Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
4167 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2011 5:44 PM by info@stayattremblant.com RSS
info@stayattremblant.com Active Contributor 543 posts since
Aug 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 2, 2011 12:02 PM

Why are there advertisments at the top of my listing?

Today after I updated my listing I went to preview my properties as a guest would see them and, to my shock:

--> there were advertisments at the top of my listing <--

-- There was an ad for weight watchers

-- There was an ad for BMO Mastercard

-- There was an ad for Ramada Inn (for a competitor!)

-- The ad rotates with every page load, some even have distracting animations

To make matters worse, the ads appear "above the fold".  For those of you who know what I mean, you will understand my concern.  For those of you who do not recognize the term, it refers to the area of a web site that can be seen on a viewer's web browser without scrolling.  This is the very most valuable space on any web site -- and it is being taken up by advertising that I did not approve.

How can I know that the ads shown on my listing are in alignment with my moral compass and my business compass? I have no control over these ads that might be offensive to my potential guests and that directly reflect on me since they are represented on my listing.

If HomeAway is using my listing to display advertising, then I expect to be compensated on a per-view / per-click basis for any advertising traffic that is generated on the ad that I spent my time to author.  The ads are distracting from my listing and, as mentioned above, are stealing the very most valuable space on the page.

Have other owners noticed this?

Are there like-minded concerns out there?

What can we do about this?

I am shocked, befuddled, annoyed and motivated to get this to stop.  Any ideas?

Peter.

Attachments:
  • travis HomeAway Employee 325 posts since
    May 2, 2011

Hi Peter,

I’m sorry to hear you feel this way. Each page on HomeAway.com is made  up of a template with a header and footer. The space you’ve purchased  for your listing is in the middle of this template.

Your listing fees help pay for a robust marketing budget so that we can  rank among the top search results on Google and Yahoo! for “vacation  rentals” and similar terms. The advertising on the site helps us fund  vital search engine optimization and marketing efforts that bring even  more traffic to the site and your listing.

I hope this information is of some use.

Best regards,

Travis

• New Member 2 posts since
      Sep 6, 2011
      Currently Being Moderated
      Sep 6, 2011 8:23 PM (in response to travis)
      Why are there advertisments at the top of my listing?

I completely agree.  The fees for listing with VRBO are much higher than vacationrentals.com, but I feel I must list both places.  But even after paying such a high fee, the ads are innapropriate. This should be an ad-free site.  Please reconsider this policy.  And what type of ads will appear?  NRA ads?  Political ads?  How about bogus diet programs and drugs?  How does this reflect upon VRBO and its listings?  The only reason I can see for the owners to add in this advertising is for them to get more money for themselves.  I'll stay for the year I've signed up, but after that I'm out of here. 

• susaninrehoboth Active Contributor 886 posts since
    Sep 3, 2011

I own a condo in an east coast beach resort town. When I clicked on my listing via puvlic access, there was an ad "above the fold" for a competing town about 150 miles away. The first 2 stesp in getting a rental is to have a prospective tenant look for rentalsin the town where my condo is located & then click on my listing. So, having accomplished this, the first thing a person viewing my listing sees is an ad for a competing town? Get real! I emailed VRBO with my concerns regarding this practice. No response. I'm paying $500 per year for my listing. I don't want VRBO being paid by other advertisers competing with me when someone views my listing.

I understand this practice may reduce the cost of having a listing on VRBO so I would only object a little if it were for a product/service that is not a competitor, such as for a keyless entry system, insurance, etc. But truly, I shouldn't have to compete with VRBO. This rates right up there with VRBO suggeting other rentals when someone clicks on my listing. Bad business practice but SOP for the "new" VRBO.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)