Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
69249 Views 146 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2014 7:44 PM by stonedrifts@gmail.com RSS 1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next
New Member 1 posts since
Oct 8, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 8, 2011 11:46 AM

Scam from the Ukraine?

We recently received an inquiry through HomeAway. It was from Kiev, the Ukraine. They claimed they have to pay by check. Then they claimed a mistake was made and we were issued both our payment and the one for their travel agent. We were asked to send the extra money back.

Sounds like a classic scam. Has anyone else received similar inquiries? Is there a forum for reporting scams like these?

• New Member 25 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    1. Oct 20, 2011 12:05 PM (in response to tyro1)
    Re: Scam from the Ukraine?

It does sound like a variation of the classic "I sent more than you asked for, just send me the difference" scam.  Have you actually received any money or check or anything?

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
    Aug 9, 2011
    2. Oct 20, 2011 2:52 PM (in response to tyro1)

I would not waste time with this.  Whatever check they did send you is "fake" anyway.  Tear it up.  Stop replying to them. They are scammers out to rob you.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Oct 30, 2011
    3. Dec 7, 2011 4:25 PM (in response to tyro1)

We received an inquiry from someone in Ukraine as well. After several emails back & forth they want to book for Dec. & send a U.S. check. I've asked them to call me directly but so far no response. It sounds like a scam & I have a bad feeling about it.

• New Member 3 posts since
    Nov 2, 2011
    4. Dec 7, 2011 4:26 PM (in response to tyro1)

I just got one yesterday from Kiev, same verbage

Aug 9, 2011
    5. Nov 2, 2011 4:33 PM (in response to livinloud)

These people are the lowest forms of life,  IMO.  Don't waste your time on "helping" them rip you off.

Nov 2, 2011
    6. Nov 2, 2011 10:37 PM (in response to tyro1)

This is a DEFINITE scam -  same exact message sent to us.  I have simply reiterated our payment policy and I don't expect to hear from them again. 

Nov 2, 2011
    7. Nov 3, 2011 7:09 AM (in response to atannex)

I'm going to report them to the authorities.  Don't know what they can do, but who knows...

Nov 7, 2011
    8. Nov 7, 2011 11:34 PM (in response to tyro1)

I have received numerous scams that are similar. Generally they want to rent for 2 weeks or more. Often it is an alleged group of doctors, ministers, researchers or group of people on their honeymoon. They all want to know the same consistent set of checklist information about me. They usually want to write a check for a greater amount than the rental and have me forward a portion to someone else for a rental car or some other thing.  The first time I received one I researched the persons name and found the scam is to send you a fake check, have you forward part of it to a 3rd party immediately after you deposit their fake check. You are out whatever you send to the 3rd party because the check was fake and hadn't cleared the bank. Before sending back any money or paying for anything on behalf of anyone, contact your bank and confirm the check has cleared, in writing.

Nov 16, 2011
    9. Dec 7, 2011 4:27 PM (in response to tyro1)

This is what I got. Wow. thank goodness for this forum.

Hello

Thanks for the updated information.

We are okay with the accommodation and cost  .I would also

like to confirm  the reservation on the following information:

-

XXXX

Also , due to the unsecured use of credit card online or on the phone, I

have arrange for payment inform of a cashier's check

Please do forward me the following details for payment

FULL NAME

BILLING ADDRESS

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards

XXXX

Nov 16, 2011
    10. Dec 7, 2011 4:28 PM (in response to tyro1)

Has anybody received an inquiry from XXX or XXX?  Jason is most aggessive - asking to rent all of February - didn't ask price, but requested that I send all my contact information so he could send payment.  After asking what his purpose for visiting was - he responded - "official business" .... red flag - I called the number he listed - fax machine or leave a message ... I asked him to call me or to email me a number where he can be reached and no response yet.  what do you think?

Aug 9, 2011
    11. Nov 16, 2011 12:58 PM (in response to almanor)

Ignore this and all such types of inquiries.  Just do not bother responding to anything like this....{I am sorry for the good citizens of Ukraine whose reputations are soiled by the low life in their country}.  Just *delete* the inquiry because while you are responding, they are collecting information about you.  Why help them?

Nov 16, 2011
    12. Nov 16, 2011 1:24 PM (in response to almanor)

Sounds questionable.

Nov 18, 2011
    13. Dec 7, 2011 4:29 PM (in response to tyro1)

I also received a very similar request from an individual in Kiev, Ukraine.  I became suspicious when they e-mailed the following:

Good afternoon
    I am sorry for all the delay in payment .
    There was a mix up in the payment sent to you ,I was suppose to receive two separate payment one for you and the other for my traveling agent But all payments was issued in your name and sent .
    I tried to correct this but it was in vain as i was ask to resolve the problem myself. It would have to go through a very long process to change this error . Please I don't know what to do.
    I have been advised me to contact you since these checks where issued in your name , so you should be able to clear them into your account. As soon as you have the checks cleared to your account you are to deduct your rent and remit the balance to my travel agent Please do let me know how you can help on this issue .
    Thanks.
    I received the check today in an amount more than double the rent.  Took it to the bank where they confirmed the check was a fraud drawn from a valid US credit union in Pasadena CA.
    I second the response from above.  Disregard these requests from Ukraine.
    Nov 2, 2011
    14. Nov 18, 2011 4:19 PM (in response to heater)

This is the exact wording of the one i got, just different names.  I wonder if the people are even from overseas.  I have a suspension that they are actually American, but the scheme wouldn't work as well.

I called them on the scheme as soon as I received the email like yours below and never received a check.  My first thought was they were trying to launder money.

1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points