Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
48932 Views 126 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2013 2:11 AM by swlinphx RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Previous Next
  • New Member 18 posts since
    Oct 16, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Oct 24, 2011 10:57 AM (in response to skiandglee)
    Re: Keyless entry experience?

Who needs to worry about entering  a code on your lock,,,I have a resort lock on a display,, They come standard with a schlage key,, which is great for criminals since its not bump key proof, i bet i can bump your lock open quicker than you can enter 1 digit on your lock..The code locks i sell come with a bump proof cylinder,, another question do you have latch strike protectors on your door? If not then you can simply credit card the door open? Sales guy metnion that when you bought the lock? 

• skiandglee Active Contributor 509 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    46. Oct 24, 2011 11:10 AM (in response to locksmithmyrtlebeach)

Hey Locksmithmyrtlebeach,

Your posts about resortlock seem overly biased so that you can sell what you wish from your own profit standpoint.  If that is not the case, sorry, that's how it comes across.

Now, to address your points.

1) You can bump my lock?  Great!  You can also break my window!  You can kick my door down too.  Everyone knows locks keep out honest people only.  I have a cellular based alarm in both my properties so once you do bump my lock or gain entry any other way, the alarm will sound and you will undoubtedly leave before the police arrive.  p.s. please don't tell me you will cut the phone lines or power as the alarm is battery backed up and uses a cell interface so I don't need either power or wifi or phone lines...

2) Latch strike protectors?  No, not that I know of but NO, you can not use a credit card as if you install ANY lock correctly, there is a small pin that prevents the latch from being pushed in by a credit card.  If you install the lock incorrectly and the pin drops into the latch opening then sure, you can use a credit card.

I have nothing to gain by recommending the ResortLock other than the satisfaction of passing on my own experiences to others. 

Rick

www.vacationrentalhelper.com

Oct 16, 2011
    47. Oct 24, 2011 11:29 AM (in response to sttt)

For anyone interested in a Code style lock similar to the resort lock,oracode,erental lock,, but with 2 year warranty, better door prep, covers door knob and deadbolt holes, weatherproof, security keyway that cant be picked open or opend with a bump key, also comes with a latch protector so credit cards cant open the door. Uses codes, Ibuttons, or codes with Ibuttons,, Works off of the internet or software, and no monthly fee, for less than the resort lock, feel free to let me know i can email you literiture on it. I add extra items such as the security keyway and latch protectors at no extra cost.

Im not a salesman, i actually work in the field as a locksmith and see how owners get taken advantage of,,, If you have questions feel free to pick my brain, im not here for sales but to help owners find a solution to fit their needs. Since everyones property is different they all need different things. Let me know if i can help..

Tony

www.myrtlebeachlocksmith.com

lhlockcompany@aol.com

Oct 16, 2011
    48. Oct 24, 2011 12:41 PM (in response to skiandglee)

i dont have a motive in generating sales from one product to another, I sell all them, i can only go off of experience in what a company offers for the money. I have nothing against the resort lock its a decent lock, but it does have its disadvantages, and i think some are often mislead by what it is. Im just showing the facts

The problem with the bump key is it is a means of extremly easy access, why spend 400 on a lock if a bump key can open it? Locks are for honest people however if you spend that kind of money, the lock should do more than just be for honest people, Id rather buy something that will discourage a burglar from my unit to go to yours.. As far as the latch protector, you can say you installed the lock correctly and rely on the latch deadlatch pin, but i sure wouldnt. Remember most people live hours away from their property, Id rather install a plate that takes 2 mintues to install then to rely on a 1/8 inch pin to keep the door locked. Another thing to consider is the fact most people dont install doors correctly either, leaving a large cap between the door and frame which also means your lovely deatlatch pin is again pointless and a very low means of security. It is something i add into my locks if someone doesnt want to install it, thats their choice, better than nothing at all.

So you have an alarm thats great, but you also rent the unit out i would imagine since you spent the money on a 400 lock, so that means you give out the alarm code to eveyone that rents the unit, not a problem really, where i am owners are having huge problems with theft, and with people returning to the unit to stay for free. Since a lot of owners still use a traditional key then its easy for someone to return when they want. If you think someone cant bump your door open walk inside and walk off with that nice flat screen tv before the alarm company calls you let alone the police your sadly mistaken,  In the end your left with your feelings hurt, no tv or whatever was taken.

Apr 27, 2011
    49. Oct 24, 2011 12:57 PM (in response to locksmithmyrtlebeach)

Honestly, I spent the money on the lock for it's ability to generate codes for free on the web without software so I could use my iPhone, iPad or any computer, not for its ability to keep a burglar out.  After all, any house with a window means the lock is worthless.  Ever think of locking a jeep with a soft top?

