Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
31948 Views 104 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2012 11:28 PM by marina2012 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • New Member 4 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011

Hi

I have  question for you as it seems you done the vanity url part already.

I am very new to Facebook. I have set up my page  ( my friend helped me) and I have 22 likes so far so Ihope to get to the magic 25 soon.

I do not have a user name in place on my personal profile and I have read that you must have one before you can get the vanity URL.

As there seems to be an issue of changing if you get it wrong the first time I wanted to ask you

do you put something similar to your own name or would you want it to be the same as what you will put for your vanity

my site is

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Casa-Jillian-Loreto-Bay-Mexico/234970976547609

sorry if this is  a dumb question

cheers

Kathy

• New Member 16 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    61. Aug 17, 2011 10:28 PM (in response to casa267)
    Re: What Are You Posting on Your Rental's Facebook Page?

I tried to like as many pages as I could. There are lots of great vacation rentals in this thread!  We'd like to stay at all of them.

If you want to quickly add FB page "Likes", consider an ad on FB.  For just a few dollars, you can get over the 25 fan threshold for the vanity URL.  We set up an ad one night before going to bed and woke up to 40 new fans.  We pay around 0.20 per click and convert about 80% of clicks to Likes.  I have no idea if this is good, but compared to what I paid for Google advertising, it seems like I get more traffic per dollar on FB. I would be interested in others experience (maybe a new thread topic focused on FB/Social media advertising).

Paradise in the Pines

http://facebook.com/PARADISEINTHEPINES

http://paradiseinthepines.com

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010

Paradise, how did you get .20 per click?  That's fantastic!  We marketed in Cincinnati and Nashville and our PPC ran about 45-50 cents.  At the beginning of our campaign, FB suspended our Nashville campaign because our PPC bid was too low to be productive (I think we were bidding 76 cents max for a click).  At the end of our 4 week campaign, we ended up with about 120 Likes at a cost of $100. Our conversion rate from clicks to likes was about 2 clicks for every 1 like.   I'm hoping Jennifer on the social media forum can give me some insight as to how we can do a better job next time and lower that PPC cost.  Congrats on coming out with such a strong performance.  I think you did a great job!

Jun 26, 2011
    63. Aug 18, 2011 7:19 PM (in response to amyg)

Hi Amy,

I just started a new ad last night.  So far, I have spent $5.37 and have 17 new Likes.  I am averaging 0.24 CPC and had 22 clicks total.  I set a $3 a day budget so I don't run up a big bill.  The CPC will drop as I get more days worth of data. My bid is 0.46 per click.  I tried to attach a screen shot but there was an error.  May we start a thread for ad stats because I am interested in finding out what a good benchmark is.

My previous ad cost me $23 for 72 likes and about 100 clicks.

I have been running different versions of the same basic ad with different pictures and different landing pages to see what the most effective combo is.

I also have run a FB ad but sent the user to my Vacation Rentals ad (external link). This ad had worse stats.  The CPC was 0.60 and the CTR was very low.  I had a $50 FB ad credit from somewhere so it was free money and I wanted to see how it worked.  I wont spend my own money this way unless I figure out what I did wrong.  In the end, I didnt get any new VR inquiries - it seems running a deal works better to increase inquiries for VR.

Lastly. I had a $100 Google credit and ran a ad on Google directing them to our cabin website which has the VRBO calendar integrated.  We burned through that pretty quickly. We paid $107 for 197 clicks (0.55 CPC) and maybe got 2 phone calls with little chance we can interact with them in the future.

That is about what I know.

Paradise in the Pines

www.facebook.com/PARADISEINTHEPINES

www.paradiseinthepines.com

Jun 26, 2011
    64. Aug 18, 2011 7:24 PM (in response to amyg)

Amy, another question for you is what is your target audience size? That affects your bid. My last few ads have targetted between 64K and 153K people.  We run specific targetted audiences.

• tansy Active Contributor 395 posts since
    Feb 15, 2011

tried to look you up & this is what facebook told me...gold creek

Sorry, this post contains a blocked URL

The content you're trying to share includes a link that's been blocked for being spammy or unsafe:

faceook.com

For more information, visit the Help Center. If you think you're seeing this by mistake, please let us know.

