Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
16349 Views 34 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2012 10:05 AM by gonefishin RSS
msdebj Senior Contributor 1,350 posts since
May 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 11, 2012 11:03 AM

Seen the new HA TV ad yet?

In my inbox this morning I got the link to HA's new promotional ad. I'm curious to see what you guys think.

IMHO it's not bad ( but as a home owner I could do without the food fight & kids jumping on the beds!)

• kristin.r Contributor 116 posts since
    Jun 1, 2011
    Jan 11, 2012 11:16 AM (in response to msdebj)
    Re: Seen the new HA TV ad yet?

I just saw it myself.  I just wonder why they only did the commercial pushing homeaway rather than VRBO.  It just seems to me that they are making a greater push in regards to homeaway.  I thought VRBO was larger than Homeaway.  Whats with the push?  I think I will go watch it again.  K

• Contributor 62 posts since
      Mar 12, 2011
      Jan 19, 2012 10:05 AM (in response to kristin.r)

HomeAway doesn't get it!   They still can't figure out how VRBO and VacationRentals.com was kicking their butt and now they own them.  VRBO is where vacationers learned to seek vacation rentals FROM OWNERS!...they still do, however now many aren't owners.  VacationRentals.com chose its name well.  What did people type in their search engines?  HomeAway...I don't think so!

• New Member 2 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    Jan 11, 2012 12:21 PM (in response to msdebj)

Is there any mention of VRBO in this ad campaign? I haven't found it yet.  How is this good for those of us on VRBO?

Jun 1, 2011
      Jan 11, 2012 12:34 PM (in response to chckers)

This is bothering me alot about VRBO.  Since October I have had only 3 inquiries from HA and one of those being the scam from the Ukraine.  Now VRBO has been MY #1 contender with 37 inquiries.  I  have heard most people say that VRBO beats HA ten fold.  I also have been hearing alot of people say they are going to cancel their ads.  I am too but only my HA Ad and not my VRBO Ad.  So I am very concerned with the push they are making only with the Homeaway product.

Jan 11, 2012
      Jan 11, 2012 2:19 PM (in response to chckers)

Kristin and chckers -

We appreciate your feedback.  Our extensive research indicates that there is

clearly a low awareness of vacation rentals as an accommodations option among

travelers. Therefore, we believe this campaign will bring more attention to

vacation rentals as a category as a whole and simply a better accommodation

option for family and friends. So our expectation is the ads will benefit all

our brands as well.

While each of HomeAway's vacation rental brands are not called out in a

single ad, they are closely associated with HomeAway.  More importantly,

from a marketing perspective it is difficult for viewers to recall multiple

brands in one commercial, especially for a service relatively unfamiliar to

start with. 

We elected to continue as we have over the last three years in our

advertising efforts and focus our television presence on HomeAway to build

upon previous campaigns and awareness to bring more attention to the

category.  In addition, VRBO.com and VacationRentals.com receive a

significant share of marketing spend in other forms of marketing and search

advertising. 

Thanks again,

Matt Cohen

HomeAway, Inc.

Senior Director of Brand Marketing

• anja Senior Contributor 1,555 posts since
        Aug 9, 2011
        Jan 11, 2012 5:21 PM (in response to matt.cohen)

Hi Matt,

I understand the marketing angle of presenting The Brand HA.   But, as Owner, what I seriously object to is the content of any advertisement that presents a "renter" mistreating an Owner's home!  Why do you choose to accept content for HA's ads that presents people misbehaving in someone else's home?  I know...I used to work in advertising...I know that you in the corporate office do not come up with the ad concepts...but HA Corp. does "approve" that concept and content, before the commercial airs. So, why?  Why show renters abusing someone else's home they {only} rented for short-term use?  Why not a more respectful presentation in HA's ads for the "product" ....which is the property we Owners pay dearly to have...invest in...lovingly maintain....beautify...promote...and to share with vacationers? If any one of my "guests" in my home acted the way HA's own commercials depict....I would THROW THEM OUT of my house.  Would HA Corp employees and executives want a food fight in your homes?  I think not.

Jan 11, 2012
        Jan 11, 2012 3:15 PM (in response to matt.cohen)

Thank you for the explanation.  I understand that the ad campaign will increase awarenss of the vacation rental segment.  But the sample video posted directs viewers to homeaway.com - it's hard to imagine how that would increase VRBO.com traffic in a meaningful way.  And a major ad campaign for HomeAway certainly has the potential to draw away from VRBO since the two brands are essentially competing for the same traffic.

Is there public info on how much in advertising is spent on each brand?  Some transparency would be welcome. 

Jun 1, 2011
          Jan 11, 2012 3:34 PM (in response to chckers)

It was my first initial thought as soon as I saw it, they are trying to get the H/A name out there desperately.  It clearly isn't the front runner as the parent company to VRBO. HA clearly has low awareness compared to VRBO.  I believe **** is gonna hit the fan soon especially with the scams running rampant through their system. 

