Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
27753 Views 41 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2014 7:21 PM by ringak11 RSS Branched to a new discussion.
msdebj Senior Contributor 1,362 posts since
May 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 4, 2011 1:44 PM

Not Happy With New VRBO Inquiry form

I must have missed something.  I received an inquiry this morning from someone wanting to rent for a month. Normally, this request came in an email form that I could simply respond to via my own personal email account.  I have always tracked my entire conversations with guests from beginning to end, for legal purposes.

However, today I found I had to log into VRBO, and have my response ( and quote, had I chosen to offer one, which I did not, since I don't rent for long term periods).

I do not want VRBO to be monitoring my emails between me and potential guests, much less have access to my business discussions with MY personal potential guests. It is none of VRBO's business what price I may quote, etc. VRBO is not my property management company. I pay them for my advertisement, I do not use their reservation manager software, or participate in their payment feature. I've been perfectly content to manage my own calendar, and deal with my own payment options. 

I guess now I can take the time to respond by closing the inquiry and responding via my own email ( which I will be doing). However this seems just another dumb, unfriendly hoop VRBO is requirng me to jump through. 

I'd love to hear from VRBO as to how this helps THEM, how it helps ME. 

Anyone else?

• New Member 6 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Oct 4, 2011 3:53 PM (in response to msdebj)

Absolutely agree with you about NOT liking the new VRBO Inquiry format! Received an inquiry late yesterday and didn't realize by clicking "REPLY" it automatically emailed a generic response to the inquirer. I always like to interact directly through email or phone with prospective renters to provide information that would help them in their decision process. Why did VRBO feel it necessary to fix/improve on a system that was working just fine? I, too will now have to circumvent the VRBO's "new & improved" ?? system.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    Oct 4, 2011 4:21 PM (in response to msdebj)

I also am VERY UNHAPPY about the new form, the introduction of which WAS UNANNOUNCED!  It is very difficult to reply to the new form and much information is lost.

"NEW AND IMPROVED" is often NOT IMPROVED.

I have asked VRBO Help how to revert to the "old" format but have not had any reply.  They have also removed their phone number from their corporate data making it much more difficult to get to their "Technical Group".  If anyone gets an answer, please post it here so we will all know how to go back to the "old" form

Thank you.

• Currently Being Moderated
      Oct 4, 2011 6:23 PM (in response to floridajoe)
      Re: Not Happy With New VRBO Inquiry form

Dear All,

Thanks for your feedback on the new format of the VRBO inquiries.  We appreciate hearing your perspective!

Our new inquiry email contains a Reply button that allows you to reply to the traveler directly. Using the yellow Reply button on the inquiry email helps you track the conversations you have with travelers in your account. Please note that you must log into your account to use this reply button.

The benefit of using this Reply button is realized if you are using the ReservationManager online payment system.  Keeping all of your communications and payment history details within ReservationManager will streamline your reservation process.

If you are not using ReservationManager, you do not have to use the "Reply" button on the inquiry email.  You can still respond to the traveler as you previously did, by simply replying to the email via your email provider. It is your choice....your message will get to the potential guest either way.

Sincerely,

Valerie

Support Manager

Oct 5, 2011 1:19 AM (in response to vrogers)

Unannounced changes are just plain impolite, thoughtless and rude. My guests don't appreciate them and I don't either.

Oct 9, 2011
        Oct 9, 2011 1:15 PM (in response to vrogers)

Dear Valerie,

I agree with the unhappy owners on the matter.  Particularly as 'msdebj' said, I don't want vrbo to be privy to my financial dealings with my guests.  I have liked vrbo and the service for advertising, but I haven't contacted for property management, payment dealings or anything else, nor do I chose to.  This felt like I was being railroaded, a bit quietly, into that.  As you said the Reply button tracks the conversation, but all then thru vrbo, with all that private information no longer so private.

The inquiry form as you have "improved " it, can be cut and pasted and used somewhat in the same way as before, but it's MUCH more work for us!  I don't care for it at all.  The last one was very easy to respond to.

