will appreciate that.

• larkobx Contributor 134 posts since
    Feb 16, 2013
    Feb 14, 2014 10:23 AM (in response to lasherry)

FYI, these micro-cotton towels are on sale on Woot today. I bought three sets for about $8.33/towel with shipping and taxes. The reviews say they're super soft and absorbant but on the thin side, which is perfect for drying quickly.

http://home.woot.com/offers/microcotton-4pc-bath-towel-set-8-colors-5

• victoriam Contributor 95 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012
    Feb 14, 2014 11:17 AM (in response to lasherry)

I actually use all different colored towels so that guests can remember which is theirs and use it a couple of times. 

Aug 5, 2011
      Feb 14, 2014 11:19 AM (in response to victoriam)

I would do this too, if it wouldn't take more time to wash/dry for the cleaners. All the sheets are white too, so that it ends up being only a couple of loads of laundry which can be done, while they are doing the other cleaning in the home.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)