Aug 9, 2011
              Jan 11, 2012 5:24 PM (in response to msdebj)

Ditto....!   We can not be the only two Owners that feel this way.  No one wants their homes "abused".

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
                Dec 10, 2010
                Jan 11, 2012 9:08 PM (in response to anja)

I was really enjoying the spot until :35 seconds in where the kids with shaving cream and the girls jumping on the bed made me stop and play it back again.  I was very surprised this made the final cut.  I can sort of handle the popcorn fight (though I didn't like it) but goofing around with shaving cream in a rental home or bouncing on a bed? To me, it sends a message that says parents can let their kids run wild in a vacation home...it's not your house, you don't have to worry about the clean-up or the broken bed frame...go play, kids!  I thought the same thing as MsDebJ:  how did this commercial get final approval without ANYone at HA thinking that the kids' antics might be a bit disingenuous to all the people (aka "customers") who advertise their vacation homes on Homeaway sites? 

The spot has a nice overall feel though...good music choice, good voice talent, nice visuals that pull you in and make you think about your own family and friends--good times.  I particularily like the shots around the fire pit.  Many of the shots are quick-cuts where you really don't see much of the moment, so you have to listen to the voice talent or you get lost in a montage of family moments and may miss the message.  This is far and away a better campaign than the flying baby spot and though I also wish it could highlight more than just Homeaway.com, I understand the realities and limitations of a TV spot. 

• info@stayattremblant.com Active Contributor 540 posts since
        Aug 25, 2011
        Jan 12, 2012 10:31 AM (in response to matt.cohen)

Matt.Cohen,

Thank you for previewing the ad to your customers (us owners).

Is this ad a fait-accomplis or is our feedback being welcomed / listened to?

I absolutely forbid some of the people portrayed in the video from staying at my property.

>> While each of HomeAway's vacation rental brands are not called

>> out in a single ad, they are closely associated with HomeAway.

Yes, they are; but there will not be traffic driven to VRBO.com as a result of the words "HomeAway.com" on someone's television screen.  Let's face it, there is no longer any product differentiation between VRBO and HomeAway.  Please merge the two or cut VRBO.com loose and let a company responsible and responsive to owner's feedback take the reins.

I think this can be an active decision on the part of HomeAway group or it will be made by the Market.  The two sites will be unable to coexist for long.  As a Marketing person, you know this.

P.

• tansy Active Contributor 395 posts since
        Feb 15, 2011
        Jan 17, 2012 1:28 AM (in response to matt.cohen)

Oh no ...here we go again...last time it was throwing babies at glass walls & jumping on beds...now it's fire, popcorn,allowed to leap into pools and the obligatory jumping on beds,,,bet the folk that make these ads have never had to clear up after a family that would behave like that in their property...I'll be starting my complaint procedure again...this is so tedious, as if I haven't enough to do!

I have better imagination that you campaign leaders - would you like some help to REALLY promote vacation rentals...I'd be a LOT cheaper too!!

• Contributor 145 posts since
    May 12, 2011
    Jan 12, 2012 12:09 AM (in response to msdebj)

My husband and I had the same reaction when we watched the new HomeAway ad this evening.  This started out as such a nice professional advertisement and then 30 seconds into it our jaw dropped….We actually could not believe what we were seeing.  Why on earth would HomeAway promote that it is acceptable for families to show complete disregard for owners home.   The bedding ensembles in my vacation homes are all custom made so the thought of a child putting on shaving cream and jumping on my beds was so upsetting that this advertisement actually made me cry.   Please Mr. Cohen I am begging you to please do something right away about editing out those terrible scenes.  This advertising medium is telling the public that it is perfectly acceptable for families to rent our vacation homes and that is acceptable for families to trash it.   Those scenes are not how we want our homes portrayed! 

• lrbaldwin Active Contributor 754 posts since
    Feb 16, 2011
    Jan 12, 2012 8:00 AM (in response to msdebj)

This ad just reinforces my opinion that HA/VRBO have no idea what the owners (their paying customers) go through and need.  Maybe some of you would like to make a comment at the end of the following page that has a video of the ad:

http://www.tnooz.com/2012/01/11/news/homeaway-becomes-a-verb-with-positive-ad-campaign-video/

• Contributor 30 posts since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Jan 12, 2012 1:03 PM (in response to msdebj)

I agree with many of the above posts, it would be a fine advertisement if the poor behavior scenes were replaced.

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
      Dec 10, 2010
      Jan 13, 2012 9:20 AM (in response to diver)

Matt, will the spot that airs on the cable channels and during the awards shows be a :60 spot or cut down to a TV :30?  And is there any chance that HA would consider replacing video in the scenes with the unruly kids? 