I don't give the alarm code to any renters, I arm/disarm the alarm from my iPhone, iPad or any computer as well so I'm not worried about them coming back to stay for free.

Rick

Oct 16, 2011
    50. Oct 24, 2011 2:48 PM (in response to skiandglee)

Its a shame you spent $400 on a lock that you dont care if its secure, to just make codes but to each there own.  For you to say someone will just kick the door in seems odd to me,  because you have an alarm on your condo that you turn off before your guests arrive tells me you would want a lock that is secure, and that what im saying is probably something you should look into. Why have a just ok lock, and a alarm on a place if your not worried about break-ins, seems like a waste.

That gollie wilber theyll just kick the door in thinking is just nonsense. I mean really...That sounds like someone that isnt in my field of work..Im in the business of helping people secure there propety and valuables. you kick my door, your proly gonna break your foot. Windows can be easily secured with hurricane film, much like window tint, plus it helps keep the heating and cooling cost down, and is very inexpensive.

Maybe i struck a nerve with you on a simple solution to a lock like adding a security key and a latch protector plate that cost what $30.00 Or was it my lock is still cheaper with those additions added?  Money wellll spent if you ask me.. Way cheaper than your monthly alarm monitoring fee that isnt even used for your guest protection

Apr 27, 2011
    51. Oct 24, 2011 2:59 PM (in response to locksmithmyrtlebeach)

Dude, give it a rest!  You are right, the locks you sell are awesome and ResortLock is easly broken into by everyone on the street.  I'm happy with my setup, just tried to relay a good review of ResortLock that came from my experiences.  I know that hurricane film wouldn't stop a child from breaking into a house through a window and walking right out the front door through your $30 worth of latch protectors and bump proof lock cylinders but I hope you make all the money in the world from locks sales!

Done.

Rick

Oct 16, 2011
    52. Oct 24, 2011 4:00 PM (in response to skiandglee)

Thats fine i saw your review and its just wonderful, and im sure it works for you. I sell them i have no real beef with them. Like i said before its a decent lock and works good for some people. I simply stated 2 small security risks with the lock (which are my experiences, and not the only issues i have with the lock) and mentioned how to make the lock better and more secure. The fact of the matter is, they need some help to make them better. I mean why do people have a deadbolt on the door,,maybe because latches in general are easy to open? hmmm Im sure that theyll be a ton of people that add those two items to the resort lock, or atleast find that small bit of information very helpful.

The fact that i sell a competitive lock is irrelivant, did i ever mention the brand? No i didnt. Im not promoting, more letting people know that there are other locks on the market.  I sell the same key and latch protector for the resort lock, its called added Security. 

Last im not sure what cheap hurricane film youve used, probably none at all, because u cant break through it, thats why its called hurricane film. Yes the window breaks, but it keeps the glass it intact. Unless your neighborhood kid is casper he isnt getting in. You mentioned the ol theyll just kick the door in, so i fugured you needed a solution for that 8-)

• Contributor 42 posts since
    Nov 3, 2011

Admitedly I am trying a short cut by persuing the discussions or find the technical language still leaves me questions. So my questions for most of you will be very pedestrian but here goes:1. The wireless connection in the unit(s) require a password and what problems does not involve with keyless entry? 2. When the wireless has become unoperable and requires some one in the unit, what happens? 3. Is there a keyless system with a key access as a back-up( know there is from looking aimlessly through the ads) but how is the key safeguarded?How expensive is it to remove the agent's credit card system and install a new keyless system?Am doing homework in an effort to come to a conclusion of renting units personally or continue with agent and no net income. Thinking about renting a small unit for the summer months and making trips in the fall and spring and actually it is still an unknown. Home is about five hours away and units are south of Myrtle Beach , SC.

• mike Contributor 90 posts since
    Dec 29, 2010
    54. Nov 4, 2011 9:46 AM (in response to piavian_43)

piavian_43,

We use the Orocode Lock in CO in about 40+ properties. The Orocode was designed more for a PM platform but will also work for individual owners. We have had literally 2 issues with the Orocode locks in 3 years! Mechanicaly it appears to be far superior to the others, you get what you pay for.

Mike Cusihng 

www.BookbyOwner.com

Nov 3, 2011
    55. Nov 4, 2011 9:51 AM (in response to mike)

Thanks for your assistance. While price is always an issue, satisfaction with the product is first.. especially when home is a several hours away. I will look into that  brand

William W. Jones, Esq.

