Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
2513 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2011 8:18 AM by bella1 RSS
New Member 1 posts since
Oct 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 24, 2011 2:24 PM

disatisfied with service and additional fees

I am disappointed with the service I was given with my last rental. I had to act like the property manager, sending many emails to the owner to recieve basic information such as confirmation of the rental date, check-in procedures, and mailing my security deposit refund check. She also deducted $50.00 from my security deposit refund for cleaning fees which was $50.00 above our rental agreement and what she posts on her property listing. I know it wasn't due to the condition in which we left the property. We are just 2 fifty-somethings! When I submitted a review to VRBO.COM out of obligation to future renters of this property, they will not post it because the review does not pertain to the actual property stay. I don't get it. I think service is just as important as the property. Hotels include service in their reviews. Has anyone else been in my situation? I'm frustrated at this point with renting homes vs. hotels now. Especially if there's no recourse for the consumer.

• petersolberg Contributor 35 posts since
    Sep 13, 2011
    Oct 24, 2011 3:14 PM (in response to luvtorent)
    Re: disatisfied with service and additional fees

It's a shame that there are many honest owners that would treat you very well as a guest and you happened to deal with bad experience. It hasn't happened to me so far, but I agree with you that other travelers should know what to expect.

Are you saying that the property you rented doesn't have any reviews? VRBO didn't accept your review?
    you can always review it here, on this forum!

• wiffle Contributor 217 posts since
    Feb 23, 2011
    Oct 27, 2011 10:21 PM (in response to luvtorent)

Did you ask for an itemized explanation of why your deposit was not returned? Many states have laws that a rental deposit must be returned in X days and any deductions from the deposit must be itemized.

• New Member 2 posts since
    Nov 2, 2011
    Nov 2, 2011 8:11 AM (in response to luvtorent)

I too am having a problem getting back my security deposit.  My contract states that I should get the money back within 30 days unless there was a problem then I would be notified by the owners, concerning any money that they would be withholding.  My rental was for Labor day weekend.The owner will not contact me or answer any of my emails. I am going to contact an attorney today.  How can I let other consumers know that they should not be renting from this owner?  I have not written a review, and I see he has no other reviews of his property and it had been listed since 2008.  This was my first experience with VRBO and my last.

• wiffle Contributor 217 posts since
      Feb 23, 2011
      Nov 2, 2011 8:34 AM (in response to bella1)

Bella,

I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Some owners have no clue what they are doing, of their obligations, etc.

I am not an attorney, just an owner (who does not collect a deposit, by the way).

If it were me in your shoes, before spending big money on an attorney, I would (1) contact VRBO/HomeAway and let them know of your situation and (2) research online state law (in the state where the rental is located) on rental deposits. I would print it out and send it via certified mail, return receipt, with the pertinent sections highlighted. In some states, failure to return a security deposit in a specific timeframe entitles the renter to treble damages and I would be sure to highlight that as well.

I would certainly not let this drop and I would certainly put this in a review with the rest of my rental experience.

I hope you receive your deposit.

• kristen Active Contributor 53 posts since
      Nov 18, 2010
      Nov 2, 2011 10:33 AM (in response to bella1)

Hi bella1,

I'd like to encourage you to also reach out to support-cs@vrbo.com as soon as possible. They can provide assistance to you and also help protect other travelers from owners like this. Please let us know how it turns out.

Regards,

Kristen

Community Strategist

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points