• stjvilla Active Contributor 624 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    Jan 13, 2012 9:44 AM (in response to msdebj)

Well, I really liked the very positive spin of the Let's Stay Together ad, (although agree with everyone that I don't want kids jumping on my beds either!)  The ad is still a huge improvement on the "Ministry of DeTourism" ads which were over-the-top negative in tone and too frantic.

Or just bring back the Griswolds!

Jan 11, 2012
    Jan 13, 2012 5:35 PM (in response to msdebj)

Thanks everyone for the comments.  This campaign is designed to raise awareness of vacation rentals among travelers, and portray how a vacation in a rental home is one where shared moments and memories are created.  These special moments among families and groups are authentic, often unplanned, can sometimes be fun, goofy, sentimental, and more. 

Amy, in terms of the version that will air on TV, the majority of our placements will be :30 seconds, including the one scheduled to air in the Golden Globes. The :30 second version of the ad is slightly different, and does not contain the few seconds that include kids having fun with pillows or popcorn.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Aug 9, 2011
      Jan 13, 2012 5:39 PM (in response to matt.cohen)

Thank so much for the response, Matt. I sincerely appreciate the feedback when it comes from HA staff.   All I ask is that you keep the message "tidy"...because it's our "product" that gets abused by the "authentic, unplanned, goofy" moments.  Destruction to private property shouldn't be encouraged.

• bobbie32 Senior Contributor 1,084 posts since
        May 21, 2011
        Jan 13, 2012 5:58 PM (in response to anja)

Personally I do not understand why vacation homes have to be portrayed as a place to stay for a family.  We cater to honeymooners and those celebrating special occasions like anniversaries and birthdays.  We really like having a party of two people even though we can sleep 4 to 6.  We push honeymoons and there are plenty of honeymooners that love renting a vacation home rather than staying in a hotel, motel or resort.  Not to mention that children can be destructive as portrayed in the video - food fights, jumping on beds, etc.  True, not all children are alike, but most adults have a tendency to treat a vacation home with a little more respect - not all, but most. 

• info@stayattremblant.com Active Contributor 540 posts since
          Aug 25, 2011
          Jan 13, 2012 7:59 PM (in response to bobbie32)

Hi bobbie32,

I had the same reaction but I was a bit afriad to mention it since society these days is so incredibly child-centric and sensitive to anyone who says anything not posititivily-positive about kids.

There was about 1 or 2 seconds of balance in the ad (a group of adults hiking, I think) but every single other scene had children in it.  My ideal target audience is also a couple 25+yrs of age.  They do also mention "friends".  So we've got kids, kids, kids, families and friends, at least.

One other aspect missing was any seasonal or geographical balance.  It's winter where I am -- this ad isn't going to attract much attention to vacation desinations in Canada (or anywhere else that it's winter) with a bunch of kids jumping around in swimsuits.

"Whether your a family discovering new adventures [show a family at a beachfront property examining starfish], friends having their yearly reunion [show a group having a beer "toast" while BBQing outside in the snow at a cabin] or a couple seeking a romantic getaway [show a couple in a beautiful European destination enjoying a glass of wine], let HomeAway.com take you there!"

I don't know if that's any good or not... but I would have preferred it over the copy in the ad.

Having said all that, it's not a horrible ad -- it just seems to lack balance (demographis, seasonal, geographical) and, despite HA's (unbelievable) claim above that it will strengthen VRBO.com and VacationRentals.com brands as well, it will realistically only benefit those who advertise on HomeAway.com  (in terms of direct website traffic & bookings as a result of the ad). 

It may, in fact, serve to de-value the VRBO.com brand -- which would be a shame because, as many of us owners have noted, it seems to currently be the better performing site.

Hopefully HA has a series of these planned to provide the balance that was lacking in this ad.

P.

• bobbie32 Senior Contributor 1,084 posts since
            May 21, 2011
            Jan 13, 2012 10:15 PM (in response to info@stayattremblant.com)

<Whether your a family discovering new adventures [show a family at a beachfront property examining starfish], friends having their yearly reunion [show a group having a beer "toast" while BBQing outside in the snow at a cabin] or a couple seeking a romantic getaway [show a couple in a beautiful European destination enjoying a glass of wine], let HomeAway.com take you there!">

I like it!

Aug 9, 2011
            Jan 13, 2012 11:46 PM (in response to info@stayattremblant.com)

During the research and production phase, a  focus group of owners who list their properties on HA's websites, ought to be conducted by the ad agency that produces HA's advertisements.... to get the owners' reactions ....and glean their ideas  to achieve the "balance" and the appropriate presentation to promote private {property} vacation rentals. I seriously doubt owners would approve the depiction of food fights, baby tossing, children playing with shaving cream in someone else's home....all quite destructive and baby-abusive behaviours. Not funny...not goofey.  It's careless, reckless, abusive.  Such "guests" would be held accountable for property damages, and under arrest for the baby tossing {ref. the Super Bowl HA ad}.  Again...would the staff, mangement and CEO of HA permit any of that behaviour in their private homes?

