Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
6910 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2012 12:37 PM by msmith109 RSS
shannon.martin Contributor 221 posts since
Feb 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 7, 2011 11:11 AM

Have you seen any increases in your business as a result of a FaceBook page?

More and more businesses are creating FaceBook pages as a marketing effort - is this leading to an increase in business, or just another type of web brochure with no call to action?

• New Member 1 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011
  • New Member 1 posts since
    Nov 9, 2011

I just created a page for one of our homes. I haven't noticed more inquiries yet and, honestly, don't really expect to. But I figured it'd be a nice way for our past renters to keep in touch, at least.

• New Member 2 posts since
    Nov 15, 2011

We created two pages in 2010 and have seen 2 bookings as a direct result of Facebook.  This was after we hired a professional to manage on the pages to gage their ability on procuring bookings.  It was an expensive lesson learned.  I think it is good for your loyal customers to be kept current on local events and specials but have not been impressed so far.

• New Member 3 posts since
    Nov 15, 2011

I think, facebook page is more for image of the brand it self , I havent find good result for having the fan page or groups. all of them are the people that insterest with related business it self or just annonymous people like or add to page or groups.

But it is really good for seo, it doesnt really generate leads but crawling the links.

I havent got any booking goal from facebook page.

Now, im going through Google+ and the page, its good but still finding out the strategy to get them.

now its more popular google + for businesses I guess.

what do you guys think?

Salam

Wina

• New Member 9 posts since
    Apr 1, 2011

So the interesting thing about Facebook and other forms of social marketing is that it can be VERY effective if done correctly.  Now, the response you get is all relative.  It's really a numbers game - the more Likes you have the more interactivity you get - obviously. 

But, not just anyone can get 10,000 Likes.  You have to have a brand and a product of interest that is capable of amassing an audience of that size. 

I've created, built and managed a few pages that have gotten up there in Likes (facebook.com/pcbdaily (14k+) and facebook.com/shoppierpark (24k+)), one for my project (pcbdaily) and the other as a consultant.  But, both of them had large audiences already and tens of thousands that knew who they were already. 

With all that said, our company's facebook page is measly compared to the others I've worked on.  But we've not done any marketing push to get it to where it is (241 Likes).  Frankly I'm burnt out from doing social media marketing in the past. 

What we are doing, though, is including our Facebook url on all our marketing collateral, every email that goes to our guest, all followup emails, etc. - which has resulting in the trickle increase we've seen since last summer. 

For small companies, this is what you should be doing several times a week:

• Post pictures of your area
    • Post links to events and news related to your area (keep it positive and relavant)
    • Post pictures of your properties
    • Ask questions (don't worry about whether they're being answered yet)

One thing that I do quite a lot of, though, that nets pretty good results (especially since I'm just spending time on it, and no money) is:

• Use Facebook as a Page
    • Find other pages in your area that have a ton more likes than you (for us, facebook.com/visitpanamacitybeach)
    • Comment regularly on that page
    • Comment regularly on other pages with a good following
    • Create offers (like half off on 'this' condo for next weekend, call me now) and post them on these pages.

If you need ideas, let me know.  This is what I used to do for a living.

• lizatelluride New Member 5 posts since
    Jan 24, 2012

Our company has been facebooking, twittering, and exploring all kinds of online & mobile innovations for the past few years. Some have died on the vine (i.e. Yelp), but FB seems to be sticking around. We get as many bookings directly from our FB page as from prior guest referrals (about 2% of bookings in the last 3 months), but we also have many repeat guests (10-22% of our traffic) who follow the FB posts as their portal into our community. We've seen that when ski conditions are truly great (not just what the marketing department says), we get more action; we attribute that to having VERY current video and photo posts.

We also use FB ads, as they can be very tightly targeted and reach beyond our followers. And they're pretty darn cheap.

Our in-house social media guru spends about 20% of his time keeping up with things each day. We see FB as part of the mix, not just a direct-lead generator. It helps "flesh out" our presence, make it more tenable.

If you set up a page and just let it sit there, it will get about as much traffic as stapling up a poster on a telephone pole.