Thanks for taking some of this to heart and considering changing it back.

• New Member 25 posts since
        Jun 22, 2011
        Oct 10, 2011 8:15 PM (in response to vrogers)

If that's the case, then I think I would like to just go back to using paypal.  Anyone know how to opt out of the new system? 

• info@stayattremblant.com Active Contributor 543 posts since
        Aug 25, 2011
        Oct 11, 2011 8:36 AM (in response to vrogers)

Doesn't the system know which owners have opted to use the "Reservation Manger" (whatever that is) and only put the button on those owners' emails?

That seems like web-developer childs play.  No?

Peter.

• marym Active Contributor 463 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Oct 5, 2011 6:02 AM (in response to msdebj)

I noticed the new format, but because my computer blocked some of the inquiry (to wit: 'Can't see this message in its entirety? Switch to HTML format? inquiries, etc.) I just hit reply via my e-mail system like I always did.  I didn't notice any problems and assume the inquiries are getting my responses (goodnes, I hope they're getting my responses!)  It would appear from the VRBO response that you don't have to use their system - it's just there if you'd like to and have everything tie in all together...

• Contributor 145 posts since
    May 12, 2011
    Oct 5, 2011 2:18 PM (in response to msdebj)

On HomeAway Inquires is anyone receiving inquries with a number and no name ? Just about every inquiry that has come in over the last week or so looks like this on multiple properties.  After reading this post I am now worried that maybe HomeAway made some sort of change and that these may actually be real inquires that I have been ignoring....I have been treating them all as SPAM.

Name

2303 314

Email

I have removed the email address for privacy #########

Inquiry Detail

Dear Sir, I would like to know how much will ir cost to rent this house for the 13 days. What are the procedures to start the rental process? Waiting for a response

Oct 8, 2011
    Oct 8, 2011 3:32 PM (in response to msdebj)

I agree 100% and with all the other replies  This new method is much more difficult to process.  Try to look on VRBO for a number to call, or a link "contact us".  They don't want to be bothered.  I will not be with VRBO for the 2012 season.

• thaxterlane Active Contributor 786 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Oct 9, 2011 3:46 PM (in response to msdebj)

I do not use the reservation manager features and do not look forward to an inquiry system managed by vrbo/homeaway.  I prefer to answer, manage, record, and invoice my property on my own.  I've signed on to advertise on these sites; not provide information on my management of my property to the advertiser for their use.   I do not provide any information on my renters to vrbo/homeaway.  Once I receive an inquiry I handle all aspects of the process myself. 

It appears vrbo/homeaway is moving toward greater control (informational and financial) of properties advertised.  Every time you use one of their "features" you are being further drawn into their influence.

Thiink about it - these features must be designed for increased income and influence on the part of vrbo/homeaway.  Is this truly in your interest? 

Each new feature appears to exert greater influence/control over the property owner/manager.

• meredith HomeAway Employee 384 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Oct 11, 2011 2:54 PM (in response to msdebj)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feeback about the new VRBO inquiry  email. I hope you will take a moment to check out this  blog post by Patrick Duncan which explains how these enhancements  were created in order to ease the process of responding to  inquiries.

While we hope you will give the new inquiry email a try, these features are optional and you can still reply to a guest  using your email client as you have always done.

All best,

Meredith Maspero

Community Coordinator

Jun 22, 2011
      Oct 11, 2011 2:48 PM (in response to meredith)

I called this morning to complain about this, and was told VRBO has heard from lots of unhappy owners wanting to opt out of this new feature, and you were trying to figure out how to fix it? Is this true? 

