Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2438 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2011 9:57 AM by travis RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Nov 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 27, 2011 12:26 PM

Concerns about deposit

I found a property in the Dominican Republic through VRBO and the owner has requested the deposit throught Western Union. I am worried about this, and understand I cannot get the rental guarantee if I make the payment this way. Any advice?

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    Dec 2, 2011 10:02 PM (in response to jbpalen)
    Re: Concerns about deposit

I would also be concerned.  There must be other rentals in the Dominican Republic ....I would not rent from that Owner.  I see red flags.  Move on to other rental offers, IMO.

• New Member 4 posts since
    Dec 7, 2011
    Dec 7, 2011 5:13 AM (in response to jbpalen)

Dear all, I was sent an email yesterday from VRBO simply telling me that an inquiry was sent to a property in London and the account of this property was hacked, so the were telling me that they have great concerns that a safe issue regarding this could jeopardy my trip and advise not go on and instead go to the page again and submit again the inquiry.

But this was done 10 days after I made the inquiry. And it was too late because a payment was made already, via bank transfer. In the email VRBO sent me, no reply email was given, no phone number was given, showing they don't care much about the travellers.

I phoned the owner and he confirmed I was a victim. I sent an email, yesterday, to VRBO and they did not reply me. Given how serious is this issue that jeopardy the entire system, I really expect more attention from VRBO to solve this problem.

So, I warn all travellers NOT to trust in the system, while they don't give all the guarantee of safety system.

Meanwhile, Im waiting for a contact of VRBO team.

• travis HomeAway Employee 325 posts since
      May 2, 2011
      Dec 13, 2011 9:57 AM (in response to marcoamdias)

Hi marcoamdias,

I’m so sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation. I’ve looked into your case and see that you have already been in contact with our Trust and Security department. It appears the owner’s email account was compromised, through some form of phishing, not their HomeAway.com or VRBO.com account.

Although you did purchase the HomeAway Carefree Rental Guarantee, at this time it does not protect against phishing. I do see your registration fee was refunded since we were unable to reimburse you for your losses.

I’m sorry that we can’t be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Travis

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points