8858 Cedar Springs Lane, Suite 7000

Knoxville, TN   37923

Tel:  865-539-0474

Fax:  865-523-8933

wwj430@msn.com

Note:  This e-mail may contain PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL information and

is intended only for the use of the specific individual(s) to whom it is

addressed.  Your receipt of this e-mail is not intended to waive any

applicable privilege.  If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail,

you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying

of this e-mail or the information contained in it or attached to it is

strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please

delete it and immediately notify the person named above by telephone.

TO ENSURE COMPLIANCE WITH REQUIREMENTS IMPOSED BY THE IRS, WE MUST INFORM

YOU THAT, UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INDICATED OTHERWISE, THIS MESSAGE (INCLUDING

ANY ATTACHMENTS) WAS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED, AND CANNOT BE USED,

BY THE ADDRESSEE OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR THE PURPOSE OF (A) AVOIDING U.S.

TAX-RELATED PENALTIES OR (B) PROMOTING, MARKETING OR RECOMMENDING TO ANOTHER

PARTY ANY TAX-RELATED MATTER ADDRESSED HEREIN.

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 09:46:48 -0500

To: wwj430@msn.com

Subject: Re: Keyless entry experience? - Re: Keyless entry experience?

Seek Advice. Get Answers. Optimize your Vacation Rental Business.

created by mike in Checking In and Out - View the full discussion

piavian_43, We use the Orocode Lock in CO in about 40+ properties. The Orocode was designed more for a PM platform but will also work for individual owners. We have had literally 2 issues with the Orocode locks in 3 years! Mechanicaly it appears to be far superior to the others, you get what you pay for. Mike Cusihng  www.BookbyOwner.com

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

Start a new discussion in Checking In and Out by email or at Community

© 2010 HomeAway.com Inc. 1011 W. Fifth Street, Suite 300, Austin, TX 78703

Please add us to your address book to ensure you continue receiving HomeAway emails.

View our Privacy Statement | Contact Us  | Terms & Conditions

• sttt New Member 15 posts since
    Oct 17, 2011
    56. Nov 4, 2011 10:01 AM (in response to piavian_43)

Check your messages

• sttt New Member 15 posts since
    Oct 17, 2011
    57. Nov 4, 2011 10:04 AM (in response to piavian_43)

I'll try to explain best I can.   I can only speak about the Resort Lock, I like that they don't charge me a monthly fee to access codes.  I will also add that the technical support has been exceptional.  I have two of them and manage 2 condos in the Virgin Islands from Virginia.  I couldn't do it without the locks.

There is no need to have a wireless connection at your 2nd home.  The lock has a coded computer chip in it along with a memory battery and 4 AA batteries to run the mechanics.

The chip has mathematical logarithms embedded into it that convert a series of numbers into dates and times.  The chip gets programmed to date and time zone.  Resort Lock's computer maintains the serial number of your lock/chip.  When you have a guest you log-in to Resort Lock and plug in the dates and times of your guests stay.  Their computer spits out a 9-12 digit number that you give to your guests with instructions.  The guests show up and plug in the code - the chip does the needed math to convert it back to dates and times and viola the lock opens.  At the end of the stay the lock knows when to stop accepting the code.  The system is exactly the same as they use in motels with magnetic cards that carry the number.  Most people think the motel key cards and locks communicate - they don't.  The gizmo at the front desk tracks each locks serial number and they code the magnetic card with a number that will communicate with the lock.

The Resort Lock instructions also tell the guest how to override the code to something that is easy for them to remember.  The original code will still work and any associated codes will expire at the original check out time.

I've been told it's not rocket science and a respectable mathematician could break the code but as an earlier poster mentioned it's a lot easier to just break a window if you want to rob the house.

I opted for the software and I-button system from ResortLock.  I issued I-buttons to the property manager and housekeeper.  The I-button is a key fob with a hard coded invisible to the user set of numbers.  You can program the lock to allow access to the button user on specific days or times.  You can also use the programmers I-button to "survey" the lock retrieving the codes along with dates and times of the last 1000 people or so who used the lock.  I've never surveyed my lock but I like having the capabilities should something go wrong.

The system has not been 100% without problems - check out my post.  I have a MasterLock key safe on the door with a back up key and I urge my guests to keep my phone number handy should they have problems.  I've only had to give out the key safe combo a couple times and I change the safe combo during my next visit.

The property manager also has a key which is secured separately from the key box the secretary uses with the grounds staff.  One shortcoming is that the memory records only electronic entries, it doesn't record a key entry.  One of the locksmiths complained in the post about the quality of the key cylinder and I agree.  For about 30 bucks I replaced the standard key/cylinder with a Schlage high security cylinder.  Only locksmiths have access to the blanks so you can't take the key to your local Lowe's for a copy.

