You may not be able to control your guests' water use, but you can do a few things around your vacation home to improve your water efficiency.
2. Install aerating, low-flow faucets and use 60% less water.
3. Install water-efficient showerheads. Showers account for 20 percent of total household water usage. Choose a showerhead that allows less than 2.5 gallons per minute and save 20,000 gallons of water each year.
4. Place a plastic bottle filled with water in your toilet tank to save 11 gallons of water per day.
5. Replace older (pre-1992), larger-use toilets with the new ultra-flush models.
6. Buy the most efficient hot water tank possible when it's time to replace your current model.
© Copyright HomeAway, Inc. 2011