Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
48845 Views 126 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2013 2:11 AM by swlinphx RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Previous Next
  • swlinphx Senior Contributor 2,194 posts since
    Aug 30, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Oct 17, 2011 12:55 PM (in response to skiandglee)
    Re: Keyless entry experience?

That's all good and well, but the Resort Lock doesn't solve the problem of the previous poster with the interior hallways and strict HOA enforcement.  Also, are you recommending Resort Lock for everyone or just people who don't live near their rental?  If you are going through your rental for inspection upon each check-out, then how is it difficult to change the code each time (takes me 30 seconds)?  If you have a third-party management company do your check-out inspections then can't they change the code themselves? With all the extra expense of the initial purchase plus recurring fees, a one-time price of $100 for some of the standard keyless locks seems much more feasible.

I'm not sure if this is a thread about keyless lock brands and usage in general or specifically for people who cannot manage their rental and/or who live far away.  I think it is important to differentiate as there have been numerous posts in this thread from people in different situations.

• Contributor 28 posts since
    Jul 5, 2011
    31. Oct 17, 2011 4:49 PM (in response to kingfisher)

I started with a Kwikset keypad on one house and Shlage keypad on the other.  The Kwikset batteries kept dying and ultimately it got stuck and wouldn't open.  I had researched the locks that have the programmable software and decided to give eRentalLock a try.  They use the same Shlage keyset but it has been reprogrammed to work with their software.  You can enter a date range in the software and it generates a keycode that only works during that date range.  With the other keysets, I would have to go out and erase the codes after people left which was a pain.  This way, it expires automatically.  The Shlage locks are very sturdy and while they do require batteries, they don't require a lot of "juice" because it doesn't actually turn the lock - it only engages the lock so the person entering can turn the lock and enter.  I paid $329 (they are offering it for $299 right now) which is about 3x the cost of the regular Shlage lock at Lowes.  They look the same, but you cannot use the eRentalLock software with the one you buy from Lowes (I tried).  I think it's worth it and will be replacing my remaining regular Shlage lock with another eRL lock soon.

Also, I noticed eRentalLock just came out with an audit tool to download information on who has entered and exited the property and when - not sure I need this, but looks like a handy tool!

Aug 30, 2011
    32. Oct 17, 2011 7:30 PM (in response to lauraps97)

Again, this is assuming you or the owner is not managing the place or doing inspections.  Otherwise, changing the code is the easiest part of doing a check-out.  Aside from the initial cost, are there recurring fees with the lock you bought for $329 as well?

Jul 5, 2011
    33. Oct 17, 2011 7:59 PM (in response to kingfisher)

swlinphx,

There are no recurring fees.  The software is pretty straightforward and you can even set it up to generate an email with instructions to the tenants.

FYI, I'm also in AZ   Where is your property?  I have two - one in Tempe, and one in Gilbert.

Aug 30, 2011
    34. Oct 17, 2011 8:26 PM (in response to lauraps97)

Oh, that's good to know.  So it's not like Resort Lock then I guess.  I'm in N. Central Phoenix near the Pointe Hilton at Tapatio Cliffs.  I have three units here and live on property so I don't have to worry about remote management. 

• skiandglee Active Contributor 509 posts since
    Apr 27, 2011
    35. Oct 17, 2011 8:34 PM (in response to swlinphx)

Wow, feel like I'm being attacked and need to defend my post!  ok, I'll bite.

I do recommend ResortLock to everyone, even if they do live near by the property based on my experiences.  I will give you both my houses if you can enter 14 codes in 30 seconds, even 5 codes in 30 seconds, you can have them.  You must enter the 6 digit programming code, press schlage button, then press 1, then press the 4 digit code, press the 4 digit code again and then, I test the code to be sure it really works.  That's a lot of button pressing.  I do NOT inspect the property after each renter, my inspector/cleaners do.  I was previously having them delete each code for me, when they got low, I would make a trip to the house to enter them all as stated above.

There are NO recurring fees with ResortLock, it's a one time price of $299 or $399 depending on which lock you buy.  The cheapest Schlage you can get is $129.  The iLink Schlage which allows you to control through the internet is $199.  So if $100 is going to break the bank then you have bigger problems...

