Skip navigation

Join the Vacation Rentals Conversation!

Get answers to all of your questions from fellow owners and travelers.

Join the CommunityX

CommunitySeek, Ask, and Share in the Vacation Rentals Community
Currently Being Moderated

Frequently Asked Questions

VERSION 15  Click to view article history
Created on: Dec 2, 2010 5:39 PM by laura - Last Modified:  Aug 2, 2013 12:19 PM by meredith

Q: How do I register?

A: Simply click “Register” at the top of your screen to complete our quick and easy registration process. Or, if you prefer, you can login with your Facebook account. Don’t forget to upload your profile image and avatar to personalize your account.

Q: What is a Forum?

A: Forums are a place for you to talk on global level.  Want to swap stories about how to increase rental revenue, best  practices, or which is the best model hot tub? Those discussions belong in our Forums. Read more about how forums work here.

Q: How do I post in a discussion?

A: You must be a registered member and logged in to post in a discussion. Once you are logged in, click “Reply” in the right corner of the post you want to respond to. After you’ve typed your message, remember to click “Add Reply.” Your post is now live!

Q: How do I start a discussion?

A: You must be a registered member of the site and logged in to start a discussion. Once logged in, simply click on “Start a discussion” under “Actions” on the right side of the page. You will then be provided with a place to give your discussion a title and a large text box for your question or thought. Don’t forget to click the “Post Message” button at the bottom of the discussion page.

Q: What are Groups?

Groups allow you to connect with other people like you, whether locally or globally. For example, if you own a vacation rental in Austin, Texas and have questions specific to next year’s Austin City Limits Festival, you’ll probably solicit more helpful feedback by posing your question to an Austin Group versus posting your question within one of the main forums. If you are looking for a particular group that does not seem to exist, create it!

Q: How do I create a Group?

A: Click New > Group to start creating a new group. There you will enter in your group's details. (And be sure to add tags so people can find you!) If there are lots of groups already, click Check Availability to make sure your group name isn't already taken. On the Group Created page, click the homepage link to go to your group's main screen. You can customize the overview page and start adding content. (The "Edit group detail" link will take you back to that page with the group settings if you want to change them  later.)

Q: How do I read and post messages in a Group?

Before you can read or post, you must request to join the group you are interested in. In the top right corner, you will notice a “Join the Group” link. Once you have been approved to enter the group, you will receive an email, and you can begin taking part in the discussion. Your posts will only be available for viewing by other members in this group.

Q: Where can I contact Customer Support?

Under “Customer Support” on the Community homepage, you will see that HomeAway.com, VRBO.com and VacationRentals.com now all have a new online support forum. You can ask your customer support-related questions here.

Q: I found a post that's offensive. Where can I report it?

A: If you come across a post that has questionable content, simply click "Report Abuse" on the right hand side of the page. From there, you will be asked to fill out a form that will help us determine the correct actions to take.

Q: I received a spam message from someone I don't know in my Private Message inbox, what should I do?

A: If you have received a private message from a user you don’t know, and it sounds like unwanted solicitation, please send an email to community@homeaway.com. Include the username and a copy of the message you received.  The Community Manager will take appropriate actions to prevent unwanted solicitations to our members.

Q: I’m not interested in joining a discussion. I’d like to find Owner Community articles, podcasts, sample forms and downloads.

A: No fear, all of the articles and downloads written by the Owner Community are still available! Just go to our Resource Library to begin your search. Please be patient while we migrate all of our content over. If you cannot find the article you are looking for, please visit ownercommunity.com to do a more thorough search.

Q: How do I turn off/edit email notifications?

A: You can turn email notifications off by going to “Your Stuff” in the navigation bar at the top of the page. Click on “Preferences,” then select the desired settings for your email notifications.  To see all notifications for which you receive email alerts, go to Your Stuff > Profile > Notifications. Select the items for which you’d like to stop receiving email notifications, and click on the button "Remove From List.”

Q: How do I change my time zone settings?

A: Be sure you are logged in, then go to Your Stuff > Preferences > General Preferences > Time Zone.

Comments (5)

Not a member?

JOIN THE COMMUNITY

Register Now