I have 2 facebook pages so would be delighted if you 'LIKE' please

https://www.facebook.com/Utahbeach

https://www.facebook.com/fermedeleglise

• tansy Active Contributor 395 posts since
    Feb 15, 2011

I've liked you as - do like you page very much & very inviting - well done. I've so much work to do this winter - I'm starting to get stressed thinking about it...not just new stair cases kitchen etc but websites and facebook pages!!!

https://www.facebook.com/Utahbeach

https://www.facebook.com/fermedeleglise

• Contributor 21 posts since
    Oct 28, 2011

Here are some of the things we are putting on Facebook as "tabs' (I linked to the tabs too)

Property Search and Booking Engine to try to drive revenue.

Map and Directions to help people find you

Email Newsletter Signup to collect email addresses

Listings Tab ... a place to just list lots of stuff, like your homes.

My Favorite: A sticker giveaway... great way to add fans and collect email addresses... those little euro stickers are cheap and popular.

Hope some of these are good examples for you.

• Contributor 21 posts since
    Oct 28, 2011
    68. Nov 16, 2011 9:50 PM (in response to amyg)

Hi Amy,

even 50 cents a fan may be good!  We are seeing that many of the ads are priced differently in different markets, depending how much competition there is in that market.  We had some luck trying to target different groups and found some groups were less than others.  .20 cents a click is pretty remarkable!

• marteenimama Contributor 24 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011

Over the weekend I read Jenn's five social media articles here on the Community page and learned a lot.  The first thing that I would point out is her suggestion of using PageModo to customize a landing page for your FB fan page.  I spent yesterday afternoon doing this and was able to select my favorite photos and add a little blurb for FREE.

www.facebook.com/ranchomiragevacationrental

I currently have two FB ads running and hope that having this as the landing page will increase the number of folks who "like" my page and check out my house!

I also created a new album with lots of photos of my property.  And I have put my Constant Contact newsletter up, promoting specials, also have a button to join my list, which is my contact management system on Constant Contact. 

Recently I put up a little blurb about our local wild animal park featuring their Baby Giraffe Naming Contest and their holiday events, offering a $50 discount for those guests who become new members of the park and check into my house.  

I can't say that I think these things are driving a lot of business, but these are all experiments to make my page more engaging.  If anyone has other thoughts or feedback, let me know!

• loscuatrotulipanes Community All-Star 232 posts since
    Oct 7, 2011

Great (and extensive) post! On this same topic, I would encourage owners to try using ASmallWorld.net. It's an invite-only version of Facebook (a little more glamorous) that features travel forums. Posting a little ad for your vacation rental (it's free) here is pretty effective because the userbase is extremely trusting of one another. Even more effective is getting one of the ASW experts to include your rental in their area destination guides. For our rentals, being listed in the Panama guide, we get about 3 reservations a month. Not bad for a free networking service!

Matt shares his statistical evidence on the Vacation Rental Marketing Blog 2011-2012: free and inexpensive ways vacation rental owners can increase occupancy and profits.

PS. I have about 10 invites left and am happy to give them away. First come first serve.

• cynthia.dewick New Member 9 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011

Hi Loscuatrotulipanes,

I'd love one of those invites.  Sounds interesting!

Thanks,

Cynthia

SlipAway@Comcast.net

• Hola Loscuatrotulipanes,  I, too, would like one of the invites if still available.

Gracias,

Judith

turtlecovecottage@hotmail.com

• amyg Active Contributor 323 posts since
    Dec 10, 2010

Paradise, that could be it.  I was targeting Nashville and Cincinnati as a more general population from mid-20s and up.  Next time I'll narrow the range and maybe the PPC will be more reasonable.  Thanks!

• New Member 3 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011

Hello Everyone!!!

I'm new to community thing.... I'm not even sure I've posted my facebook page correctly.  Don't really know what else to write. Can anyone give me any ideas??? my website is www.stayloutraki.com. From there you can "like" my site.  I will "like" everyone on this page so far and continue to do so now that I'm on Homeaway Community.

Thanks,

Fotini

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points