Nov 3, 2011
    58. Nov 4, 2011 11:22 AM (in response to sttt)

Thanks... your response answered my questions succintly and how very much I appreciate your going to the effort. While your situation is not exactly the same it is in fact similar. All of this is moving us toward making a decision to use the agent or not. Again thanks

William W. Jones, Esq.

8858 Cedar Springs Lane, Suite 7000

Knoxville, TN   37923

Tel:  865-539-0474

Fax:  865-523-8933

wwj430@msn.com

Note:  This e-mail may contain PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL information and

is intended only for the use of the specific individual(s) to whom it is

addressed.  Your receipt of this e-mail is not intended to waive any

applicable privilege.  If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail,

you are hereby notified that any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying

of this e-mail or the information contained in it or attached to it is

strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please

delete it and immediately notify the person named above by telephone.

TO ENSURE COMPLIANCE WITH REQUIREMENTS IMPOSED BY THE IRS, WE MUST INFORM

YOU THAT, UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INDICATED OTHERWISE, THIS MESSAGE (INCLUDING

ANY ATTACHMENTS) WAS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED, AND CANNOT BE USED,

BY THE ADDRESSEE OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR THE PURPOSE OF (A) AVOIDING U.S.

TAX-RELATED PENALTIES OR (B) PROMOTING, MARKETING OR RECOMMENDING TO ANOTHER

PARTY ANY TAX-RELATED MATTER ADDRESSED HEREIN.

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 10:04:43 -0500

To: wwj430@msn.com

Subject: Re: Keyless entry experience? - Re: Keyless entry experience?

Seek Advice. Get Answers. Optimize your Vacation Rental Business.

created by sttt in Checking In and Out - View the full discussion

I'll try to explain best I can.   I can only speak about the Resort Lock, I like that they don't charge me a monthly fee to access codes.  I will also add that the technical support has been exceptional.  I have two of them and manage 2 condos in the Virgin Islands from Virginia.  I couldn't do it without the locks.There is no need to have a wireless connection at your 2nd home.  The lock has a coded computer chip in it along with a memory battery and 4 AA batteries to run the mechanics. The chip has mathematical logarithms embedded into it that convert a series of numbers into dates and times.  The chip gets programmed to date and time zone.  Resort Lock's computer maintains the serial number of your lock/chip.  When you have a guest you log-in to Resort Lock and plug in the dates and times of your guests stay.  Their computer spits out a 9-12 digit number that you give to your guests with instructions.  The guests show up and plug in the code - the chip does the needed math to convert it back to dates and times and viola the lock opens.  At the end of the stay the lock knows when to stop accepting the code.  The system is exactly the same as they use in motels with magnetic cards that carry the number.  Most people think the motel key cards and locks communicate - they don't.  The gizmo at the front desk tracks each locks serial number and they code the magnetic card with a number that will communicate with the lock.The Resort Lock instructions also tell the guest how to override the code to something that is easy for them to remember.  The original code will still work and any associated codes will expire at the original check out time.I've been told it's not rocket science and a respectable mathematician could break the code but as an earlier poster mentioned it's a lot easier to just break a window if you want to rob the house. I opted for the software and I-button system from ResortLock.  I issued I-buttons to the property manager and housekeeper.  The I-button is a key fob with a hard coded invisible to the user set of numbers.  You can program the lock to allow access to the button user on specific days or times.  You can also use the programmers I-button to "survey" the lock retrieving the codes along with dates and times of the last 1000 people or so who used the lock.  I've never surveyed my lock but I like having the capabilities should something go wrong. The system has not been 100% without problems - check out my post.  I have a MasterLock key safe on the door with a back up key and I urge my guests to keep my phone number handy should they have problems.  I've only had to give out the key safe combo a couple times and I change the safe combo during my next visit. The property manager also has a key which is secured separately from the key box the secretary uses with the grounds staff.  One shortcoming is that the memory records only electronic entries, it doesn't record a key entry.  One of the locksmiths complained in the post about the quality of the key cylinder and I agree.  For about 30 bucks I replaced the standard key/cylinder with a Schlage high security cylinder.  Only locksmiths have access to the blanks so you can't take the key to your local Lowe's for a copy.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

Start a new discussion in Checking In and Out by email or at Community

© 2010 HomeAway.com Inc. 1011 W. Fifth Street, Suite 300, Austin, TX 78703

Please add us to your address book to ensure you continue receiving HomeAway emails.

View our Privacy Statement | Contact Us  | Terms & Conditions

• New Member 1 posts since
    Sep 30, 2011
    59. Dec 9, 2011 11:56 AM (in response to kingfisher)

Hi,

Here is a great post about Keyless Electronic Door Locks. They're a perfect fit for rental properties.

Disclosure: I work for Schlage, but thought you all might be interested further infor on electronic locks.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points