Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
19895 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2012 4:46 PM by jsd2643 RSS
New Member 10 posts since
Jan 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 7, 2011 2:13 PM

Wireless Thermostats and Temp Sensors

My company just began offering some pretty neat WiFi Temperature Sensors. I began marketing these to restaurants and grocery stores, and realized that they may spark some interest in the secondary home market. They are very small sensors that report to a personal website by using existing WiFi networks. If temperatures leave a preset temperature range, the sensor will actually send a text message and/or email alert.

Also, I have been learning about our wireless thermostat setup, which is currently being used by the owner of our company in his Deep Creek, MD vacation home. They allow control and monitoring from anywhere in the world with a simple internet connection. Hot tubs can be monitored as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to who would be most interested in these? Either the home owners, maintenance businesses, or maybe even realty companies? You can get a WiFi sensor for $80, so I think that the prices would be pretty attractive to all.

Here is a short YouTube link that describes the sensors a little better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exGI5R8sdno

Attachments:
  • New Member 4 posts since
    Feb 8, 2011
    Feb 8, 2011 12:50 PM (in response to jasonm)
    Re: Wireless Thermostats and Temp Sensors

we are thinking about doing this.

Does anyone have any suggestions about controls that will work with 2 stage Lennox heat pumps...

I'm told this Bay Web product for $220 will work:

http://www.pexsupply.com/BAYweb-BW-WT2-B-BAYweb-Advanced-Network-Thermostat-Black

does anyone have any experience with these?

cheers,

eureka!

http://www.deepholecreek.com

• Contributor 42 posts since
        Nov 3, 2011
        Dec 13, 2011 6:51 PM (in response to jasonm)

My wife has terminated the property manager for condos on beach in SC in an effort to see a real ROI. ResortLock4000M will be installed shortly and the software will be purchased. After the installation is complete on this unit she will do the same thing with another unit in the same area.

The property manager in the mountain cottage at our expense installed a temperature sensor and the second year we received a call that the sensor had sent a message that the temperature had dropped below the parameters.The culprit was that the gas intake(natural gas is not available) had developed a leak resulting no heat in the coldest part of winter.

How and where does one order these sensors and how difficult are they to install? Is there a recurring fee? My wife would like to install these in two units.

And with regard to the thermostats controlled by remote what problems have been associated with them? One unit is two bedrooms and has a heat pump but I don't recall the brand-- seems like the a/c was replaced about six or seven years ago. These units were constructed in the early 1970s,.Primary interest and probably only interest is to possess the ability to turn down the heat when not rented and the a/c in the summer.  TThis system has emergency heat and when used breaks the bank.

The other unit has a two bedroom lock out with its separate thermostat-- these units were built about 2000.So I assume each thermostat needs the wireless device.

Would appreciate any feed back from anyone on how difficult the installation is process, ie does she need to engage a professional.

Feb 8, 2011
          Dec 14, 2011 8:39 AM (in response to piavian_43)

I installed the Trane thermostats that work with Schlage Link myself.  Our heat pumps are two-stage, 7 wire.

The Schlage tel support is really good.  they will walk you through it.  The hardest part is labeling each wire as you remove them from the old thermostat, and making sure you connect them to the right terminal on the new thermostat.  They provide little labels, and a mapping diagram.  I did that, and then walked through it again with them over the phone just to make sure I got it right.  It does require complete sobriety!! 

I also did it on a warm fall day when "no heat" would not be harmful.  And made sure my HVAC contractor was available for backup. 

regards, blair

-- Quoting piavian_43 <community@homeaway.com>:

• Community from HomeAway **

Seek Advice. Get Answers. Optimize your Vacation Rental Business:

Go: http://community.homeaway.com

Nov 3, 2011
            Jan 4, 2012 9:42 AM (in response to jasonm)

One more question with regard to the temperature senson if you have time to respond-- from your message I am assuming that the sensor which is no longer available requires that the wireless connection be the one at the vacation property and not a wireless wherever you might be. Since the vacation rental is hours away and wireless service can encounter a problem there without our knowledge how effective would the temperature sensor be in fact?Thanks

William W. Jones,  Knoxville, TN   37919 Tel:  865-523-2445 Fax:  865-523-8033

wwj430@msn.com

Nov 3, 2011
                Jan 4, 2012 9:42 AM (in response to jasonm)

Thanks for your message. In the community I have read where one or two others have said that they have all the electronics in the owner's closet with a battery back-up system. Can you help me with that? Not there enough to know if the wifi is dependable or not. Am considering terminating agreement with realtor on the mountain cottage which has a sensor now which is charged to us by the realtor annually.thanks again

William W. Jones, Esq.

8858 Cedar Springs Lane, Suite 7000

Knoxville, TN   37923

Tel:  865-539-0474

Fax:  865-523-8033

wwj430@msn.com

• Active Contributor 343 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Feb 9, 2011 2:43 PM (in response to jasonm)

Hi everyone,

Thought you might be interested in a similar discussion in the Forums section, regarding guest access to controls for heat and air conditioning.

Perhaps it will spark some other ideas...

All the best,

Laura

HomeAway Community Manager

• Contributor 62 posts since
    Mar 1, 2011
    Mar 1, 2011 8:34 PM (in response to jasonm)

Jason do you have a link on where to buy those sensors? Are they ok to use in a semi outside environment like a greenhouse?