• lrbaldwin Active Contributor 754 posts since
      Feb 16, 2011
      Jan 14, 2012 8:36 AM (in response to matt.cohen)

Matt,

Are there any employees of HomeAway et al that own vacation rental properties?  I would assume they advertise on the HA sites.  I would very much like to have a list of those properties and links to their sites.  Maybe there are some good tips/tricks we can learn from them, or MAYBE one of them is located where I would like to vacation.

Thanks,

Linda

http://vrbo.com/315522

• tansy Active Contributor 395 posts since
      Feb 15, 2011
      Jan 17, 2012 1:29 AM (in response to matt.cohen)

will still have fire then?!!!

• Contributor 145 posts since
    May 12, 2011
    Jan 14, 2012 9:34 PM (in response to msdebj)

I’m sorry to say that I always feel like I am playing Russian Roulette when we rent to families with children/teens.  Last year a teen leaned back in one of my dining room chairs and split the back out.  We are talking about a $700.00 dining room chair this kid broke so now I only have 11 instead of 12 because it could not be replaced…even thinking about it I still get upset.  I now have a disclaimer that says that only well behaved children are welcome in my home”  I have more stores about children renting my homes….I asked a guest to “Like” my Facebook page and they did not realize that one of the teens put up a video on Facebook showing they were jumping off my antique pool table and doing flips across the top of the pool table.  I guess HomeAway would consider this to be “Goofy”   I called the renter and they had her son call me back to apologize but the damage was done they damaged the felt.  Another terrible experience that I would like to share is we had a guest that gave her 13 year old son a beebe gun for his 13th birthday during the stay he shot up all the walls in one of our bedrooms.  The other children in the family used my very expensive pool sticks as swords and broke them in half and tossed them into the lake.  We had just finished a major remodel and they were the first renters to occupy my home.  After this experience I blocked my calendar to make it only available 8-10 weeks a year and jacked my rates up 10 times and require at least two solid references before I will rent to families with children.  This was why I was so outraged with the new HomeAway advertisement.  I wish I could send the kid who shot up my bedroom walls to one of the HomeAway executives homes and let them tell me if they think this is “Goofy”…sorry but I am really ****** off with them promoting bad behavior!

Aug 9, 2011
      Jan 15, 2012 11:23 PM (in response to vacationlady)

Your experiences are sobering.  The image of "families and friends getting together"...kicking back...having fun...should  be depicted in the commercials without the risky behaviours.  So sorry for you...and I'm angry just on your behalf, alone...let alone my own more minor experiences. I can't believe what parents permit their children to do in others' homes. Once, when "screening" an inquirer,  I traced her email to YouTube... and found the family's videos...the rough house, pranks, screeching was unnerving...and enough to have my resident neighbors calling the police {I did not book them}.  I've not had the grand  damages that you've had...but I too have had enough disregard by parents...which caused me to change my rental policy.   Now, I too state that, "Children with responsible parents are welcome"...{I include rules for children  as part of my rental agreement}. The majority of my guests, far and wide, leave no damage and treat my property well.  But, what I have had success with is reducing the overall occupancy capacity to a maximum of 3 people per my rentals...and the maximum number of children that I will accept in either of my two accommodations is limited to 1 child in the mix {2 parents + 1 child  or 1 parent + 1 child}.  Realistically, I could have 2 adults + 2 children {on a sleep sofa for two},  but, I won't do it now.  The reason is, without fail, every time I rented  to a family with 2 children, they left me with more damage than I could accept.  Nothing serious, as yours, but too many incidents of broken items, missing items, sloppiness and disorder in all rooms, food pieces found in between cushions, under furniture...even cake behind the TV once {food fight?}...very dirty and broken beach gear, missing snorkel gear, dirty and grass-stained blankets that were clearly played with an dragged around outside, rearranged furniture, electronics all screwed up, grimey hands on walls, windows -- major clean up always when there has been 2 children present. A family with 2 teens broke 3 body boards, tore snorkel fins, and.the parents bragged that their teenagers cooked and did washing up. So, we found a filthy stove top an oven...and every single plate, glass, pot/pan and flatware put back  greasy. With only one child per family, the parents appeared to be paying more attention and have a better check on what the "kid" is up to ...at least that's been my experience. We've since had nothing to compare with damage...and it's been two years since we changed the occupancy policy. So, I'll rather pass up the business with families with 2 children.  ATTENTION:  Home Away...listen...it's not all about your Traveler customer's "experience". It seems your not concerned with the outcomes  because you only view them as your opportunity to sell your damage insurance.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)