Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
3338 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2012 8:05 PM by marilyn RSS
molly.kirkland New Member 1 posts since
May 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 20, 2011 7:20 PM

Is there a way to rate/review renters??

My most recent guests demanded that I refund them money etc stating the house was dirty.  I came over the next day and what they stated was dirty was a kitchen cutting board (2 large brand new ones were on the counter) and a pastry brush.  I am new to this VRBO, I have never rented to strangers.  I was so afraid of a bad review that I refunded them part of their rent.  After talking with other VRBO owners here on the Outer Banks I have learned that this is fairly common.  Is there a way we can warn other VRBO members of a bad guest???

• Active Contributor 343 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010
    Jul 20, 2011 7:40 PM (in response to molly.kirkland)

Hi Molly,

Thanks for posting on Community. While you wait to hear from other members, I wanted to let you know that others have asked a similar question in our "Screening" Forum. You can check out those related discussions here.

All the best,

Laura

• Contributor 36 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Jul 27, 2011 2:33 PM (in response to molly.kirkland)

Huh! I had similar issues - the guests complained that "they left the house cleaner than it was, do not charge the cleaning fee" - my answer was firm - you signed the contract,  I paid for the cleaner, forget it.

Be wery firm in what you allow  people to claim. I did promise interenet and phone and on the first day  for one couple both stalled - so I did charge them less, because these were important expectations, and they were not fixed immediately.

But anybody saying "the house was dirty" is suspect.

• New Member 15 posts since
    Jul 28, 2011
    Jul 30, 2011 4:48 PM (in response to molly.kirkland)

I can't believe how many people there are looking for a way to rate and screen guests. Yes, Molly there are several ways. You can, of course, do a background check. But this is won't really tell you about their history as a rental guest.

My company uses two services:
    1) Guestchecker.com which covers north america and is free.

2) Guestscan.com which covers western europe and is $80/year.

There is another service here in the US called badvacationrenter but only list vrbo guests, whereas the other two services list guests of all types: vacation rental, hotel, motel, b&b, etc.

Guestchecker got a lot of press about a year ago. I did a google search and found a news channel report HERE. It explains how the process works. I really like the part where the hotel manager is talking about how many people can fit into a hottub. He is dead on!

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Best Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points