Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
1936 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2011 4:28 PM by carolj RSS
New Member 2 posts since
Nov 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 12, 2011 10:35 AM

How to get your security deposit back

I rented a home in Texas for a wedding party over Labor Day weekend 9/2/11-9/5/11.  The home was left in the condition it was found in per the contract.  All instructions were followed and per the contract I was to receive my security deposit of $400 back within 15 days of departure.  It is now the middle of November and I still have not received it.  When I call you have to leave a message, no one ever answers the phone.(office or cell)  I have left 5 messages and sent 5 emails.  I finally received an email asking for the credit card # attached to my account so they could send the deposit.  I never gave a credit card and paid everything by check.  I do not feel comfortable handing out a credit card #.  I have send 2 emails with my address requesting they submit a check and have heard nothing again.  What should be my next step?

• travis HomeAway Employee 325 posts since
    May 2, 2011
    Nov 14, 2011 11:45 AM (in response to carolj)
    Re: How to get your security deposit back

Hi carolj,

I’m sorry to hear about the difficulty you are having contacting the owner. Please let our Customer Support know and we will attempt to contact the owner for you.

You may also want to check your spam and junk mail folders to make sure any emails from the owner did not end up there. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Travis

• msdebj Senior Contributor 1,350 posts since
    May 25, 2011
    Nov 14, 2011 12:24 PM (in response to carolj)
    Re: How to get your security deposit back

Carol,

I suggest you send a certifed letter, with a return receipt request, detailing your situation to the owner. (I'd include a copy of your canceled checks and a copy of your rental agreement as well).

Did you deal with a management company?  If you are, the Owner needs to be made aware of this matter.

Most Owners who manage their own homes are, in my experience, MUCH more professional than what you are dealing with. 

I'd love to know how this works out. 

DebJ    

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points