• anja Senior Contributor 1,560 posts since
        Aug 9, 2011
        Nov 20, 2011 1:47 PM (in response to j.j..burns)

Meredith works for HA/VRBO....they pay her to always be positive and encouraging on this Community....she just passes messages onto a seemingly uncaring and arrogant management. A management that seems to view Owners as dispensible, in my opinion.  And they are correct...Owners are dispensible....when they drop their accounts there will always be new Owners coming in to replace them.  It sems, IMO, the management is focused ONLY on *their* profits for the company and their shareholders. That's it. If they really wanted to "fix" anything, it would be EASY....they would drop their "new and improved" inquiry system that is pitting all Owners in any given area "against each other"...so we could respond to "targeted" inquiries directed to the individual OWNER...after the Traveler reads our well-crafted advertisement...that HA/VRBO instructs us to write.  Period.  It used to work very well on VRBO {it used to be the best, in my opinion...now it is performing the worst....I am on several other accommodation portals and I have my own website. My website is outperforming VRBO to bring me business now....and so are the other portals I am on.] VRBO is underperforming for this Owner.  I just want to get a few bookings this year to compensate for the very expensive ad + 16 photos I now have...which does not seem to give me  ADVANTAGE because of their "new and improved" inquiry process.  A quick glance at the Traveler Community posts will reveal that even Travelers are beginning to express frustration....because the "new and improved" inquiry system seems to make it easier to shoot ONE inquiry email to MANY Owners in any given area....but then it back fires because the request is "untargeted" ...because the Traveler does not even have to *read* a single {expensive paid for ad} ....and just waits for the offers to pour into their inbox.  But, Owners are getting "untarget" and thus irrelevant inquiries... so they do not reply....and the Traveler is getting frustrated.  I always reply regardless of whether I have the opening or not....but then I do not get a response from the Traveler, either...because that person probably has gotten more than one Owner responding...and I am at a disadvantage to get the booking. I used to succeed with bookings all the time with the old VRBO. It was the best and I used to recommend it to every new rental owner in my area.  No more.  The system is seriously flawed and geared by HA/VRBO towards serving the Traveler, and making profit.  But, isn't it Owners that pay for this service?  The management is HAPPY with all thi$. No changes seem to be on the horizon that will address any of the disadvantages the inquiry form creates for Owners.

Jun 22, 2011
      Oct 11, 2011 2:49 PM (in response to meredith)

Oh, and we don't like the "have you considered these other properties" message our prospective tenants get when inquiring about properties for which we paid money to advertise!

• info@stayattremblant.com Active Contributor 543 posts since
      Aug 25, 2011
      Oct 11, 2011 3:03 PM (in response to meredith)

Hi VRBO,

From the blog:

>> However, using these new features is entirely  optional.

>> You may continue to reply to potential guest directly from  your email

>> client (Outlook, AOL, etc.), as you have always done.

Not true.  Now I have to edit the e-mail to remove the "Reply" button to ensure that guests are not misled into using it.  I still also need to edit out the marketing stuff at the bottom of the e-mails.  Also, why is there a copyright at the bottom of the e-mail?  That seems unnecessary.  What is being copyrighted?  The guests' inquiry to me?

Can't the HA/VRBO systems simply look to see if I'm using this "Reservation Manager" (again, whatever that is -- I certainly don't need or want it -- and I certainly don't want to continue to subsidize all of this web development of features that are useless to the majority.)

Please HA/VRBO -- you must surely be hearing us owners by now.

At least consult with us before you implement new "features" that no one wants.

P.

Oct 12, 2011 10:40 AM (in response to info@stayattremblant.com)

[info@stayattremblant.com | mailto:info@stayattremblant.com]

<br mozdirty="" type="_moz">

Hi VRBO,

From the blog:

>> However, using these new features is entirely  optional.

>> You may continue to reply to potential guest directly from  your email

>> client (Outlook, AOL, etc.), as you have always done.

Not true.  Now I have to edit the e-mail to remove the "Reply" button to ensure that guests are not misled into using it.  I still also need to edit out the marketing stuff at the bottom of the e-mails.  Also, why is there a copyright at the bottom of the e-mail?  That seems unnecessary.  What is being copyrighted?  The guests' inquiry to me?

Can't the HA/VRBO systems simply look to see if I'm using this "Reservation Manager" (again, whatever that is -- I certainly don't need or want it -- and I certainly don't want to continue to subsidize all of this web development of features that are useless to the majority.)

