Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
Currently Being Moderated

Summit 2011 FAQs

VERSION 11  Click to view article history
Created on: Feb 25, 2010 6:53 PM by community-editor - Last Modified:  Nov 23, 2011 2:57 PM by meredith
owners summit faqs    
Q: How many people will be in attendance?
A: We will have approximately 300 owners and property managers at the 2011 HomeAway Summit.

Q: What are the dates and times for this event?
A: We will be available for early check-in for HomeAway Summit from 9:00am to 12:00pm on Friday, April 29, 2011 at the Hilton Austin on the 4th Floor. If you registered to attend the Listing Workshop, it will be held from 1:00pm to 4:00pm, followed by our Networking Reception from 5:00pm to 6:00pm. The Networking Reception is open to all attendees.

If you are not able to check in on Friday morning, stop by the registration desk on Saturday morning, April 30, between 8:00am and 9:00am. Sessions will run from 9:00am to 6:30pm on Saturday with a break for lunch, followed by dinner at immediately after our keynote session, The Travel Climate in 2011. On Sunday, breakfast will begin at 9:00am and sessions end at about 1:00pm.  Check our agenda page for schedule updates.

Q: What can I expect from the Listing Workshop?
A: Vacation rental owner and author Christine Karpinski will walk you through each component of your listing to explain what makes an eye-catching headline, a thorough property description, stand-out photos and much more. She’ll review good and not-so-good examples of actual listings to discuss specific pointers for improvement. The Owner Community team will provide copies of your listing and our Listing Checklist so that you can receive suggestions for improving your own ad during our peer-to-peer evaluations.

Q: What is the dress code?
A: Austin is a very casual town, and jeans or shorts are totally acceptable. Please dress comfortably, casually and in layers. Although the average high temperature in Austin this time of year is around 85 degrees, the temperatures in meeting rooms tend to vary. Please also note that our Saturday lunch will be held outside, weather-permitting.

Q: Do I need to bring anything with me?
A: We will provide all necessary printed materials for each session. It is not necessary to bring a laptop with you. You will have wireless Internet access if you stay overnight at the Hilton, but access is not available during sessions.

Q: Will there be attendees from outside of Texas?
A: Yes, of course. People came from all over the world to attend HomeAway Summit 2010 in Austin, TX.

Q: How is HomeAway Summit 2011 different from the first HomeAway Summit in 2010?

A: Based on the success of our first-time event, we are expecting even more attendees this year, including many of the most enthusiastic owners from the 2010 Summit. Because networking was such a top priority for the attendees, we’ll host a Networking Reception on Friday evening to kick off the weekend, and we’ve added a dinner on Saturday night to give you even more opportunities to get to know your fellow vacation rental owners. At your request, we’ll also have exhibitor space for merchants this year, giving you the chance to meet with vendors whose products and services can help to improve your vacation rental business. And finally, we’ll be offering three tracks of sessions and longer breaks, allowing you to use your time more effectively to meet with vendors, Customer Support, or other homeowners.

Q: How is this event different from the typical HomeAway Seminars?
A: HomeAway Summit is significantly different from the seminars we’ve held for years! Our existing seminars have been a great success, but due to all the requests we receive for longer events and even more in-depth topics, we’ve enlisted the help of multiple industry experts to lead our sessions and workshops. HomeAway Summit is designed to focus on a variety of topics in a structured format while allowing more time for you to mingle with other homeowners from around the U.S., along with HomeAway, Inc. employees. Additionally, this event will only be offered once this year.

Q: Will Christine Karpinski be the primary speaker?
A: Christine will be speaking on a couple of panels during HomeAway Summit, but this will be a very diverse event. We are looking forward to learning from the experiences and perspectives of several experts in our industry.

Q: How much will HomeAway Summit cost to attend?

A: Prices for HomeAway Summit 2011 can be viewed on our pricing page.

Q: How do I know if I’m considered a customer?

A: You may register as a customer if you have at least one active listing on one of the HomeAway, Inc. sites, including HomeAway.com, VRBO.com and VacationRentals.com. Please contact us if you are not sure of the status of your listing(s).

Q: Why is HomeAway Summit going to cost more than the usual seminars?
A: Our typical seminars last 4-6 hours and include light snacks. HomeAway Summit is a weekend event with almost 2 full days of industry education, including individualized attention from HomeAway, Inc. employees. Additionally, HomeAway Summit will include the following meals:

Friday, April 29:
Networking Reception with open bar and light appetizers

Saturday, April 30
Continental breakfast
Deli lunch
Hot and cold beverages
Dinner

Sunday, May 1

Brunch
Hot and cold beverages

Q: Is my overnight stay included?
A: Your registration fee for HomeAway Summit does not include overnight accommodations. If you will be traveling to Austin for HomeAway Summit and wish to stay overnight, you may try to book a room at the Hilton Austin. Availability is not guaranteed. Visit the accommodations page for more information on booking at the Hilton or renting a wonderful vacation home in our area.

Q: If my spouse and I only have one property, do we each need to pay separately to attend?

A: Each person attending HomeAway Summit will have to pay a registration fee, but we are offering discounted guest pricing to accommodate spouses and partners. This fee will cover food and beverage expenses and administrative costs. Please see the pricing  page for more info.

Q: Where do I register for HomeAway Summit?
A: You can register for HomeAway Summit on our pricing page.

Q: What is the cancellation policy?
A: Space is very limited at HomeAway Summit. All fees for attending are nonrefundable. If you are concerned about your plans changing last minute, we encourage you to purchase travel insurance.

Q: Where is the event held?
A:
The Hilton Austin is located at 500 East 4th Street on the corner of 5th & Neches in downtown Austin.

Q: Where should I park?
A: The rates for the Hilton Austin parking garage are discounted for HomeAway Summit attendees: $27 for valet and $10 for daily self parking.

Q: Do I have to stay overnight at the venue?
A: You are welcome to make any overnight accommodations that you wish. To book your reservations at the Hilton Austin, call 1-800-236-1592 and mention the HomeAway Summit. You can also visit www.austin.hilton.com and select the arrival and departure dates from the drop down selection on the right side. We also encourage you to inquire about booking a stay at one of our area’s fantastic vacation rentals on HomeAway.com, VRBO.com or VacationRentals.com.

Q: Do I need to rent a car?
A: You do not need to rent a car for this event unless you would like to explore more of Austin. If you are flying to Austin to attend this event, a cab from the Austin Bergstrom International Airport to the Hilton Austin should be about $25.  You can also receive 10% off a Super Shuttle ride with our discount code. There are also several activities and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Visit our Austin area page for more info.

Q: Why did you select Austin to host the second annual HomeAway Summit?
A: According to last year’s survey results, the attendees loved Austin! From great barbecue and Mexican food to live music, the owners seemed to really take advantage of all that Austin has to offer. More importantly, though, we heard the attendees loud and clear when they asked us not to sacrifice employee attendance by moving to another city. So, since you enjoyed meeting our staff so much, we decided to hold the event here in Austin once again so you can continue to meet the faces behind our sites. Plus, with Austin’s central location in the U.S., we hope to accommodate owners from all over the country – and the globe!

Q: When are you coming to my city?
A: We hope to offer conferences in other cities in the future. For now, stay tuned for announcements about upcoming HomeAway Seminars.

Q: If I can't make it to Austin, will any material be available online?
A: We plan to post recordings of some of our sessions online following the event. If you are interested in receiving more information, please let us know. For now, check out the recordings of sessions from HomeAway Summit 2010.
Comments (0)

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now

Bookmarked By (0)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...