• fourseasonschalet New Member 7 posts since
    Apr 12, 2011
    Apr 26, 2011 5:02 PM (in response to jasonm)

I have been using Schlage Link for 2 years at our cabin rental.  I have keyless entry to the cabin, garage and supply closet.  As well as control of Zwave lights and thermostats.  You can schedule lock codes, light control and thermostat settings from the web or your phone.  You can also setup email notifications.  Check it out at:

http://link.schlage.com/

Available at Lowes and online at Amazon.

• fourseasonschalet New Member 7 posts since
    Apr 12, 2011
    Jun 16, 2011 5:57 PM (in response to jasonm)

All our electronic equipment (Internet router, Schlage bridge, security dvr, and microcell) are in a locked closet on a battery backup unit.

• vincentvent Contributor 32 posts since
    Jun 19, 2011
    Jun 19, 2011 11:31 PM (in response to jasonm)

You can do everyhing with this: http://www.can2go.com/

The learning curve might be a bit steep at first but the results are phenomenal. So far I have only seen it done in commercial buidings but I see it becoming versatile in homes as well.

Vincent Gagné

Feb 8, 2011
    Dec 1, 2011 10:10 AM (in response to jasonm)

It looks like Jason is using this forum to market his stuff.  Since this is America, I guess that is OK.  Go for it, Jason.

I just installed the Schlage Link System.  There is lots to like.

The deadbolt starter kit was $248 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NEK6JC/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I found the Trane Thermostats online elsewhere for $120, including shipping.

The thermostat installation (2 zone heat pumps have 7 wires) required complete sobriety and being current on my adhd meds <g>, but once I focused on it, the documentation was really good.  You'll need a tiny screw driver, and good reading glasses.  They give you tiny labels to label each wire as you disconnect the old thermostat, which makes it easy to reconnect to the new one.  There is a jumper on the thermostat board that, in my case, had to be snipped.  I took more meds and read the docs again, then took a deep breath and snipped it.  I was glad I had a spare thermostat, and I really wished the jumper had be removable and replacable.  But it worked.  

I keep the router and bridge in a locked closet renters can not access.  I'm installing a backup power supply for both items.. so power glitches will not interrupt connectivity.

The Schlage service is well worth $99 per year.  Their tech support was great, and the web controls, including those for iphone and ipad, keep getting better (new updates coming this month).  I get a text if connectivity fails.  In several weeks, that has happened once, for 3 minutes at 3 am one morning.  Since my phone is on mute at night, so by the time I saw it it had fixed itself.  The battery backup will eliminate the possibility of a power problem, so if it happens again, it is Verizon's fault.

I will install one camera just to see what it is like, but it is not rated for outdoor use, which is what I need.

All in all, the integrated controls for everything make Schlage the benchmark for this service.  I'm so impressed I'm asking my broker to advise me about buying stock in Ingersoll Rand, the parent company. it is trading around $33... well off it's one year high of $52.

• New Member 17 posts since
    Nov 20, 2011
    Dec 14, 2011 11:42 AM (in response to jasonm)

I had a couple emails about my product, WaterSafe, regarding the fact that our sensors monitor low temperature in homes. So, I thought I'd post here in case more people where wondering.  Our sensors do monitor Low temperature, however, they do not have a way to control temperature, so like the post from eureka.deepholecreek the Schlage Link System is one of the better products on the market for that kind of protection.  Our product is for plumbing and offers water damage protection to your homes, the sensors monitor your plumbing and if a leak is detected shuts the main water supply down within 5 seconds....the only thing our sensors do for temperature is alert you when the temperature drops in your home to 40 degrees, so if you lose power (which they also alert you to) and the temperature in your home starts to drop, you will get early warning of potential freezing pipes.  But, our product is mostly for water damage control. 

Thanks for the inquiries though!

Brandie

brandie.belcher@thewatersafe.com

http://www.thewatersafe.com

• New Member 17 posts since
        Nov 20, 2011
        Dec 14, 2011 5:20 PM (in response to jasonm)

Jason, I'm not sure if I am clear on what your post is asking or your question about how it my product compares from an H2O standpoint. 

Our system uses sensor technology to monitor moisture in a home.  What happens is when a home is unoccupied there is no way for the owner to turn the water off to stop leaks from causing major water damage.  I worked insurance for 16 years and can tell you that water damage claims from unoccupied homes were 2 1/2 times higher and caused more damage than occupied homes.

The system has a shut off valve that gets placed on the main water supply going in to the home, then wireless sensors get placed around major appliances (ice maker, dishwasher, hot water tank, washing machines, etc) along with toilets and sinks. Once a sensor comes in to contact with even the smallest amount of water it shuts the main water line off within 5 seconds...stopping the water damage.  If it is not due to a false alarm then 60 seconds later the owner would get a phone call, text, and/or an email that the valve has been closed and the exact location of the leak.  Our system does have a battery back-up built in to the monitor.  Our system also has guaranteed protection...so if our unit fails to stop the leak...we pay out up to $5000 towards damage or deductible...I don't believe there is any other product on the market today with that kind of guarantee.

However, I think there has been confusion about what my product is...it is for water damage control, even though it does monitor temperature...that is to protect against freezing pipes...not to control temperature.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but I hope that clears it up...

Brandie

brandie.belcher@thewatersafe.com

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)