Please HA/VRBO -- you must surely be hearing us owners by now.

At least consult with us before you implement new "features" that no one wants.

P.

Thanks very much for mentioning the annoyance of needing to remove the "Reply" button (and also the "help" button, and all the handy hints of good business practices that have NO GOOD REASON to be sent to prospective GUESTS)!  And I, too, wondered "what was being copyrighted" - such as MY CABIN INFORMATION or contact information, or* is HA/VRBO trying to copyright the content of the actual inquiry FROM THE PROSPECTIVE RENTAL GUEST!?  *This is absurd, and it will look absurd (or worse, truly worrisome) to any prospective guest who notices.  And one MUST do this (or have this absurd "business only" content go to person inquiring) EVEN IF JUST REPLYING THE OLD WAY, with plain email, BYPASSING all of the HA/VRBO mumbo jumbo. <span style="font-size: 12pt;" mcestyle="font-size: 12pt;"> <span style="text-decoration: underline;" mcestyle="text-decoration: underline;">NOTE that if one uses ReservationManager for these replies (and more), the ALL OF YOUR INFORMATION IS FOREVER LOCKED AWAY WITHIN THE HA/VRBO SYSTEM, and you "can't leave" without leaving the sometimes vital history/emails behind. </span></span><span style="font-size: 10pt;" mcestyle="font-size: 10pt;">   I am trying to find a way to use the charge card functions withOUT using ANY of the other features.  If this isn't possible - or becomes too tedious - I'll just stick with Chase.  However, it would SEEM that HA/VRBO should be encouraging their clients (that's US, THE OWNERS!) to save considerable money, rather than throw up ridiculous roadblocks that actually interfere.  I was about to give this all a try, and the more I read here and elsewhere, the more worried I get about what we'd be getting into...  And YES, if the listing doesn't participate in ReservationManager, then PLEASE:  kindly eliminate all that mumbo jumbo.  Thanks!</span></p>

May 12, 2011
    Oct 11, 2011 3:04 PM (in response to msdebj)

It looks to me as if HomeAway has a strategic plan to focus on property managers and let individual home owners go by the wayside.  If you think about it a property manager with hundreds of listings could care less if they promote other listings as they are starting to monoloplize the listing space. The writing is on the wall with the recent press release about gobbling up more reservaton software systems for property managers.  We are a pain in there back side and they really would prefer we no longr advertise with them which is why they keep finding ways to make us all unhappy so we will go away.  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/HomeAway-Announces-New-prnews-4225767323.html?x=0&.v=1

May 12, 2011
    Oct 11, 2011 9:10 PM (in response to msdebj)

After reading the post earlier today I changed my approach to just blasting out quotes. Since we know that VRBO/HA is marketing other properties when someone sends in an inquiry I figured that now I have to do a better job explaining which home is ours. Figured out that it is now best to be last in line so this is an example of what I am sending out.

Thank you for the interest in our vacation home (our home is the listing that is riverfront that has a private media room and gazebo).  We would be delighted to accommodate your request as we still have the dates you requested open.  Most folks are sending inquires to multiple owners searching for the best fit .  After you have received all your quotes please let me have the opportunity to provide you with a comparable offer as we would really like the opportunity to have your family stay with us.   

I had a call today and asked them point blank if they have received all the quotes back. Get a load of this…she said I was initially focusing on your cabin but have inquires out to several other people. I told her that it is our policy to no longer provide a quote until all quotes have been received and you are ready o make a decision as we do not want our bid used to negotiate with another owner. I asked for the other listing numbers that I was competing against. Too my amazement she rattled off all the listing numbers. I looked them up which gave me a great opportunity to call her back with feedback on why my home was a much nicer property and better value for the money. Gezzzz…..starting to feel like I am a used car salesmen. All I need now is to pick up a pair of white shoes

Oh and on a positive note…a reservation came in today and when I asked how she found us she said my daughter found you on Facebook! I have got to find an expert on using Facebook as I think this is the answer to getting away from these bandits!

