Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
Currently Being Moderated

How to Start a Vacation Rental Business

VERSION 6  Click to view article history
Created on: Aug 26, 2009 3:56 PM by community-editor - Last Modified:  Dec 10, 2013 3:35 PM by beth
how to start a vacation rental business

Starting a vacation rental business can be an exciting prospect. Lucy W., a VRBO.com owner, told us, “Before I started renting out my vacation home, I was worried that it would be a hassle and that I wouldn’t attract the quality of renters I wanted.  Five years later and my vacation home practically pays for itself. And it’s been a real joy to be able to share the place I love so much with guests who return year after year.” 

Every vacation property is unique and special. No matter what kind of vacation home you own - single family home, condo, cabin, cottage, chalet, villa, apartment, estate, lodge, townhome, studio, castle, farmhouse, bungalow, or boat - and no matter what its peak rental season is, our quick reference guide will help you understand the ins and outs of starting a vacation rental business.

The first step in starting a vacation rental business is putting together a business plan and – if you don’t already own one -- purchasing a vacation property.

When buying a vacation rental property it's vital that you ask yourself a few key questions:

Once have your home purchase planned, it's time to figure out some details of how would like to run your business:

Next up, make sure that you have the right amenities:

Now it's time to advertise and pull in the renters:

These are just a few of the questions you should ask yourself when starting a vacation rental business. The key to entering into any endeavor and being successful is knowledge and preparation.
Comments (4)

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now