• New Member 7 posts since
    Mar 19, 2012

I think that crealting a facebook page is very very powerful for your business because it allows you to use your friends to actually advertise to their friends by simply clicking your "like" button. all you have to do is get them to click it

http://www.rentalcommand.com/

• New Member 8 posts since
    Mar 27, 2012

Facebook is the number three website in the world, with nearly 150m visitors every month. With that kind of reach, how can you NOT have a presence there?

I agree with the others that it needs to be tended regularly if it is to be successful. That goes for all the other social media websites as well. It's like planting grass... you can't just throw down some seed and expect to have a plush, green lawn a few days later. It takes time and a lot of effort.

What I recommend to my clients is to look at where your target audience is (and with most rental property, a lot of your market is already on FB), and second to just focus on a few websites to get them going. Don't create a dozen different social media accounts right away. It will do more harm than good because it will be distracting. If you can't do all of them well, you won't do any of them well, know what I mean?

Matt

http://vrhelper.com

• New Member 4 posts since
      Mar 29, 2012

Facebook is truly representative of you get out what you put in. Our home has a Facebook page that is linked to our website. We get many likes through the website from people that want to follow us on Facebook. The mix of likes on the FB page is about 50/50 prospects/past guests. Here are our hints for maintaining a FB page:

Make it interesting. We take advantage of the panorama picture on the timeline page and change it out once a week.

Make it timely: We post links to local articles about things to do in the neighborhood. And don't limit this either. We've posted links to a food truck festival, a new bike path, improvements to the freeway exit, a new store downtown, etc. We try to appeal to our prospects' interests.

Keep your expectations low. You're not Ellen, and you're not going to get millions of likes.

Run a FB ad. We spent $75 one week, got 40 likes and one booking. (Worth it? We think so.)

Bert

• New Member 8 posts since
        Apr 13, 2012

Hi Everyone,

I hope I can shed some light on Social Media and how it can work for you. My husband and I run a mid-size Social Media agency with about 50 employees. We were one of the pioneers in the field back in 2003 before Facebook even existed. As a firm we evolved from a Public Relations Agency, so we have many case histories to share.

Back on-topic Facebook is not the best form of Social Media to work with since it is a "closed garden" to the rest of the Internet. Let's go back in time and look at the Internet progression.

Not that long ago "the experts" in the field would recommend that you have a web page up so that people could find you - but as many people learned it's not good enough to just have a web page - you need to invite people to the "party," as well. So evolved the world of SEO, keywords etc. When Facebook landed on the scene it was falsely presumed that an active Facebook page would generate activity and drive traffic to outside links, but unfortunately Facebook does not allow the bots from Google to worm their way through it's site.

Unless you really know what you're doing, and have 3 to 5000 friends on Facebook your posts will go largely unnoticed. That's because of the "closed garden policy."

Twitter however is another story. Twitter results show up and affect the results on Google searches. No expertise required, it happens on it's own. One way you can get your ranking higher on Twitter is to use your Twitter handle to post comments using your Twitter Name. Some years ago I experimented with this method. I have a very entertaining little dog called SnickersYap. I try to make my posts read as if they were being posted from a dogs' perspective. I engaged with as many other "dogs" on Twitter as possible. I also used the name SnickersYap as a handle on other sites such as New York Times, Wall Street Journal etc, and posted comments on any relevant story using his handle.

As an example, last week WSJ just ran a puff piece on vacation swaps - so I'm going to go to the on-line version of that story and post a comment using my VRBO handle. That creates highly ranked links back to my site. A word of warning though - don't copy and post the same comments on multiple sites as Google will penalize you for doing so. The posts have to be organic.

As to the time element of actually doing this - it is extremely time consuming. We in fact have members of our staff who post for companies on their behalf, and actually grow the follower base as well. It's not unusual for companies to have in-house social media staff. If you're on your own, then you really have to limit yourself to the social media outlets which will generate the best mix of results.

Maxine

• New Member 14 posts since
    Jun 22, 2012

Rentini just posted that they're trading LIKES on Facebook: http://blog.rentini.com/2012/06/28/friends-with-benefits-rentini-wants-to-like-your-vacation-rental/ could be helpful for some of us!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points