As I stated, I have all of them.  Even had the Kaba lock and gave it away.  I use the Schlage $199 iLink locks for my owner's closets because my alarm system has the communications with it already built in.  I HAD the Schlage locks that were non-iLink and I like them as well but had to enter new codes after the 14 that I was using were deleted.  I was lucky my cleaner/inspector was willing to do the code deletions for me, some may not be so lucky.

Hope this clears things up.

Rick

www.vacationrentalhelper.com

Apr 27, 2011
    36. Oct 17, 2011 8:36 PM (in response to swlinphx)

ResortLock does not have recurring fees, they don't even need software, you can access the code generation through their website from your computer, your phone, your ipad...

Rick

Aug 30, 2011
    37. Oct 17, 2011 8:42 PM (in response to skiandglee)

All I have to do is press the program button once and enter a code and test it (and again if I want a second code).  Maybe takes me 1-2 minutes tops.  Secondly, I can't imagine needing 14 codes.  I keep one master code and one revolving code for each unit.  Finally, you just addressed the point I was making as you aren't managing your own place or doing inspections.  If you are paying for the extra expense of separate management and the more expensive locks that is fine, but it's a lot more money than I need to spend and doesn't accomplish anything any better or easier for me.  The locks I bought average around $100 (one even less).  Again, changing the code is the easiest part of processing a check-out; I wish the rest of it were as easy though, LOL. 

Aug 30, 2011
    38. Oct 17, 2011 8:46 PM (in response to skiandglee)

I can see how that'd be handy if I lived far or wasn't going thru my units upon check-out.  The whole process (inspecting, resituating, replensihing, refunds, etc.) can take anywhere from 1.5 - 4 hours, depending on how things are left and what may be needed.

Apr 27, 2011
    39. Oct 17, 2011 8:47 PM (in response to swlinphx)

I DO manage my own properties!  I do not pay others to manage them, I do pay others to clean them, I pay others to service my hot tubs and pools but does that mean I don't manage them? 

I average 30-35 renters per house per year so I need a lot of codes.  Even at 14, I was having to re-enter them 3 -4 times a year.

Hey, if they are working for you, then you can't argue with success!  Good luck and be happy that a $100 (or less) lock works for you!

Rick

Jul 5, 2011
    40. Oct 17, 2011 9:00 PM (in response to kingfisher)

I manage my own properties and I live in Chandler AZ.  I was originally doing the same thing- I had a rolling code for the Kwikset lock (it only held two codes) and I reprogrammed after each stay.  The Schlage holds more so I pre-programmed all that would fit and then just wiped out the used codes after people left.

The challenge is that by doing this, the codes are good from the time you program them until you wipe them out.  To eliminate any potential issues with people accessing the property early (which might not be that likely, but I don't want to take chances), I was sending out the code the day before.  That works ok, but it seems the renters are more comfortable having the codes further in advance.  I collect the full balance two weeks before the renters arrive and that seems like the best time to send them the code plus any other info.  If they end up having questions, they have plenty of time versus only one day before when they are preparing to travel.  With the eRentalLock I can generate the code in advance and I know it will not work until they check in, and it will not work after they checkout.  I sometimes don't get to do the walkthrough until several days later (I work full time, so it's not like I have time to pop by these properties every day).  It gives me a peace of mind that the properties are not being accessed during times they aren't supposed to be.

I did look at the ResortLock and it's very similar in concept to the eRentalLock. I didn't opt to go with it because frankly it looks ugly and I like the look of the Schlage locks.

Aug 30, 2011
    41. Oct 17, 2011 9:25 PM (in response to skiandglee)

I misunderstood.  I thought you meant 14 codes per property.  I'm just saying that if you don't have that many units and live nearby the $100 locks are pretty much the same as the remote locks without the remote access and timed codes.  It is the software and wireless communication that raises the price, not the hardware or functionality of the mechanism.  My point is you don't need to pay more than about $100 or so if you don't need remote management.  There is no way to know each poster's situation on here so I don't want others to spend triple if they don't need to is all.

Aug 30, 2011
    42. Oct 17, 2011 9:35 PM (in response to lauraps97)

See, that's why it's important we all clarify and understand each other's situation.  I don't give the codes and small details until they check in, but I check each party in personally (athough I do use self-checkout).  I provide a check-in sheet & guide with check-out instructions also, as well as keys to gates and other necessities, and have them sign final contract copies, etc.  I also show them some feature of the unit and answer final questions.  The point of all this is that what lock you use (and need) depends on many factors that we all may not realize about each other's process & procedures.