Aug 9, 2011
      Oct 11, 2011 9:17 PM (in response to vacationlady)

I appreciate your post "vacationlady". You are on the right track, in my opinion.   My husband and I were discussing a similar strategy to respond now that our "very expensive - 16 image" advertisement gives us no advantage...as what we thought would bring us "targeted"  inquiries has now been degraded by HA/VRBO into a "flea market" of all other rentals....folks are actually "distracted away" from our listing, before they even hear from us.   I am changing my "response" messages...when I finish one that I think will work...as you have done.... I will post it here, as well. It will take a little trial and error to get it right...maybe if enough of  us put our sharp minds together we can come up with a 'winner'.  Thank  you for sharing.

Feb 10, 2011
      Oct 12, 2011 6:34 AM (in response to vacationlady)

Yes, vacalady - I, too, appreciate your generousity.  I will be changing my response as well.  I never thought about potential guests using the figures I quote as a bargaining chip for other rentals.  I certainly don't blame them - it appears as though HA/VRBO has made it easy for them to do.

May 12, 2011
    Oct 12, 2011 3:25 PM (in response to msdebj)

msdebj..can you help with a bit more clarification as to why you are copying and pasting the inquiry.  Just like you I do not use the HA reservation manager or payment system as I use my own.  The inquiry comes to my email account and I just hit repy but delete all the nonsense at the bottom of the form and also take off the other action stuff on the side before I respond.  Are you saying that the person that receives the inquiry cannot figure out if this is an auto message coming from HA so you have to send out something that shows you are the real owner ?  Sorry, I may have been asleep at the switch on this thread relating to the inquiry form changes.

• New Member 6 posts since
        Oct 4, 2011
        Oct 12, 2011 5:56 PM (in response to msdebj)

I too, decided to "test" the new system and did so a few days ago by inquiring about my own rental property. Besides receiving the initial response from VRBO/HA, just today I received another email promoting other properties (the competition).There were" Featured Weekly Listings" and "Top Places For Couples" which listed several properties linking directly to their VRBO property ads. What criteria does VRBO/HA use in picking these listings? My property was not listed among them (of course not)!!. This was a real eye-opener to see what happens "behind the scenes" and how we as paying clients/owners are treated.

Aug 9, 2011
          Oct 12, 2011 6:27 PM (in response to nancy.eris)

As we Owners "discover" all the ways that VRBO are working *against* us, through their "new and improved" inquiry process....there is not a single peep from any of the "moderators" to this Owner Community. They are, themselves, good folks who are paid by HA/VRBO to "tow the line"....give us encouragement {direct us to tools}...and be ever so positive and assure us Owners that their "new and improved" inquiry process is for the benefit of -- whom?____{fill in the blank}.

Feb 10, 2011
        Oct 12, 2011 8:07 PM (in response to msdebj)

I tested too - I think I'm okay - I've just hit the reply button on my browser and responded to my own inquiry.  I'm satisfied that it's my response that's getting back to the inquiry.  HOWEVER, I also did a test with the HA/VRBO reply button in the "new and improved" response.  I had NO IDEA that it prepared a "canned response" to the inquiry!    Not sure I like that.  I want to do my own correspondence.  I'll continue to draft my own responses with my own browser...

May 12, 2011
    Oct 12, 2011 6:57 PM (in response to msdebj)

My husband did a test so we could have access to the competition list.  It looks like VRBO/HA has some sort of algorithm that compares the number of bedrooms and occupancy.  We are going to do another test tomorrow to find out if the competition list changes or stays the same.  If the competition list stays the same we have decided to be proactive and are going to create a competition summary that will go along with VRBO/HA inquiry. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined having to do something like this with the money we are spending. I do not see any benefit what so ever in paying for 16 photos on VRBO when they are using my property listing to feature the competition that is only paying for 5 photos.

