Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
6603 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2012 12:31 PM by jconway@gmail.com RSS
New Member 2 posts since
Jul 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 30, 2011 9:29 AM

Refunding deposit- credit card fee

I refunded a guest's $100 deposit, which she had paid by credit card, by making a partial refund of $100 through the Reservation Manager system. The next day I received an email documenting the transaction but it indicated that only $97.50 was refunded to my guest so now I have to send her a check for $2.50. I understand and am willing to accept being charged a 2.5% fee on my end for the convenience of accepting credit cards, but I don't like having my guest shorted, especially when I advertise a full refund of their deposit. Is there a way to fully refund a guest's deposit other than by sending a check for the full amount? I've read through some of the threads about credit card fees but I haven't seen this addressed.

• mike-dfv Community All-Star 819 posts since
    Mar 5, 2011
    Jul 30, 2011 11:47 AM (in response to vcaldwell)

My understanding is that all fees are supposed to be refunded as well. Hopefully someone can confirm that and make an adjustment for you. Otherwise, I'll have to switch back to Paypal.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Aug 10, 2011
    Aug 10, 2011 2:49 PM (in response to vcaldwell)

VCaldwell,

Unless this was a coding error on the processor's part, your guests should never, ever, ever see the fees you pay discounted from their refund. This was almost certainly a mistake on the part of the processor and should be rectified immediately.

Depending on who you are using for a processor, it is getting less and less common to charge merchants for refunds. In any case, you should be in touch with the processor today and demand that the mistake is fixed.

Hope this helps!

Mike

• New Member 3 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    Aug 11, 2011 9:19 AM (in response to vcaldwell)

I am doing business online and I also receive payments that are net of a certain fee. However, when I inquired about the fee, I do not usually get a clear answer. I think the fees depend on the payment system because sometimes other transactions are not deducted with fees.

• New Member 3 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    Aug 15, 2011 5:44 AM (in response to vcaldwell)

Glad that you are able to clarify the transaction with the processor. We should truly not let our customers feel that they are being shortchanged. Honesty is the best policy. Cheers.

• New Member 1 posts since
    Oct 5, 2011
    Oct 5, 2011 3:50 PM (in response to vcaldwell)

I had the exact same situation today, got an email showing the refund minus the cc fee and it looks like it was charged to the renter. I used reservation manager to do a partial refund.

@patrickduncan, is Homeaway doing something about this? or who should I contact to have a different kind of set up? or is there a better way to issue sec deposit refunds?

thanks for your help

• patrickduncan HomeAway Employee 143 posts since
      Mar 21, 2011
      Oct 5, 2011 10:55 PM (in response to shengamillo)

Hi shengamillo -

Rest assured, your guest will receive the full amount of the refund you specify, while only the amount originally deposited to your account will be debited. VacationRentPayment (YapStone) reimburses their fees to make up the difference.

We will work with them to improve the clarity of the confirmation email you receive to avoid this confusion in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Patrick

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points