• sttt New Member 15 posts since
    Oct 17, 2011
    43. Oct 17, 2011 11:58 PM (in response to kingfisher)

I've used the the RL2000 for 3+ years on two condos located far from my home.  They are waterfront units, the locks are somewhat protected behind a screen door but still corrosion is a constant battle.  So far they've faired well.  I replace the batteries every 6-12 months, long before the recommended time frame of up to 2 years.

The sealed key pad of the RL 3000 was new to the market at the time I purchased the RL2000.  I was told that the biggest drawback to the flush key pad is that it was not replaceable hence I went with the RL2000

At a cost of about $40 per lock I also replaced the Schlage tumbler assembly with one of Schlage's more unique higher security cylinder/key systems.  Blanks are only available at certain Schlage approved locksmiths. 
    I keep a back up key in a lock safe on premise.

I also purchased the programming software and Ibutton keys which I issue to my housekeeper and property manager.  I wanted the ability to survey the lock to recover the last 1000 or so entries but to date I have not used it.  The Ibutton keys are appreciated by property management and my housekeeper.

For guest codes I most often use the free web service which has performed flawlessly and at no cost.  Both the software and website have the ability to issue single use codes which I have used to "show" the unit to prospective guest.  I have also issued single use codes to tradesman and appliance delivery crews.

For a recent bathroom remodel that went long over schedule I was able to somewhat gauge the progress of the contractor based on his need for successive codes.  All of this is done with about 1500 miles between me and the properties and my only being able to visit once or twice a year. 

It has not been without incident however; in the past three years I have had 4 issues. 

1. One of my first guests was using her fingernails to stab at the keys which throws them temporarily out of alignment and lock them in the down position.  Since that time I've asked my guests to use fingertips only and the problem has not cropped up again.

2. One guest just couldn't gain access one night.  I told him the key safe combo and he got in. According to him the lock was working again the next morning and I now suspect somehow the lock got drunk.

3. A family member was locked out one evening and contacted me for the key safe combo.  Calling tech support the next morning we determined the lock was flawed internally.  It was out of warranty but ResortLock replaced it at a nominal cost together with the cost of my shipping the defective lock back to them for rebuilding. 

Those three issues all occurred on the same unit.  The 4th problem was the most serious and occurred on the 2nd unit after 3 years of near constant use.  I was fortunate to be on island at the time and am also very handy.  I dismantled the lock and discovered that the wire that powers the actuator motor simply broke off the terminal.   I jury rigged a temporary fix and once again ResortLock supplied me with the replacement parts at a nominal cost. 

I have since purchased a 3rd ResortLock which I maintain as a back-up replacement. 

My list of issues may seem long but I am not at all discouraged primarily since shortly before I installed the ResortLocks in the days when all I used was a key safe, my housekeeper reported to me that someone had entered the condo one evening and spent the night leaving behind an unmade bed, cigarette buts and some unfinished beverages in the fridge.  Luckily no body was hurt and no property was damaged or stolen but certainly soured me on key safes or flower pots as a primary means of key security.

That being said however I wouldn't be without a keysafe and a ready cell phone or some other strong backup plan.  I recommend ResortLock but have also told the company I wish they would spend an extra few buck to insure sturdy mechanical components. 

• New Member 18 posts since
    Oct 16, 2011
    44. Oct 18, 2011 2:36 PM (in response to tfv)

TFV,,,, youll have to add an electric strike to the frame (where the latch secures into the door frame) doing that will allow you to either add a small black box on the outside of the door next to the frame, not near the lock or on the door itself. That small black box is a RFID reader (uses a small key fob) or you can do a small code key pad that can mounted anywhere outside the unit., this will allow guests into the unit and will actually be more secure than any code lock on the market. THe hoa will be happy because that same lock is in place on the door. If you have wifi in your unit you can even monitor the doors actions live online If you go that route it is a little more expensive but the the benifits are way more advaced than any code lock on the market since you can actually log into the lock by internet or even by phone. Price varies on what you want it to do really, but could be comparritive to code locks., If interested in more information let me know, there are quite a few systems out that to pick from,,,

www.locksmithmyrtlebeach.com

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Previous Next

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points