• New Member 9 posts since
    Jan 3, 2012
    Jan 3, 2012 5:26 AM (in response to msdebj)

I hate the new VRBO inquiry form.  I knew something was wrong when I wasn't getting responses back from possible renters.  So I had my son send me a request as a trial I could respond to and see what would show up on a prospective renters email.  I was shocked!  Please please please just let me go back to the way I responded before.  That is what made VRBO work, the personal attention by the owner to the client.  If I can not respond to my inquiries the way I used to I am afraid I will not have any renters to worry about and I defininely will not be renewing my advertising with VRBO if this does not get corrected.  Please read these comments by your customers and take them seriously.  Give us the option to receive and respond to inquiries the way we used to.  It is imperative to our business!  My sent folder used to contain all the correspondence I had with a potential client from the beginning inquiry to our last conversation. They loved it and so did I.  I can not believe this new form can be increasing anyones bottom line.  I haven't had a response back since I have used it, and I have tried using the reply button and the responding through their email.  And if you are not listening to these complaints on here can you please tell me where we can telephone to complain.  I can't take another month of no rentals.

• susaninrehoboth Active Contributor 893 posts since
      Sep 3, 2011
      Jan 3, 2012 5:51 AM (in response to tysmother)

Hello tysmother,

I agree and found an easy solution. I copy the email address from an inquiry and send a reply as a new email. It works. In the subject line, I always write inquiry regarding VRBO # xxxxx so the prospective tenant knows which inquiry the response is for.

What really upsets me is VRBO automatically generating suggestions at the bottom for what VRBO considers similar rentals. Not only is it unfair to the person paying for the listing, but the suggestions aren't even filtered for availability of the requested dates. As a potential renter, if a website suggests similar rentals (which most people agree VRBO shouldn't), I'd assume the places were available.

I hope this works for you.

Jan 3, 2012
        Jan 3, 2012 6:08 AM (in response to susaninrehoboth)

Thank you for your response.  Yes, I am answering my inquiries in the manner you

suggested, but the problem is that the message in my sent folder does not

contain the original inquiry message from the customer as it used to.  That was

a useful for both the prospective customer and myself.   I am not getting

rsponses back so I do not think the customers are really understanding who is

writing them back.  Do you know of any way to respond to them and have their

original inquiry be attached to it?  Thanks again.

Feb 10, 2011
      Jan 3, 2012 6:07 AM (in response to tysmother)

I just hit the reply button from my own e-mail system, i.e., don't hit the reply within the VRBO notice.  Then I just remove all the VRBO crap at the bottom of the e-mail.

Jan 3, 2012
        Jan 3, 2012 6:22 AM (in response to marym)

Dear Mary,

I have tried doing that (not using the yellow reply button in

the body of the auto VRBO inquiry) and just using my own email reply button but

I do not know how to remove the rest of the VRBO crap at the bottom of the

email.  I know that might sound dumb but I am not real computer savvy.  Also I

have sent emails as a new email to the prospective customer but in my sent

folder it does not have any copy of their original inquiry so I think it

confuses the customer as to who is responding to them.  Perhaps I am making

something harder here than it has to be, but I have been very successful in

getting responses back before this new system and now I can't seem to get any

responses back at all.   Thank you for your help, anything at all would be

helpful.

Jan 3, 2012
        Jan 3, 2012 6:28 AM (in response to marym)

Dear Mary,

Just figured out how to erase the bottom half of the automated

VRBO notice.  I will try using that method from now on.  Thanks so much.

Jan 13, 2012
    Jan 13, 2012 3:12 PM (in response to msdebj)

If you reply using Reservations Manager, HomeAway attaches other properties for your potential guests to consider!

This isn't Amazon, where someone buys one book, gets a second recommendation, and thinks--Oh, I'll buy that one too!

People pick ONE vacation property per trip, and you're not doing yourself any favors by using a system that pushes other properties as part of your reply to an inquiry.

• ringak11 New Member 2 posts since
    Jan 7, 2014
    Jan 7, 2014 7:21 PM (in response to msdebj)

I agree with all the unhappy homeowners. Replying in the dash board for each question is a real pain and not convient at all. I just want to be able to email back and forth with people. Please VRBO listen to us and make the change back to the old format.

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)